• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hypercarries are easy to shut down early if focus/camped and rely on snowballing mechanics, so organized teams and higher elo generally know to focus/camp targets early that could get out of hand later to stop them from getting the ball rolling
I guess, but I've found that you don't need to win lane as a hypercarry to be effective. It's obviously a lot better, but you can still get farm by splitpushing. Of course if they end the game in 20-30 minutes then you won't be able to turn it around in time, but I feel like games go longer than that on average now on soloq.

I actually win lane a lot as Shen, whereas I often lose it as Jax. Would you say it's better to pick a tank if you can win lane often, even if it means your on a timer to win the game before the enemy team outscales you?

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The enemy team isnt just going to let you sit there and splitpush, theyre going to pressure/force you back to your turret and/or off farm until you have to freeze your lane and watch them proceed to 5v4 the rest of your team since you cant leave, and as soon as you push away from your secondary or inhib turret, they'll just send Renekton or whoever up top to bully you into submission again. Hypercarries can still work so long as you can get that farm, but good players wont just let you farm all willy nilly.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ok fair enough. Do you think tanks can carry then? they're probably my favourite class at the moment, but they don't seem like the types to carry losing lanes.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Tanks are ridiculous mid/early game if fed since they generally have high enough bases or enough aoe/disruption to facetank everything and dish out a good amount of damage in return. They dont so much drop off late game so much as they lose that ability to laugh as they walk into 1v3s and come out with just a few scratches.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
In low bronze it's prolly better to go 1v1 gods like Jax or irelia as you said, get two items and tank afterwards and proceed to carry the team on your back. I honestly don't see shen or zac picked at all anymore though, weird top laners since the current dominant ones have been the same renekton trundle shyvana outside of Mundo falling off and ryze filling the void.
Whatever happened to Mundo, anyway? I missed the period where he was a major pick/ban, and I never see him. All that I see that changed was his cleaver width was nerfed. Did some itemization change mess him up or something?

Have any of you become interested in playing certain champions after playing them in URF mode? Were you pleased/disappointed with how they play normally? I played Galio in a ranked game yesterday and did very well, despite having random extreme lag. My favorite URF champ is Veigar (so fun since almost everything in that mode stacks AP) but I'm scared to play him outside of urf because it takes much more effort to reach 1-shot status.

Also I don't understand why Ryze isn't the number 1 top lane pick at the moment.
Boring as sin imo

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Perservance mastery nerfed and people finding out he isn't an invincible beast until level 6 while renenkton and shyvana can at least live from those instances, so you just make sure the jungler pressures him early on. Along with that cleaver nerf and him being kited easily compared to the other three, yea.

Those two can also get away with building bork/tiamat while mundo has to go sunfire early on. Basically just standing in a teamfight isn't gonna do much compared to a shyv with bork in dragon form jumping in or renekton with hydra with dominus in the team as well.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Mundo's dmg is nuts though. I remember I got 1v1d by a Mundo as Shen when I had an extra item than him. I had sunfire and visage and he had warmogs I think. And I ignited as well.

Also just got demoted due to an afk for the fifth time in a row. Down to B2 now. Rip silver. So close yet so far.

Lol

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shen is an even worse mundo that does less damage than him. Only redeeming factor is his ult.
So of course Mundo will outdamage a Shen, especially since his cleavers do % damage while his agony and sunfire is burning you down as well.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I am so sick of Ryze being a thing.

I'm pretty sure I've lost every single ranked game I've had a ryze on my team bar one in the past few weeks (and he's in like every single game). Ironically, I'm pretty certain the ryze is never EVER on the enemy team.

Like he is by far no where near as remotely useful as actual mid lane champions or actual tanks at top. He's off-meta damage carry who only works if the rest of the team is picking to cover his shortfalls. That's not the type of character I like seeing in every game. He will lose every lane and can somehow bounce back at 25-35 minutes if the game hasn't already been ended. And then he's still a short range squishie no escape mage who can't apply [good] cc, can't take towers or secure objectives, nor poke. Glorious.

The only thing going for him is his build path right now and the buffed teleport.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ryze beats most top laners and scales well, that's why he always goes top in the LCS. I agree he's not that good mid.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I played ranked last night to finally keep myself from decaying for the third time.

Still gaining 27 points and got to 53 from 26, but two losses cuz diamond xerath who plays him only and didn't say where he was going until last second since mid was taken. Him and lucian had bright idea to invade tryn jungle at red and gave a triple to Syndra with panth. Think our panth left at 9 minutes cause he accidentally gave another kill to her, basically making our mid a nonfactor since she was 4-0 before 5 minutes.

Next game we cud've won but fed ziggs and renekton wanted to splitpush instead of push a lane as a group, eventually Yi got items he needed outside of feral flare to carry team on his back. Duly noted to ban yi and possibly xin now.

Fiddle support usually isn't good, but one time I was forced on support enemy team chose singed riven and eve, all champs fiddle can **** with. ez :^)
That itch to play ranked tho... not satisfied, so will prolly stream in a few hours again or tonight if people wanna see me suffer while trying for plat 1 :DDDDDDDDD

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
My friend and I been cheesing bot lane with Quinn/Nami where we vault + aqua prison at level 1 (guaranteed aqua prison when timed properly)

Burning flashes/heals at level 1 and instant winning lane that way l0l.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
What do you guys think about nontraditional supports like anivia and maokai? It seems like their kits seem great for being supports.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Anivia egg baits are too good and then forcing flashes when people are in bushes and you wall block them in there.

Maokai uses too much mana sadly :(

Once Anivia's mana costs get tuned, she'll be a good support imo

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Are they tuning Anivia's mana costs?
I played her in urf and was horribly depressed when Vi could vault break through my walls every second. Like, come on.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What do you guys think about nontraditional supports like anivia and maokai? It seems like their kits seem great for being supports.
Lots of non traditional supports became viable in S4 with gold generatiin changes. My main supports are Nautilus and Shen, two champs with support-like kits but lacked the gold in S3 to be tanky enough to do their job. Anivia is probably good too. I know Velkoz got used in Challenger Series, and they have similar kits.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno about challenger series, but the one time Velkoz was used as support it got stomped on by Gambit. But remake cause aatrox bug so that vel'koz game technically didn't happen I guess.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I think Anivia is an underplayed support.
I feel like it's just a matter of time until somebody busts her out on the pro scene and she suddenly appears everywhere.
Her utility is just enormous, and her mobility isn't a problem when you're a support as that's basically every supports drawback.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think Anivia is an underplayed support.
I feel like it's just a matter of time until somebody busts her out on the pro scene and she suddenly appears everywhere.
This goes for pretty much every champ, 'Meta' isn't what is viable, it's what is being played by the pros. People seem to think that pros are infallible and that no champ that they don't play isn't good.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So you know how Galio feels godlike in URF mode? He's really still not bad in normal mode, I'm 2-0 with him in ranked with a stupidly good KDA, and I haven't even practiced the guy since sometime way back in s3. I suppose he's still a "niche" pick, but with Ryze top becoming so popular, I feel like he might see some more play if people are smart. I just picked him last game because the conditions were perfect: rest of my team was squishy (noc, sona, jinx, fizz) and enemy team had ryze top and Cass of all people mid. http://www.twitch.tv/hoidsa/b/519731530 he's so much fun, once you get a few level in Q and a grail, your damage is completely stupid and you can bully your opponent out easily if you're accurate (which I'm not very)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Or we can just use lolking.
Also I haven't seen you posting in awhile, I think. I dunno.

Either way their team actually had more teamfight than yours and a counter to both you and ww if either of you two zeroed in onto their Jinx or even kayle herself. Even then, still leona/soraka to heal with peeling and healing ****ing everything lol. Holy crap that team is all kinds of **** you outside of Fiora unless you count the fact you can't hit her.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
i like fiora

Why would you pick her in ranked though. That person is crazy.
Fiora is like Master Yi. She's 'supposed' to be bad but she carries so many games in reality because you just have to rock up to one skirmish and clean up the lowbies for a double or triple and you're unstoppable. She's thought to be bad because she doesn't win lane hard against most champs and isn't good in proper 5v5 teamfights unless she's fed, but if she gets fed off a chance skirmish there's basically no real counterplay to her.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So i just lost a ranked game and lost 4 lp dropping me to 69 lp, then i won a game and qualified for my promotion.

What the actual **** is up with my MMR lmao.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I used to run smite/tp master yi before FF just for fun. And even then, Master yi was a terror late game if my team survived laning phase well enough (as in at worst we were 3kish gold behind or so)

FF just gives Yi a good jungle item and brings his power spike sooner. Now instead of being a joke, he's a threat if he gets to farm for a reasonable amount of time.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
FF gives Master Yi the power he has when he gets fed without actually having to get fed.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The dumb thing about FF imo is that you "trade off ganking potential" but that's not entirely true, since there's nothing stopping you from ganking when your camps are down. Just makes your snowballing even that much scarier. The item's just really damn strong. I had a freaking Kayle jungle last game that built it and started rekking people even though I had to 1v2 bot lane for the first 5 minutes or so and lost my tower practically right away.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but feral flare is weaker than wits end's bonus damage to champs until you have farmed 36 camps (25 for FF and 9 to get +9 bonus damage added to 33 base for 42 magic damage). This isn't even counting the fact wits end will also shred MR

He's not hitting his power spike that fast now...

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It gives AD and AS speed with healing on hit. And is amazing objective control with the full damage on monsters.

Less magic damage but it can scale up that far pretty fast.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah pretty much. You've gotta get used to 1-2 man early barons now @_@
I'm not really liking this meta very much, because you either get the junglers who just need MUH STACKS so they don't help anyone at all and you get snowballed into oblivion, or a team gets carried by Yi/etc with farm getting pentakills. Basically the bad junglers are very bad (and demand jungle despite this fact) and the good ones are very good.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It gives AD and AS speed with healing on hit. And is amazing objective control with the full damage on monsters.

Less magic damage but it can scale up that far pretty fast.
My response is mainly for people complaining about Master Yi's damage. The sustain and objective control on it is amazing for any auto heavy champ, but its not gonna make them hit amazingly hard right away.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Even if it takes FF a while to match Wit's End's damage don't forget that it's giving you a significant gold boost from the two gold generation abilities. By the time FF's damage matches Wit's End on champs you're going to have a fat pile of gold too to spend on other items.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
That's so junglers can have as much money as laners who farmed fairly well. How's a farm jungler gonna carry otherwise?

Last edited:
Top Bottom