• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Anth0ny

Smash Master
My car consisting of David, Ryan, Bernard, Camilo, Myself: we will be leaving on Thursday, probably in the morning to make sure we arrive and GET SLEEEEEP.
k

people that aren't James, David, Ryan, Bernard and Camilo:

bus on thursday? if no other melee people go I'll just go with Brawl peeps and hopefully meet up with you guys there.

idea

Smash Master
In 10 years, are you gonna regret missing 3 days at the very beginning of one semester of school, or are you gonna regret not going to apex?

idea

Smash Master
alright james, here you go, in exquisite detail:

part 1
11:30-25:10, ryan vs. kage, winners semis according to kurtis
29:30-38:20, camilo vs. bam, winners quarters
39:50-53:45, raynex vs.bam, winners semis
56:10-1:04:50, kurtis vs. camilo, losers bracket...falcon dittos? really?
1:10:00-1:25:00, teams ryan bernard vs. kage bam, i guess winners finals?
1:27:30-1:36:00, camilo vs. kage, dunno where in bracket
1:41:25-1:51:35, me vs. bernard...that little interview you did afterward ends at 1:53:30

lol at "he beat pkm in pools"...pkm went dk and i was pretty close to getting 2-0'd <_< but he's smart so whatever. anyway thanks for the compliments guys <3

part 2
0:00-10:35, you and i vs. mike and camilo (and some talking afterward), should be losers quarters
14:30-36:25, you and i vs. kurtis and tristan, losers semis
17:50 = YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT
41:20-1:02:00, you and i vs. bam and kage, losers finals
1:04:45-1:20:10, ryan vs. bam, winners finals
1:22:35-1:41:35, bernard vs. camilo, losers semis
1:43:20-1:56:40, bernard vs. ryan, losers finals (game 2 = ryan's doc on fd)
1:59:15-[part 3], bernard vs. bam, grand finals

part 3
grand finals set 1 ends at 11:47
set 2 is 12:35-24:20

holy **** james, if you hadn't killed me with that upair i would have had 7 KILLS against bam and kage.

and the part where ryan 3-stocks bam then it goes to a shot of his expressionless face is priceless.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
pffffffffffffft

who needs school

VIDEO GAMES SON

missing two days, but it's the first week after the break, so really nothing important is happening
i love your attitude! :D

wouldn't you be technically missing 3? (thursday, friday, monday?)
(in my case) I don't have class Tues, and we go back on the 8th =D so it'd be missing one whole day.

In 10 years, are you gonna regret missing 3 days at the very beginning of one semester of school, or are you gonna regret not going to apex?
I'd regret missing first day of class... it's when the profs tell you the cheats on how to ace the course :awesome:

ps kyle that's amazing for 4 in the morning lol can you post the link too? LOL

Windrose

Smash Lord
Kyle and Jack both make valid points. However, there will be future international tournaments down the road. Unless of course, Apex is the be all and end all in which case...i think it's time to quit melee.

Also this is the last semester of my final year which is rather important to get everything together for the finishing up of grad school applications.

what's holding me up right now is just how well i do on my finals.

Essentially, if i do really poorly then i know i'll probably have to take a victory lap or something so i'll go to apex to cheer me up.

If i do really well on the exams, I'll also go to apex as a reward to myself.

The only situation is if i do mediocre in the exams in which case my potential of getting into grad school is up in the air. I'll be really annoyed at all the frustrations of uncertainty with the future that I won't want to cut any corners and try to just spend as much time as possible to get everything in order and spend extra time on the applications.

So this has nothing to do with driving or the fatigue from long travel which I am fine with. especially since jack is potentially going with us too so he can be the secondary driver. (unless his hospital schedule denies his chances of going to apex...we still got JPOBs and potentially anth0ny?? whom i'm sure at least one of them can drive...jpobs seems like the kind of guy who knows how to drive..i'm making all sorts of assumptions here...)

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
**Sorry for the long post** Hope you find it a good read David :)

I completely understand your situation David, and it sucks that you guys start a week before most unis which is really soon after new years O_O

It's nice to know that you have 2 sides to it, but honestly school first, and like you said, it likely won't be the last international tourney, and it's not the end of our lives.

I've spoken to many ppl about grad apps, and a friend was once late into getting his done and somewhat regretted it despite the fact he intended on doing another year. It's always good to have that option of proceeding on. I wouldn't call it a "victory" lap tho since it's not rare for ppl to take a 5th year undergrad...esp since I know a lot of ppl don't take the full courseload so they can balance work to finance their education.

Chances are I can get the shift swapped. iirc I don't work much that week and hopefully I'll be good enough at my job by then and I can likely get it swapped.

As for contenders/backup drivers to fill up your car, I have personally assisted in driving to Apex and Pound. I just get lonely sometimes when everyone else decides to sleep LOL. I also have another friend who wants to go, tho he's not quite up to the avg skill level just yet, the doc main (f=ma, newton, my age) not sure if you've met him, but as far as his driving qualifications go he's driven himself home (from Guelph, to Newmarket, which is ~1.5 hrs driving at 120km/hr ish, so there's some skill). Also worth noting is that he has his G since his co-op program requires it. I only have my G2 but that has never caused any issue.

Tristan I don't think drives cuz he's not from ON but is from Bahamas I think. Anthony I have no idea if he drives.

As for housing, if we don't find free housing (which may be difficult since our car doesn't have big names lol tho we could be the "Canadians" plainly lol) we could easily split housing 5 way. Since you have school, we could leave late thurs/early fri (I haven't checked the sched to see what days are what games).

In summary tho, it's totally up to you. Sure, we're encouraging you, but don't take that wrongly as your future endeavors are much more important to prepare for. Just don't be worried about filling up your car and having back up drivers since that part is covered :)

lol just noticed I typed with proper grammar for once....
srsbsns

edit:

so, melee pools start Friday the 6th, meaning we either drive in the day Thursday (the 5th) or overnight into the 6th. From previous experience lol driving overnight isn't quite the preferred option. I recall going 40+ hrs no sleep first day of Pound I think. Blargh. It was fun times regardless tho not gonna lie LOL

What this means is you might miss your Thursday classes? Fortunately I don't start class nor do I even have classes Thursdays. This problem is simply remedied by departing after your classes :)

Bracket plays until top 8 Saturday. And Sunday is only really the last 4-10 players (or so) for the bracket. Your car would probably be knocked out by then, and could easily leave Sat night, Sun morning, Sun night, and make it back for Monday the 8th for your Monday classes.

but seriously, would you want to miss grand finals? :( and the live hype while we already drove 8 hours?

If things go according to schedule (which for melee of this size it usually does iirc) singles begin to finish around 2pm, and MVC3 (irrelevent to us) starts around 4pm (brawl is 8pm but we don't care about that). We could easily leave Sunday evening.

I think with strategic planning, we could minimize the amount of Monday classes missed (yay for us) and minimizing hotel/housing costs WHILE even optimizing sleep. If we do commit to missing Monday classes, then we can easily rest up for the long drive back home. There are lots of options! :) I do believe I work the following Tuesday tho lol so we can't get back that late xD

Hope this forecasting appeals to you, David =D as remember your interest list is already consisting of me, Kyle, Newton, Tristan, uh I think Nick asked too, and Anthony unless he's bussing already.

idea

Smash Master
jack: http://www.twitch.tv/eschamptv/b/299872146

didn't feel like sleeping much tonight :p

Kyle and Jack both make valid points. However, there will be future international tournaments down the road. Unless of course, Apex is the be all and end all in which case...i think it's time to quit melee.

Also this is the last semester of my final year which is rather important to get everything together for the finishing up of grad school applications.

what's holding me up right now is just how well i do on my finals.

Essentially, if i do really poorly then i know i'll probably have to take a victory lap or something so i'll go to apex to cheer me up.

If i do really well on the exams, I'll also go to apex as a reward to myself.

The only situation is if i do mediocre in the exams in which case my potential of getting into grad school is up in the air. I'll be really annoyed at all the frustrations of uncertainty with the future that I won't want to cut any corners and try to just spend as much time as possible to get everything in order and spend extra time on the applications.

So this has nothing to do with driving or the fatigue from long travel which I am fine with. especially since jack is potentially going with us too so he can be the secondary driver. (unless his hospital schedule denies his chances of going to apex...we still got JPOBs and potentially anth0ny?? whom i'm sure at least one of them can drive...jpobs seems like the kind of guy who knows how to drive..i'm making all sorts of assumptions here...)
okay. no pressure. wouldn't want to make you feel pressured into going, i can always figure out busing and stuff if i need to.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Ya like Jack said, I don't drive cuz I'm not form this country and don't have candian license so just out of precaution I prefer not too.

Also, read everything jack said cuz its pretty much exactly what I was going to say about the situation.

idea

Smash Master
i want nick to go...he's been doing pretty well lately, despite living in ottawa. and maybe it's finally the time when james will adapt to US playstyles and start ****** them too? only time will tell...

Since you did a great amount of work, I'll get on that when I get home Kyle lol. Just so you know though XD you can highlight too you know haha...could have just done it as you watched, then I would have just uploaded.
no rush. lol, oh yeah, forgot about that. this is just as well, though, since highlighting it wouldn't have told you who was playing or what part of the bracket. (which wasn't that much extra work really, since i wanted to watch most of the sets anyway...they're really good)

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty guy, a big thank you to Kyle for taking the time to go through the videos =). Just finished highlighting and setting everything to upload to youtube. should appear on mysterysauc3 I believe shortly.
It may have split some of them I dunno, I missed a crucial check box :p but next time I'll know for that much...if there's anything you want me to edit, let me know so I can fix it asap.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Unfortunately, I don't drive =(

As for Monday classes... I "need" to be back by 4:30PM (that class keeps track of attendance). But I really don't care about missing a class or two at the beginning of the semester. Apex is worth it.

Windrose

Smash Lord
oh wow...i finally got the diablo 3 beta invite....

RIGHT AS EXAMS START...

...what the hell is with all these temptations.

idea

Smash Master
so now that the videos are up, you wanna make the thread, or should i?

(if i do it i won't really have time to until thursday night or friday)

unknown522

Some guy
good stuff on the vids guys.

Also, they made a way to make water areas annoying in Skyward sword on Hero mode: On top of taking 2x damage in general, you lose your oxygen twice as fast underwater >_<

Wang.

Smash Apprentice
I also have another friend who wants to go, tho he's not quite up to the avg skill level just yet, the doc main (f=ma, newton, my age)
Lies. He's the best.

Hi David,

You should go.

Grad school apps are out of your control anyways.

Not like staying at home and sulking over it is gonna make them accept you. (Unless you're behind in applying, if so, get to it.)

If its any consolation, I'll drive with you <3.

But you have to teach me how to play.

I suck.

:(

idea

Smash Master
Citing stuff for philosophy essays makes me laugh sometimes. I can often just flip to a random page to quote something because philosophers are so damned repetitive and wordy they say the same thing on almost every page.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
lmao some of the people posting in the international crew are so ******** XD. this made me laugh pretty hard tho...someone says David is overrated then strongbad responds with this

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13771475&postcount=73

Honestly at the rate things are going and people are talking **** + the lack of affinity some of us have towards this crew, they may as well make it USA vs Europe (If they have enough players going). It honestly doesn't feel very hype having them take like one of our best players and slapping him in a crew of people he doesn't know...it's not like Ryan, David, Bernard, Imadh or even Camilo are going to feel any remorse for losing, so **** it. It'd be pointlessly nerve wracking to be on a team of people who don't openly believe in you or want to depend on you.

Do any of you really feel like you ABSOLUTELY MUST be on the crew?

idea

Smash Master
Depending on how many of us go, i'd rather see some combination of

USA vs. Europe
Europa vs. Canada
USA vs. Canada (most unbalanced so I put it last)

idea

Smash Master
If we can use all of Canada,

Diakonos
Blunted
Sion
David
Bernard
Ryan
Imadh (if he were going, otherwise replace with Camilo)
Kage
Bam
Vwins

edit: oh **** really? the great I.B. is going? awesome

Top Bottom