• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Mass Madness 9:
1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

So much diversity.

KingAce

Smash Ace
LOL yeah conneticut is like all snakes + meta. but have you checked out the UCLA close to 200 man tourny? They had a wario win it, with marth/snakes and wolf coming in top 8 i believe

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Matt =D We all need to fest together soon. We COULD come to Sauga, but I think now that IB experienced Scarborough hospitality (lol buttsecks?) you'll be coming here.

Edit: *Shrug* I'm just joking about Brawl. I know there are like... 8-9 characters playable at tournament level, it's just that 2 of them are overwhelmingly more broken then the others.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
What is this ****!?! So a lot of people are playing Melee still while others have moved to Brawl eh? I don't know what's going on with this community anymore, lol. Where the fudge is the footage?! I wanna see some brawl footage!

I still don't get why metaknight is top tier.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
What is this ****!?! So a lot of people are playing Melee still while others have moved to Brawl eh? I don't know what's going on with this community anymore, lol. Where the fudge is the footage?! I wanna see some brawl footage!

I still don't get why metaknight is top tier.
Tai, T9 is going to be RIGHT by your house. Dufferin & Eglinton. Melee and Brawl tournaments lol.

D

Deleted member

they should totally ban snake and metaknight. oh, and that lame grab marth can do to ness and lucas.

kinda ruins two characters competitively. :(

D

Deleted member

perhaps. have you seen jls ness? have you seen nates lucas?

theyre pretty viable.

its just a little sad that marth completely ***** them, preventing people from sticking with them and advancing the metagame

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I was gonna make a rant about brawl as a fighting game and all it's flaws, especially compared to others. But I won't do it. I'll just simply ask you if you've seen Gimpyfish's Bowser in brawl. It's just as viable.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
^ I think you just have a lack of info. Lucas is REALLY good. Dair is too good for damage output and combos, and Lucas is a versatile character who can switch between defence and offence really well. Much better character than Bowser. It sucks extra for me because I've recently discovered new things that have made my Lucas incredibly better, but the infinite grab makes it sort of worthless.

Now for the Marth grab..... yeah I think it should be banned because of how gamebreaking it is against those 2 characters by giving them animpossible matchup. Other characters who are worse off as far as ability may have bad matchups as well, but they dont have any impossible ones... thus these worse characters are suddenly MUCH more playable in tournaments yet they are worse. Just ban the infinite re grabbing.... this means marth STILL gets free struggle damage and a clean forward smash.... just not an instant stock and insane time to stock count advantage.

Now, even if the grab doesn't get banned.... I'm still gonna play Lucas, it just means I'll have to do it in a double blind pick, or on my counterpick after the opponent selects someone other than Marth... but I will be forced to play other characters during the tournament or eat insta death.

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, that grab thing is QUITE lame.... but alas.

Thankfully, Nate, I don't think anyone who brawls with any of us regularly with us would ditch their main and switch to Marth JUST to do that to you. I wouldn't, at least.

And JL's Wario is very good.... T_T

GenER!X

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna have to agree with Mike on this one. Especially since it doesn't involve more than 3 characters which makes this a pretty weak argument to call a ban.

Either:

A) Don't get grabbed

B) Pick a different character so you don't get *****

If it really is that impossible then just go MK. You're the only Lucas player I know and JL is the only Ness player I know even though I've never seen him play Ness. And there aren't as many Marth mains out there in Brawl as there are in Melee. And, if this really was such a big deal then why isn't JL on this case too?

And like Max said: I don't think people are going to be b****es and go Marth-Lucas on you out of spite.

Besides, this is ONE matchup out of 37 possible ones and about 15 likely ones

This is silly. Banning tactics?

does anyone else think this new layout for the forums is dumb as **** o_o;;
Yes, me. I too hate the new layout. There was nothing wrong with the old one.

KingAce

Smash Ace
they should totally ban snake and metaknight. oh, and that lame grab marth can do to ness and lucas.

kinda ruins two characters competitively. :(
lol are you being serious... metaknight is not as overpowered as you guys make him to be. you kno people complain about his tornado a lot but there are many ways around it, and mk just ends up taking more damage then he deals if he spams it too much. and with mk sure his moves are almost lagless and he has a lot of range with a nice grab game. although me n rae even noticed you can be kicking someones *** completely for like 90%+ or even 1 stock but then other characters can kill him at around 70-80%... for example game and watches dsmash which comes out really quick... snakes utilt so honestly theres no reason to ban a character like mk, julian beats out mks with wario, GK beats metaknights with a whole bunch of different characters and its not because all the metaknight users over here arent good.. because in parts of the usa other characters like marth, wario, wolf are doing just fine against mks

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
^He's not serious Kingace....

Yeah, I never ACTUALLY expected a ban, thus the point of my third paragraph. I already thought out the fact that Lucas can still be used but not exclusively. The opponent must not have confirmation that you're choosing Lucas.
Not everyone would go for the gay matchup.... but Mike's right that you're kidding yourself if you think people wont. Hell some kid already tried it in pools and I still barely won ( due to the kids inexperience.)

Also, don't get grabbed is a HORRIBLE arguement for this game. Works better for melee ( even though of course you're still gonna get grabbed there too)

KingAce

Smash Ace
Oh alright cause i was hearing some stuff about banning mk and snake from tournies at the biweekly yesterday.. and that kinda threw me off. anyways i think the infinite shouldnt be banned... i dont know 2 much about melee but isnt wobbling basically the same thing and that was never banned.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Banning the top tiers usually accomplishes nothing but making the high tiers then become the top tiers.
Only is some cases does it actually push the gameplay further ( Old Sagat, ST Akuma etc.)

Also as for the infinite no..... there has never been anything that worked anywhere on level.... and all starts with a normal grab. Wobbling was not exactly the easiest thing to do all the time and had much harder timing.

J.L

Smash Ace
yeaa needles were cool. but i watched a match with him playing. he rarely used it. and the times he did, he sorta got punished. but im sure david can do a much better job with the needles.

MDK00

Smash Ace
so i got a chance to learn some melee from IB and adnan... so obviously havin played brawl first, i made some funny mistakes but also quickly realized (not that i didnt know before, but experiencin it 1st hand is way different) what separates most players from each game

but anyways jus some things i noticed while playin...
- in brawl u can litterally hold shield and do a d-smash etc in melee u cant (the reaction on adnan and IBs face was priceless when i mentioned this)
- shield grab seems... i dont know how to explain but i guess not as viable as in brawl? in brawl seriously if u block something and they are in range ur a$$ is gettin shield grabbed no questions asked. forgive me if i dont know what im talkin about lol
- watchin a brawl player smash sidedodge in the air is funny as hell. i give out free combos because of bad habits. too funny hahaha
- tech chase is so much more vital in melee than in brawl
- comebacks are much easier in melee than in brawl. this is something i like. in brawl if you get an early lead you can pretty much expect to win as long as you hold your game consistent for the rest of the match.

more or less melee is very fun, but so is brawl. i'll plan to play both, but i wont enter a melee tourny for awhile lol every1 is too good hahaha.

btw thnx again to IB and adnan for teachin me core basics. i've had ppl teach me how to play certain games but none were as informative and supportive as the two of you were. once again, thanks!

J.L

Smash Ace
melee will always be one of the best games ive ever played. its diff from brawl and i miss the fast pace and comboes. not gonna lie. i miss marth too lol.

but yeaa brawl is still fun too. both are good games to play. i wouldnt mind playing some friendly melee once in a while.

Top Bottom