• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Hey, i'm new to smash boards, but definately not to melee.
first of all, i'd like to introduce myself, i'm jansen from scarborough and i attend mary ward.
my main is dr.mario, and i freaking hate brawl. so, does anybody have any pointers?
jansen i know you in rl.

lmfao i lost your msn what is it again?

idea

Smash Master
Brawl isn't that bad =[ .

I mean, playing with items is REALLY FUN, and so is teams.

Also, I can see Eric's posts.
me too, they're in english but a different font. i expect this is firefox translating it for me.

sweet, i'm excited to get into competitive Melee, first, i need to start playing again, last i played was summer, haha, and it's good to get away from brawl, all of my friends think brawl is superior to melee, they're so wrong.
brawl is a more casual game, i think that should be obvious by now...for more 'competitive' gaming melee is clearly the way to go. and even outside of all the analysis that goes on, i find melee much more fun =)

Soooo true.

K we should stop talking about Brawl now before people run at us with flaming torches and pitch forks.
brawl is a video game. ...if you give no opinions people can't get mad at you =) come to gta more.

idea

Smash Master
double post cause the other one is long enough -

for isai sandbagging, watch the set of his falcon vs. dsf's fox. a few times it looks like he's actually waiting till he has one stock left to start trying.

Wangster

Smash Apprentice
double post cause the other one is long enough -

for isai sandbagging, watch the set of his falcon vs. dsf's fox. a few times it looks like he's actually waiting till he has one stock left to start trying.
i saw dat 1 lyk a weekend ago, n man, he doesnt get hit wen he tries

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I think you're typing in some kind of Japanese font...your text just looks like boxes. Lots and lots of boxes.
And yeah, Boxes mean that you don't have the language packs.
Eric stop posting in Japanese ;o, haha
Also, I can see Eric's posts.
me too, they're in english but a different font. i expect this is firefox translating it for me.
lol <3 you guys.

I had my japanese keyboard on and in Hiragana because I was doing something. I made the first letter a capital so the rest would turn into english so that people could read it. I didn't think that even if I did that you'd still need the language pack lol.

Japanese mindgames ftw lol

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Wangster: Watch darkrain if you want to learn how to play Falcon in the new metagame. Isai is one of my favourite players, but the majority of his vids are dated. They don't teach you how to deal with gimpy marths and technical foxes. Falcon's in melee today need to learn to read and predict out of a grab and take stocks. Darkrain's techchasing is more refined, and he is alot more aggressive. Watch him instead.

<3 Isai but he needs to stop sandbagging.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I use internet explorer. It was diff. font, but English.
Lol, EV list, another Pokemon master brewing :3

btw, I hope you are not grammar bashing, that is not cool.

and <generic brawl comment here, self explainitory>
I meant the Lil Wayne thing in his Google toolbar.

And also, whats wrong with Grammar bashing? =P
All he needed to do was switch "do" with "am" and it would be 100% corect.

Moar upb, it needs it.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Isai was one of the best 3 players in the world for a long time. A large part of that time included a period of playing where he just blatantly didn't try or give a ****. That time extends into 2006, he beat Ken at Orlando, Chu in Vegas, etc. I could rave for a while about the talent he has/had actually.

The problem is learning from him. It's hard to take anything out of the matches where did try because they're 4 years older, or more. And learning from his more recent vids, which are dated themselves, is a problem because he blatantly sandbags. He just ***** people's *** in 64 now sadly.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Isai was one of the best 3 players in the world for a long time. A large part of that time included a period of playing where he just blatantly didn't try or give a ****. That time extends into 2006, he beat Ken at Orlando, Chu in Vegas, etc. I could rave for a while about the talent he has/had actually.

The problem is learning from him. It's hard to take anything out of the matches where did try because they're 4 years older, or more. And learning from his more recent vids, which are dated themselves, is a problem because he blatantly sandbags. He just ***** people's *** in 64 now sadly.
Rave plz, I wana hear more about Isai. He is just too good, I wish he still played.=(

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Isai and Ken are 2 amazing players, who I wish would start playing seriously again because they would be able to compete at the very top level of this game. Watch any match of Ken/Isai in teams. It's mostly Isai getting 8 kills while never dying + saving Ken.

They're both good at reading people, very good. Which isn't something you can really teach to someone. They have the intangibles that most players don't/will never have. In terms of recent players, I think that both Cactuar and PKM (ok he's been around for a while but >_> you get the idea, maybe current would have been a better word) are sexy in the way that they were.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I meant the tupac thing in his Google toolbar.
I know. I used that as a point to merge into the poke, mokay?

And also, whats wrong with Grammar bashing? =P
All he needed to do was switch "do" with "am" and it would be 100% corect.
Because you are also fallible. :bee:

but teh srsly, if you don't know what I am talking about -> lol.

Meverse

Smash Cadet

it's true man. darkrain's metagame is fun n productive to imitate. isai's metagame is impossible to imitate. only isai can do it.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
It's quite cool to see the metagame back then with the top players. It didn't change that much. lol
the game seemed slower back then though. less trading training moding each other and more trading hits and mini combos.. thats what i've found anyways

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
it's true man. darkrain's metagame is fun n productive to imitate. isai's metagame is impossible to imitate. only isai can do it.
People throw the word "metagame" around without really knowing what it means.

Wikipedia:

Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. In other words, sometimes using out-of-game information, or resources, to affect one's in-game decisions.

Full article with examples: http://www.reference.com/search?q=Metagame

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I guess but even then.. back then they were clearly ahead of everyone else. Definitely something you can't train is the ability to read someone else. You either have it or you don't. You can train technical to your limits and then if you fail at reading your opponent then you will be stuck at a plateau.

B_Mak

Smash Cadet
I guess but even then.. back then they were clearly ahead of everyone else. Definitely something you can't train is the ability to read someone else. You either have it or you don't.
kinda disagree...I've played with a lot of different people and through maybe 2 or more matches, sometimes you start to see trends in how they play, and especially knowing how long they've been playing, they've had that experience to play against a LOT of different people with similar play styles.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think you can develop reading.

I think reading in general is underrated as a skill in smash because of how powerful simple spacing strategies, difficult-to-punish approaches, and covering multiple options (or yourself) can be. Consequently, people don't train themselves to be able to perform the "mind-reading" type of gameplay, partly because it's harder to do because it's a sort of abstract and varies for every opponent, and it's not needed for a lot of them (I don't think anyone in top tier actually needs reading skills in the vast majority of their common matchups although if you disagree that's fine I will probably ignore you though).

I think for reading the caps and plateaus are probably more prominent as well. How do you "read" someone harder? How do you decide when to "read" or when not to? How do you differentiate when you're "reading" and not making an educated guess? Is there even a difference? Since it's mostly an independent, personal skill that you're mastering there's no way of really getting assistance. You can't learn how to "read" from someone and similarly you can't teach someone else how to "read". You can, of course, explain common patterns (most people DI <x> this way, most <character>s tech this way, etc) but those are superficial habits that change a lot when people reach that higher level.

TL;DR reading is really hard and you can't really be taught it. People with reading talent (that visual/spacial problem solving skills and good intuitive abilities) probably have a huge advantage in that area of smash because it's sort of hard to learn.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
X.X Super awesome discussion with Kage

Roustane Benzeguir says:
I sort of have a list of characters of the difficulty to go through the shield lol
*Suju* --- Hard to Concentrate says:
oh
i wanna hear this
Roustane Benzeguir says:
like peach is pretty easy
Roustane Benzeguir says:
jiggs is easy
Roustane Benzeguir says:
marth is easy
Roustane Benzeguir says:
falcon is medium
Roustane Benzeguir says:
Ganon is hard
Roustane Benzeguir says:
i mean in ditto
Roustane Benzeguir says:
fox and falco is quite hard too
Roustane Benzeguir says:
I can backfist through the shield better vs fox and falco
Roustane Benzeguir says:
you have to aim above their head
Roustane Benzeguir says:
Sheik is medium too i think
dk?
Roustane Benzeguir says:
Medium

BTW, your ability to read other players is something you can work on over time.

Top Bottom