• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja vs Other Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Zoroark is the only one of the new pokemon rep hopefuls who is truly out IMO and thats only due to his all but confirmation that he's a pokeball pokemon in the trailer.

godogod

Smash Ace
Wow. Greninja's roll is actually pretty good. Fast and covers a decent size.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
I am wondering if that "supposed" quick attack like recovery move can be combined with the teleporting. That would keep a lot of opponents guessing where Greninja will strike as a ninja next. Would be good to see if you can teleport, throw a water attack, then "quick attack" to the enemy as they try to block the water projectile attack and as Greninja mess that up with a grab, then combo.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
That hawlucha isn't to small

I didn't say that the "too small/big" wasn't valid argument, I was saying it was a bad argument for hawlucha, and I proved that
And you proved it how? Are you trying to benefit my understanding of the subject or are just trying to win an argument for the sake of winning?

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
And you proved it how? Are you trying to benefit my understanding of the subject or are just trying to win an argument for the sake of winning?
a little of both, you're right about him not being as relevent, but too small is definitely not true

alright, hawlucha is 2 feet, about twice the size of pikachu and squirtle

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
The problem with that part is if we put him in the game like that, twice the size of Pikachu, then he'd be bigger than Lucario.

I say he's too small because someone would have to resize him to be the same as Pikachu and that just doesn't sit right with me because of his anatomy.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Hawlucha is too small and too irrelevant to be in Smash. Chesnaught isn't popular enough. Sylveon has 4 leg syndrome.

Blaziken works. He's actually pretty popular. Mewtwo is my man.

For a Poke rep I'd choose Sceptile. He isn't very popular but he is a starter and his anatomy suggest an easy move set.
But sylveon has those ribbon things like Ivysaur

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
Blaziken could be a copy of C. Falcon if he were a character, I believe

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Sylveon has 4 leg syndrome.
Okay.

1.) Ivysaur moved on 4 legs. Ivysaur wielded items using her vines. Sylveon has her ribbons, which she can control like Ivysaur's vines.

2.) Pikachu holds items in his mouth. She could do that.

There is no problem with Sylveon's Smash capacity. The Honedge line clearly isn't capable, but Sylveon makes sense.

@ Topic:
Greninja kills the chances of any other 6th generation Pokemon newcomers, for sure. Greninja most likely kills the chances of all other pokemon newcomers. Greninja does nothing to for the chances of Pokemon Veterans (Jigglypuff, Pichu and Mewtwo). Jigglypuff's spot is practically assured, so the only thing affecting Mewtwo's chances is whether or not Sakurai wants to give Pokemon 5 roster spots. I doubt Pichu would get in, but I won't rule it out.

Greninja probably kills the chances of other Ninjas (not Sheik obviously). It may have some bearing on Takamaru's chances, simply because Greninja uses some similar equipment (even if they're made of water).

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Okay.

1.) Ivysaur moved on 4 legs. Ivysaur wielded items using her vines. Sylveon has her ribbons, which she can control like Ivysaur's vines.

There is no problem with Sylveon's Smash capacity. The Honedge line clearly isn't capable, but Sylveon makes sense.

@ Topic:
Greninja kills the chances of any other 6th generation Pokemon newcomers, for sure. Greninja most likely kills the chances of all other pokemon newcomers. Greninja does nothing to for the chances of Pokemon Veterans (Jigglypuff, Pichu and Mewtwo). Jigglypuff's spot is practically assured, so the only thing affecting Mewtwo's chances is whether or not Sakurai wants to give Pokemon 5 roster spots. I doubt Pichu would get in, but I won't rule it out.

Greninja probably kills the chances of other Ninjas (not Sheik obviously). It may have some bearing on Takamaru's chances, simply because Greninja uses some similar equipment (even if they're made of water).
Honedge could be marth if you make marth invisible

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Okay.

I think I stated somewhere already that not all characters are subdued by the 4 leg syndrome. Regardless, I still think Sylveon wouldn't work. Let's be honest, though, Ivysaur was only in because Charizard wasn't a stand alone character.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think I stated somewhere already that not all characters are subdued by the 4 leg syndrome. Regardless, I still think Sylveon wouldn't work. Let's be honest, though, Ivysaur was only in because Charizard wasn't a stand alone character.
I don't see why she wouldn't, but different strokes. Er, even if that is the case about Ivysaur, she still worked just fine (better than some other Pokemon. Have you seen Pikachu hold a crate? It looks so bad).

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I'm guessing only the addition of Jigglypuff and then that's it. Sakurai also said that the selections were tough himself, so I'm guessing that he had to cut the pokemon line-up a bit short. I agree that Greninja destroyed any chances of another Gen 6 poke showing up, so veterans are the most likely additions. With Lucario I feel that Mewtwo won't be included due to their similar movesets, and Pichu was more of a joke character than anything else.

As for the argument over Sylveon and Hawlucha, I feel that both of them were never as popular as Greninja. Hawlucha got brief hype as Fighting/Flying, but that died away really fast, and Sylveon's hype also died away in favor of other more interesting fairy types. Greninja remained consistently popular due to his competitive viability and due to his absolutely wonderful looks. The argument about four legs and size isn't that plausible as well, as we can see via other characters.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
posting this video for info so we can see how some of the other new characters work and Greninja players can use it for strategies. The video covers Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman, Villager, Rosalina and Little Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svE-wzBg4k

I am thinking with Rosalina, perhaps we should do a good grab game and fight her up close as much as possible.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
posting this video for info so we can see how some of the other new characters work and Greninja players can use it for strategies. The video covers Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman, Villager, Rosalina and Little Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svE-wzBg4k

I am thinking with Rosalina, perhaps we should do a good grab game and fight her up close as much as possible.
This isn't a thread about matchups, it's a thread about how Greninja's inclusion affects the possibility of inclusion of other characters. ;)

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
with the announcement of Palutena, I think that will be one tough fight. You have to nail the speed and make some effective combos to win against her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Unfortunately, Impa suffers from Greninja's inclusion I always felt.

Not only are they both ninjas, but the whole screen time Greninja got with Sheik bothered me greatly. Shadow Sneak also could've been an attack for Impa, being the Sage of Shadows and all. But even worse, in Hyrule Warriors, Impa appears to have water powers:

So, that kinda really sucks. But I could still see her making it in, as she's the only logical Zelda newcomer at this point. But still, the similarities bug me.

Shog

Smash Ace
Who cares about Impa? Wasn't she in like one game(I mean this form, not the old gramma). We got Shiekah already covered, too.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Who cares about Impa? Wasn't she in like one game(I mean this form, not the old gramma). We got Shiekah already covered, too.
She's been 'ninja'-like in three games now:
-Ocarina of Time
-Skyward Sword
-And now Hyrule Warriors.

Shog

Smash Ace
Still don't think Impa > Greninja. The water part makes sense on Greninja, on Impa not(don't forget that Hyrule Warriors come after this/in development. That's like saying Future Mario wouild deserve being here or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom