• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Down Taunt Used Offensively

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
Oh well :/
I wish I had people to test a bunch of these with xD

I'm still wondering about: mii swordsman whirling leap, bowser jr clown kart, and Luigi/pikachu's skull bash...

I just tested it mid-battle: down-taunt defeats whirling leaps. I fact, they keep going after they hit the waterspouts. In this case, my friend went right off the edge.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
this taunt is the secret of how i win on for glory

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
It is definitely a unique taunt/attack, but I it comes out to slow to be used effectively imo.

Spirst

Like, combo into shadow sneak? Definitely not. Dtaunt KB is vertical.

Only thing I can think of is covering ledge options. Dtaunt to get roll while shadow sneak to read regular getup/ledge attack. Even then, you have to input the shadow sneak ahead of time and they can always just jump and then hit you for being a pretentious fool.

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
Shieldstun increase! Can down taunt actually have uses now...?

Catch somebody standing next to the ledge with their shield out, and punish afterward...? I guess it really depends on when the taunt pokes through their shield. If it pokes through too early, you could get punished.

Last edited:

Step

Smash Rookie
I was practicing in some friendlies yesterday and remembered this thread. I caught my opponent with the downtaunt and they were so shocked/confused by what just happened that I was able to follow up with an up-smash to take the stock! It put him on tilt so badly that I was able to come back from a 50% deficit to win the match!

Best moment of my day, so thank you for this thread ^_^

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Okay, so... this may be the dumbest tech ever lol, but I was able to pull it off a couple times and it was incredibly satisfying.

I read through this topic and the topic about Slide Pivoting, and started thinking about putting them together, and was a bit surprised I didn't see that mentioned in either topic. Again there's probably 100 better options, but... it's awesome to be able to Slide Pivot into dtaunt lol. Adds mobility to slightly offset the startup for dtaunt, and nobody expects you to do THAT haha.

I was playing on FG the other day, and was losing by a decent amount to a Diddy... and then the Slide Pivot dtaunt "won me the game" haha. All I really got off of it was an uair, but I think it rattled my opponent because he started playing noticeably worse after being hit by the taunt. Was able to make a big comeback after that and win.

I don't know, I just think hitting with the taunt is kinda funny, but actually combining it with the Slide Pivot to use it as a quasi-legitimate approach option is downright hilarious lol.

(I'd post a video but I didn't record anything... but I'm sure none of you would have a problem replicating it yourselves.)

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
Okay, so... this may be the dumbest tech ever lol, but I was able to pull it off a couple times and it was incredibly satisfying.

I read through this topic and the topic about Slide Pivoting, and started thinking about putting them together, and was a bit surprised I didn't see that mentioned in either topic. Again there's probably 100 better options, but... it's awesome to be able to Slide Pivot into dtaunt lol. Adds mobility to slightly offset the startup for dtaunt, and nobody expects you to do THAT haha.

I was playing on FG the other day, and was losing by a decent amount to a Diddy... and then the Slide Pivot dtaunt "won me the game" haha. All I really got off of it was an uair, but I think it rattled my opponent because he started playing noticeably worse after being hit by the taunt. Was able to make a big comeback after that and win.

I don't know, I just think hitting with the taunt is kinda funny, but actually combining it with the Slide Pivot to use it as a quasi-legitimate approach option is downright hilarious lol.

(I'd post a video but I didn't record anything... but I'm sure none of you would have a problem replicating it yourselves.)
That's amazing. I'd never thought of using slide pivots...

Top Bottom