• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I haven't seen that either nor I don't remember seeing anyone doing grabs.
I saw someone use a grab and do the up throw on someone. The victim was entrapped in water and then Greninja throws him/her straight up. I'll see if I can find it.

Mankut

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seems like the neutral aerial is more so designed to be a combo breaker then an straight forward attack. It sort of reminds me of the Burst mechanic from Guilty Gear.

Last edited:

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Can substitute be activated by projectiles?
Cuz in the trailer, Substitute was activated when he got hit by the reflected Water Shuriken

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So...is the Final Smash called Mat Block or Night Slash? Or is it both? Mat Slash Nightblock? Sounds like a cartoon character.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I've watched like a dozen videos yet I can't find Greninja's nair actually hitting anyone. I'll update this when (if) I find it.
The move is balls-awful. Has the smallest hitbox window I've ever seen on any normal of all Smash games. There must be something to it (invuln, shine-like startup maybe) that I'm missing, because I was fastfalling it over and over and it seemed pure ass.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
The move is balls-awful. Has the smallest hitbox window I've ever seen on any normal of all Smash games. There must be something to it (invuln, shine-like startup maybe) that I'm missing, because I was fastfalling it over and over and it seemed pure ***.
It's a really good combo ender actually, but the hitbox isn't that bad. It's closer to Mewtwo's NAir but it's a single hit knock back move. I really liked it!

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
It's a really good combo ender actually, but the hitbox isn't that bad. It's closer to Mewtwo's NAir but it's a single hit knock back move. I really liked it!
Hm, good idea. It could be his finisher. His air normals didn't seem to have any high knockback in specific for any of his moves, but I didn't test nair.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I played Greninja several more times today. Some things to note:
- Greninja's Down Throw is not an Izuna Drop. It is just a slam into the ground.
- Greninja's Up Air is a spinning kick with some spinning motion blurs. Very flashy, not too powerful, but hits a lot.
- Substitute never gave us a pokedoll (in my matches and the matches I saw, it was a log). The log can be interacted with after.
- Down Air is still fantastic. Flashy and useful.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I saw the doll myself twice. Actually never got the log lol.

I didn't really get any sort of combos going, but it's hard when you got 2 people and items flying at you while you're trying to do something though lol. Wanna say I got Bair>Nair at low percent, but tbh, wasn't paying a huge amount of attention.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Perhaps the doll or log happens depending on the power of the countered attack? That, or it's random.

Neo Zero

Perhaps the doll or log happens depending on the power of the countered attack? That, or it's random.
Does his counter change at all depending on direction? For what it's worth, both times I used it I just teleported behind them and shot straight horizontally hitting them. I wanna say I've seen him attack from above using Sub too.

I'm not a fan of Shadow Sneak on ground outside of just doing it (since the forced walk is really obvious) but I found it REALLY solid in the air. Can trick your way back to the stage, and even counterattack while doing so. The angles on Hydro Aqua Jet Pump is really good. I got back quite a few times using some of his angles to good effect.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Does his counter change at all depending on direction? For what it's worth, both times I used it I just teleported behind them and shot straight horizontally hitting them. I wanna say I've seen him attack from above using Sub too.

I'm not a fan of Shadow Sneak on ground outside of just doing it (since the forced walk is really obvious) but I found it REALLY solid in the air. Can trick your way back to the stage, and even counterattack while doing so. The angles on Hydro Aqua Jet Pump is really good. I got back quite a few times using some of his angles to good effect.
"Hydro Aqua Jet Pump" gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.
Two questions I still have:
1a. Does Up+B have any hitboxes or at least windboxes on the water, or is it purely for recovery like Vanilla Brawl Lucario's?
1b. Is it two-part like Pikachu's or does it allow for curving like Lucario's?
2. Has the Substitute attack ever whiffed for you?

Neo Zero

"Hydro Aqua Jet Pump" gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.
Two questions I still have:
1a. Does Up+B have any hitboxes or at least windboxes on the water, or is it purely for recovery like Vanilla Brawl Lucario's?
1b. Is it two-part like Pikachu's or does it allow for curving like Lucario's?
2. Has the Substitute attack ever whiffed for you?
1a) I'm not sure if his body has a hitbox, but his water does. However the damage is like 2%, not sure of it's knockback but probably not much
1b) It can, what it seems like to me though is it goes the same distance regardless, but you can angle it. Basically, you go, lets say 90 M, you go 90 M total straight or curving it.
2) Not that I saw, but it looks like they can air dodge/shield it easy enough.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
The fact that I sucked with him sorta showed me how to not play him, you shouldn't rely on aerials (besides maybe BAir) to kill but rather using UpSmash, DownB, and Side B to kill. Greninja appears to be a good damage racker but a hard to master killer. Can somebody enlighten me on any more kill moves? I placed 4th thinking his other smashes could do more knockback and didn't get many kills

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I got his Uair to kill WFT at around 110% when we were a little higher than the middle of the screen on the Fire Emblem Stage.

Also, only real use I can see for Nair from what I could see is akin to a bomb in the Touhou fighting games where it can push a pressure character like Little Mac away. As others have said, it may be useful to interrupt combos with, but I found that you can jump out of knockback much faster than attack, and given Greninja's double jump...

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
The fact that I sucked with him sorta showed me how to not play him, you shouldn't rely on aerials (besides maybe BAir) to kill but rather using UpSmash, DownB, and Side B to kill. Greninja appears to be a good damage racker but a hard to master killer. Can somebody enlighten me on any more kill moves? I placed 4th thinking his other smashes could do more knockback and didn't get many kills
A lot of people seem to hate on Greninja's down-smash, but it looks like it knocks foes away at a low angle (like Melee Fox or Falco's DSmash), and a lot of fighters still seem to have a tough time recovering from that.
My two cents.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
A lot of people seem to hate on Greninja's down-smash, but it looks like it knocks foes away at a low angle (like Melee Fox or Falco's DSmash), and a lot of fighters still seem to have a tough time recovering from that.
My two cents.
Ah that makes sense, never did use his DSmash much cause I was on Boxing Ring (very awkward stage that feels epic but plays bad as the ring requires Vertical Kills while the outside is a walkoff -_- got screwed over there as Greninja and the bouncey ropes screwed over a lot of combos so I call an INSTABAN :D) Greninja's Smash attacks in general requires a high % to actually deal knockback, so he feels like a combo/damage rack first, kill later character that's better in 1v1s (then again I might just suck as him for now xD)

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Ah that makes sense, never did use his DSmash much cause I was on Boxing Ring (very awkward stage that feels epic but plays bad as the ring requires Vertical Kills while the outside is a walkoff -_- got screwed over there as Greninja and the bouncey ropes screwed over a lot of combos so I call an INSTABAN :D) Greninja's Smash attacks in general requires a high % to actually deal knockback, so he feels like a combo/damage rack first, kill later character that's better in 1v1s (then again I might just suck as him for now xD)
That, and he strikes me as a character who will be better when the terrain isn't limiting his options to control his opponent's options. Like some bizarre Sheik/Falco hybrid.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I'd liken it more to a slightly slower Yoshi Dsmash that hits on both sides at the same time. I'd say it has more knockback, though.

Btw, Dthrow is one of the better throws in the demo. Looks like it could actually set-up some combos since I always saw it keep opponents relatively close to Greninja regardless of percent (fixed knockback?).

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
That, and he strikes me as a character who will be better when the terrain isn't limiting his options to control his opponent's options. Like some bizarre Sheik/Falco hybrid.
Yeah that's exactly how he felt for me which is probably why he felt foreign as I don't play too much Sheik and Falco. I also feel his Water Shuriken might just be his best move as they are good keepaway when not charged and a potential killing move if fully charged as the last hit in it's multihitbox has high knockback. I also managed to pull of a combo of DashAttack, Uptilt, and NAir. Actually, the more I think it, he has a lot of PM Mewtwo-esque moves and feel to him.

I'd liken it more to a slightly slower Yoshi Dsmash that hits on both sides at the same time. I'd say it has more knockback, though.

Btw, Dthrow is one of the better throws in the demo. Looks like it could actually set-up some combos since I always saw it keep opponents relatively close to Greninja regardless of percent (fixed knockback?).
I actually never used DThrow, what is it and where does it shoot the opponent? I'd also say his DSmash is more akin to a closer range Olimar DSmash or Kirby DSmash

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Yellow Oli Dsmash. I could see that. I don't remember what Greninja does during the throw, but it puts the opponent in a very similar position to Oli's Dthrow with less horizontal knockback, but a slight bit higher up.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Maybe Yellow Oli Dsmash. I could see that. I don't remember what Greninja does during the throw, but it puts the opponent in a very similar position to Oli's Dthrow with less horizontal knockback, but a slight bit higher up.
Ah ok thanks! Sucks that the demo is over and no more Smash for 5 months :/ I want my Tongue Strider

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Tongue Strider, I like that.
Just be glad you got to try it. There wasn't a single Best Buy in Montana that got a demo.
Damn that sucks, I tried it at Nintendo World since I live in Queens, NY and it was very organized with 3 kiosks unlike Best Buys. Spent most of my time learning the new characters rather than winning (although I did wreck as Bowser) but I did the worst as Greninja. But tbh, it makes me want to master Greninja more xD that's what I did with Brawl Olimar and he became my main! I also call him Strogger (Strider and Frogger) after my Greninja in Y to give me more motivation :) might as well give more info

he isn't as easy to pick up as he looks. But I get the feeling his DAir will be very good as it goes quick and pogos off of guys which pops them into the air or spikes them. His Side B looks to be hard to master as there's a shadow that indicates where you teleport but it was hard to spot on darker stages like the outsides of Boxing Ring so learning the timing, rather than the indicator, will be key. Also Substitute is very hard to land as the frame where it actually works goes by very fast and leaves a LOT of lag afterwards. FSmash also has less range than it looked like in the trailer and less knock back than his USmash. Ok...I'll go to sleep now xD

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I still think it's crazy that he can sideB multiple times without special fall, and even upB or jump after.

By the way, upB only has water hitboxes, like Squirtle's neutralB.

Also, I posted a vid of Greninja canceling his dair's landing lag with a sideB in the general smash thread.

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that his Side-B seemed to have a huge amount of lag in the air. That combined with fall speed makes me think it won't be really all that viable of a recovery option compared to Up-B.

Edit: Damn, looking at the video, that's actually really nice. His side-B uncharged doesn't have much end lag iIrc, and being able to potentially punish an attempted punish sounds insane.

The video for those curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mnXJVz9FnI&t=0m56s

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Is shadow sneak hard to control?Also how do you charge and walk at the same time?

KERO

Smash Journeyman
After inputting Side-B, you can just hold B to keep charging and move the control stick left or fight to slowly move around.

From what I could tell, Greninja's shadow always moves in the direction you were initially facing. I don't think you can change its initial direction.

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Didn't even think to test that. I'm dumb lol. Can't really give you an answer for that one.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Imagine doing your jab combo to send them right to the shadow then BAM kicked in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom