• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ground Movement

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i can't stress enough how much better sonic's movement is with DDP. in all honesty the only sonics that use this effectively are Espy, and probably myself. when I DDP, here are my usual options from what I recall:

DDP into:

DDP...DDP (back and forth DDP is melee basically. at least it should look like it because sonic is so fast. think about the fact that you are shaving frames of your usual turnaround, and you give you opponent even less time to react at medium range, where DDP shines.

IDA: this out of DDP, especially off of a retreating Foxtrot, is impossible to see coming. they have to assume you will do something and defend before hand.

running grab: this option seems most appropriate when you use the foxtrot to evade an attack, then DDP back to them to punish.

DDP during tech chases gives you more capability to punish too, but that take practice, which im sure most of you don't have on DDP.

What Im working on now:

DDP> Hyphen smash: a retreating foxtrot is what usually sets up openings for IDA, and i want to add this too. the dacus version is too annoying because its a fricking dacus, and i dont think i need to learn that yet while learning this.

DDP> Pivot grab. the intention was to use the foxtrot to evade a rush, then use the pivot grabs range to catch them as they come forward. I've seen GIMR do this with Peach and Ice Climbers so the evidence is clear that this can work, but im unsure right now how good sonic's picot grab is, so that will take some time.

i wanted to reopen the lab with this, but this thead is here, so there. I paln to make a sonic vid dealing with this in real matches, be on the lookout for that.

once again. this is too good. its a pain to learn and try to abuse, but i'm seeing results early. if you through trial and error can see when you can use it safely/right situations then you'll see it makes this guy look even faster at times.

DDP for President. of steak.

steak.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I occasionlly use it, and i have been incorporating it into my game, but i have a BAD habit of accidentally foxtrotting, and get punished due to the fact that my options for say... even shielding are gone. I've played my crowd so much now, they know when to punish it.

However, it REALLY helps spacies, and done randomly, not every time, its insta bait. As in.. mix it in, and ur gaurenteed a spot dodge or shield reaction, just cause the don't know what else to do at medium range. I find at least

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
What do you usually find yourself doing when you DDP?
I usually DDP to retreat and attack back with either DA or a grab.

Sometimes I'll DDP into them and shield, and if they sidestep I punish.

Then there's times were I'll just DDP back and forth while they spawn in after a KO. Keeps them guessing where I'll be next.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I occasionlly use it, and i have been incorporating it into my game, but i have a BAD habit of accidentally foxtrotting, and get punished due to the fact that my options for say... even shielding are gone. I've played my crowd so much now, they know when to punish it.

However, it REALLY helps spacies, and done randomly, not every time, its insta bait. As in.. mix it in, and ur gaurenteed a spot dodge or shield reaction, just cause the don't know what else to do at medium range. I find at least
Don't forget that you don't have to finish with a foxtrot. If you hold forward for just an extra bit of time Sonic will start a run instead of foxtrot and you can shield. Plus... even if you foxtrot, you can always roll forward if you mess up.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
There is that split second where ur pretty much stuck, if memory serves.

And thats what i meants by ACCIDENT, lol. Completly unintentionally. But, i've minimized it and its far better

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
you have to be really good at spacing and mixups to make DDP work, or you ll let opponents catch on and punish you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I have yet to practice the true pivot, but I now firmly believe that every Sonic must incorporate DDPs into their game. I can't believe I never practiced it before, so thanks for making this thread and making the idea fresh.

It's just one more thing a player can add to having control over Sonic's speed and manueverability, which is what really seperates him from the rest of the cast.

:093:

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Yeah, here's the deal:

basically, I've realized I need to be more open to all characters when discussing this.

The various factors to take into account for your specific character.

I) Friction
-Foxtrot Friction
a) if your character slides a lot on the foxtrot these techniques help you control these small adjustments (Sonic)
b) if your character stops instantly then you really can just do regular pivots (Captain Falcon)

-Run Friction
a) if your character slides really far then foxtrots/pivots over greater distances may sometimes be useful (Captain Falcon)
b) if your character stops right away then you're probably better off running and just using the IASA frames of your stop (Sonic)

II)Foxtrot Length
-If your character can't travel very far with foxtrot the DDP may not be very useful

III)Foxtrot Speed
-Isn't link like slower when running?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
I have yet to practice the true pivot, but I now firmly believe that every Sonic must incorporate DDPs into their game. I can't believe I never practiced it before, so thanks for making this thread and making the idea fresh.

It's just one more thing a player can add to having control over Sonic's speed and manueverability, which is what really seperates him from the rest of the cast.

:093:
dude, if you arent doing this already, ur too slow. jk <3 Camalange
Yeah, I first saw the steak in Espy's matches. I wondered how he did it, then a few hours later i facepalmed. DDP is legit stuff, man. The true Pivot is kinda hard to pull off...I can do it running regularly, but i cant do it while DDP'ing. :dizzy:

Its hard on the fingers...So, what about SH aerials out of DDP? Is it even worth doing?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I've been meaning to put up some other random clips of me goofing off with this stuff.

1) Learn Sonic's DashAttackCancel so you can:
-execute it from a stand still
-end of a foxtrot
-end of a DDP

2)Forget Sonic's DAC (^)
-If you want you can just execute his regular one too which adds more variety

3)You probably know how to pivot a bair when running forward... (I forget what this is called)
How many people pivot>short hop spin charges?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
has anyone perfected true pivot yet? i can do it from time but i would love some advice on getting it consistently it just seems to setup for so much whenever i can get it 2 work.

Top Bottom