• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Growing Up as a Girl and What it Means to be a Man in America: Part One

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Link to original post: [drupal=4071]Growing Up as a Girl and What it Means to be a Man in America: Part One[/drupal]

What does it mean to be a man? This is a question that I have been wondering for years if only because so many different experiences in my life have forced me to ask it. I’ve also began to ask myself this question again because of what all I’ve been learning about childhood and adolescent development this semester. In concerns to my own childhood and adolescence, a decent percent of the stress that I experienced during those years were struggles that I had defining not only my gender but also my sexual orientation. What’s strange about this is that I’m male and straight but the culture I grew up in along with various people I’ve encountered in my life tried to tell me otherwise. The following essay is basically a look into a part of my life that I have never openly talked about in person. This is a look into how I grew up as a girl and am still one according to American standards.

As it should be abundantly apparent, I’m not the manliest man in the world. If it weren’t for my soul patch (that takes over a month to grow), my Groucho Marx eyebrows (that grow back almost instantaneously when I try to trim or pluck them), and my “I’m shy but Mother Nature is unreasonably sadistic and decided to make me immediately apparent when I walk into a room” height, I could probably pass as androgynous. Personally, I would be okay with this but by American standards the very idea should be devastating to my male ego to the point that repairing it requires me to eat a pound of raw beef, punch a hole in a brick wall the size of a watermelon, and rip off the antlers of a charging moose. It’s funny but I had to deal with this mentality a lot while growing up.

It’s hard to say when I started being a girl. Developmentally speaking, it could be argued that part of my personality was shaped by being so close to my mother or having an older sister that lovingly tried to kill me on numerous occasions during my toddler years (I’m afraid of raisins because of her) but I genuinely don’t know. One of my first best friends was a girl in preschool and that might have played a role. Maybe it had to do with the interests that began at a young age. Instead of cars, action figures, and stuff that would have reasonable potential to cause violent explosions if they were real like most “normal” little boys play with, I played with stuffed animals and other similarly snuggly things. Not only did I play with them, I also collected them until middle school and I had so many that I could completely bury myself under them (which I found to be loads of fun because nothing’s more fun than potentially smothering yourself and having your parents find you dead several days later when the ceiling to the living room starts to leak). Again, what made me into a girl is unclear but I became one regardless.

There really weren’t too many problems in elementary school. The only things that really set me apart from other kids were the quirks of my ADHD fueled behavior (pretending to be certain video game characters at inappropriate times, using wild hand gestures to express simple messages, talking to myself in public, etc.) and the fact that, after kindergarten, I was one of the few kids who frequently crossed the “gender barriers” established to prevent the spread of cooties/AIDS. I had many “girlfriends” at school and I didn’t believe that girls were acidic to the touch. At church, the only friends I had were girls and this didn’t change until I was almost in middle school. It could even be said that I was practically raised by girls. The only time when I tried to give being a “tough-guy” a spin was when I was in the fifth grade by being a bully and it backfired spectacularly. I didn’t become overly conscious of how I was a girl until middle school.

Middle school sucked in an incalculable way. In elementary school, most of my problems came from events that happened at my church while in middle school it shifted to school itself. I was made aware that I wasn’t the manliest of men very quickly in what was probably one of the more difficult times of my life. It started simply enough. Within the first couple of days of school, I made it clear that I didn’t want to change in front of the other guys in the locker room after gym. I was accused of being gay for the first time. “What’s that?” “It means you like boys.” “But… I don’t.” “But you go in the stalls to change so you’re gay.” Crumbling under the flawless logic of my peers, I started to question my gender and sexual orientation.

I didn’t fit the standards of masculinity very well. Aside from very brief times in my senior year of high school and my junior year of college, I’ve never had a lot of muscles. I still had a cringe worthy huge collection of Beanie Babies. To help me fall asleep at night, I whispered myself stories that usually had a romantic nature to them until probably the eighth grade. I really wasn’t a fan of any sports like my friends were. I cried when I was sad. I was afraid of a lot of things. I blushed when I was embarrassed and was generally shy. It seemed I betrayed too many common ideals of masculinity to be straight, let alone a boy. I was a “nice guy” and in, middle school terms, that basically means “latent homosexual” so I felt continuously betrayed by my own girly personality. Various events that had happened in the past and at that time as well as being completely ignorant to how homosexuality “works”, I was pushed into feeling a lot of self-doubt and insecurity. The end result of nearly two years of teasing, harassment, and being put on the spot erupted into me bawling my eyes out in the principles’ office and losing the last best friend I would have until my senior year of college. To this day, I still feel a hint of mistrust towards most men because of what all happened.

High school started off well enough. I had a girlfriend and the seemingly unending jeers of middle school ended. I felt like James Bond with 24 pack abs who could make tanks explode by clenching his butt cheeks. “I’m a *cough* little effeminate but I have a girlfriend; up yours world,” I thought. Things went swimmingly until we broke up and then I literally went nuts for about a month. It seemed that within weeks of breaking up all the latent fears and insecurities I had in middle school came racing back and the feelings were much more intense this time around. These feelings were once again fueled by what American culture defines as masculine as well as ongoing paranoia that I was going to wake up one morning and suddenly be gay. Yep, I was one of those poor uneducated people that believed in the “vampire/zombie effect.” If you’ve never heard of this, it’s the idea that being in contact with a gay person or simply thinking of the possibility that you could be gay could turn you gay. Go to bed straight, wake up and suddenly love Bravo. Shake a gay man’s hand, have it down your flannel pajama pants when you wake up next to him spooning you the next morning. Nauseatingly irrational but growing up in a Christian conservative home and the unfortunate events that followed my cousin coming out of the closet helped further cement this mentality into my mind until early 2009.

The feelings I had in my early college years were so intense that I felt perpetual shame and self- consciousness in public. I didn’t make new friends and the only people I really tried to connect with were women that I was interested in dating (see my last essay for all the fun roadblocks I ran into there). Things hit a critical point when I went to England the first time and had a gay roommate for the course of the trip. I was uncomfortable enough with sharing a hotel room with a gay guy but he was stereotypically gay in just about every sense. He wore women’s shoes, he had a lisp, he had a perm, he sang show tunes to himself, he ran up to random women and gushed about their fashion sense, he wore that one Britney Spears perfume, and one of the things he talked about the most was, you guessed it, all the guys he had slept with in graphic detail and how one of his favorite things to do was “covert” drunk straight guys. Needless to say, we hated each other immediately. Despite this he ended up trying to solicit me for sex one night which resulted in me locking myself in the bathroom and scribbling in the travel journal I was keeping about revenge, how I could have died of shame and embarrassment and how I was scared to death of going from slightly effeminate to full blown “that.” These events made me draw even more into myself when I got back home.

How did I get to where I am today then? It was a mixture of things. One of the more significant was a seemingly random encounter with an older French woman in Paris who explained to me that “American men don’t know how to dress and are terrible lovers.” It was a short conversation but for the first time I actually heard criticism about American masculine ideals from someone aside from my mother. About a year later, this inspired me to start dressing nicer even if it risked me being accused of being effeminate. The second was actually making gay friends at SEMO and learning that, in contradiction to popular belief, gay people aren’t mindless sex hounds that want to hump you ravenously until you/they are close to dying of dehydration. The third was the most important and that was, bluntly put, the long and arduous process of pulling my head out of my own *** and finally hearing more than just the echoes of my self-doubts bouncing off the walls of my rectum.

There are still a lot of things about me that would classically define me as a “girl.” I would rather drink a glass of wine then a pint of beer. I would rather go to an art museum than a football game. I would rather be in a room with women gossiping for an hour than five minutes in a room with guys talking about sports statistics or who/what farm animal they plowed last night. When I’m genuinely upset, I will cry and I don’t have any issues with talking about my emotions. I use both perfume and body spray. I enjoy romantic comedies. I look amazing in a dress. (Who am I kidding? The amount of hair on my calves could pass as leg warmers.) Most of my closest friends are still women including my best friend. Yes Burger King, I like quiche and tofu. Yes Hardees, I bake and cook. I like musicals and operas. I can wear a scarf in the spring or fall and not feel like my balls will fall off at any given moment. Sometimes chocolate IS the only right solution to problems in life. I could go on and on until you were convinced that Betty White was writing this instead of me. It’s been a long road but I’m finally comfortable enough with myself to actually talk about these things openly. In a long-winded way, I’ve formed the foundation for what I want to talk about in the second part of my first multi-part essay: what makes a man a man in America and, being the girly man that I am, what my thoughts are on it. Stay tuned.

Fatmanonice, March 6th 2011

“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.” – George Eliot

“Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.” – Benjamin Disraeli

“Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.” –Voltaire

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I've never been one for setting gender roles or even identifying sexual orientation... However, despite being a big queer I'm quite the opposite; I'd rather talk about sports statistics than sit in a room full of gossiping women... but that's just me.

Good read sir.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I've never been one for setting gender roles or even identifying sexual orientation... However, despite being a big queer I'm quite the opposite; I'd rather talk about sports statistics than sit in a room full of gossiping women... but that's just me.

Good read sir.
Actually, gender identity has absolutely nothing to do with your sexual orientation. I know plenty of people with GID (male-to-female) who have girlfriends, and for an example of manly gay guys, just look at Teran, haha.

Good read, Fatamonice! You've just gotta love that middle school "you're gay for doing ____" logic. I still can't look at all at most people when I talk out of the sheer habit of trying not to be seen looking at a dude in any way. I quite literally can't do it, and I always catch myself trying to control where I look while in crowds, etc.

Yay for anxiety issues and terrible, nearly abusive middle school years!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
tl;dr

is this about you getting a sex change?
He didn't write an entire essay so you could get one sentence out of it. If you want to know what it's about, read it. If you're too lazy to read it, then I guess you'll never know what it's about.

---

As for the actual essay, I can really relate. I've had a similar experience in life, having qualities that aren't deemed "masculine" enough and being pretty ashamed of that -- only over the past year or so have I truly addressed and confronted it, to the extent that finally stopped feeling that way.

I hope a lot of people read this essay, because it really has a good, important message. People stick so closely to the guidelines of masculinity and whatnot that they rarely ever question those guidelines, much less see it appropriate to go outside of them at all. I wish more people would at least think about these things somewhat and question them to some extent -- I think it make things a lot better for everyone.

Wonderful read, Fatmanonice.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Indeed it was an awesome read. I can relate to this somewhat because through out my own elementary and high school days, I've been picked on non-stop just being who I am. Somehow I endured it.. =P And right now, I feel great and eventually you will simply accept it I think. It's always scary to meet new people because you don't really know what they are thinking or how they will judge you but you know what? These people don't really matter since you will probably not see them again.. I don't know if you have friends where you can be totally open minded but I think it's important to have some. Since what's the point of having a secret if you can't share it with anyone.

I actually was also recently trying to understand what the male/female side of me can bring. I don't have many answers yet since I've just started thinking about it but, so far.. I've learned that my male side is a lot more about power and my female side is more about caring for others. There's just something that is so heart warming.. idk.. lol.

Anyways, you are a wonderful person and if you love what you do then by all means I encourage you to continue.. all these laws and BS doesn't mean anything... I mean does it fulfill you in anyway? I don't think it will honestly. =)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Excellent read, Fatman. I feel like I can relate quite a bit to this. I've never been the real masculine type. The closest I'm ever been to it and that's right now, is working out more and finding some girls strangely more attractive (and I'm 20 years old) than usual. Growing up, I was a bit like you. I loved stuff animals, girls made up most of my friends at one point, and I dealt with the issue of masculinity. I had to deal with being overweight after the second grade though and that was a lot of fun.

In elementary school, I hugged a guy who I thought was saying he wanted a hug and I was thought to be gay for years, and the worst thing is that I didn't know that was the reason I was ostracized for that time. I still have pain from those days. Anyone tries to make fun of me will cause me to get angry and can cause me to nearly break down.

I guess I'm thankful that I didn't have it nearly as bad as you did though. I was fortunate in high school to be immediately recognized as the eccentric type (at least compared to them) and to be accepted.

But enough about me. The issue here involves gender roles.

I for one am not that fond of the gender roles set in American culture (at least). Everyone should do and be how they feel comfortable. If you feel comfortable "acting like a girl" than by all means do it. Society emphasizes that people act a certain way based on their background (i.e. stereotypes), but we should be more concerned about acting like ourselves, not like how we're expected.

Smoom77

Smash Master
This is a look into how I grew up as a girl and am still one according to American standards.
I really appreciate this sentence. It has so much truth to it.

Personally, I would be okay with this but by American standards the very idea should be devastating to my male ego to the point that repairing it requires me to eat a pound of raw beef, punch a hole in a brick wall the size of a watermelon, and rip off the antlers of a charging moose.
I was a “nice guy” and in, middle school terms, that basically means “latent homosexual” so I felt continuously betrayed by my own girly personality.
“American men don’t know how to dress and are terrible lovers.” It was a short conversation but for the first time I actually heard criticism about American masculine ideals from someone aside from my mother.
These were my favorite parts of the essay because i can really relate. I can relate to all of it, but these quotes specifically.

Please let me know if you post any more, I really enjoyed reading it!

Technodeath

Smash Champion
Indeed it was an awesome read. I can relate to this somewhat because through out my own elementary and high school days, I've been picked on non-stop just being who I am. Somehow I endured it.. =P And right now, I feel great and eventually you will simply accept it I think. It's always scary to meet new people because you don't really know what they are thinking or how they will judge you but you know what? These people don't really matter since you will probably not see them again.. I don't know if you have friends where you can be totally open minded but I think it's important to have some. Since what's the point of having a secret if you can't share it with anyone.
I agree with this on most levels.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

Fictional I know but I always looked up to this character growing up. He never sweated the small stuff. He was on the smaller side but made big things happen.

He wasn't the "manliest" looking or acting man, especially if you read it rather than watched it lol getting accused several times even by the author of being girly.

But was considered a man among men. He was respected and ecen feared because of his actions and the things he had done. He knew what he was and didn't let other people's actions or what they said get to him.

The point of this whole story is you know who you are. You're not a homosexual and whatever other people think, they can keep thinking if they want. If that's how they are they're not worth your time. Though reading your story I'm pretty sure you already understand this.

Congrats on learning to accept yourself as who you are and living as you, instead of what others want you to be. ^^

I can relate to alot of your story and have and do feel it in my own life. I was always feminine in appearence or fat lol until these past couple years. And even now I still struggle with some of the things you mentioned in your blog that you went through.

Don't know ya but I wish you the best.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
This essay just proves how messed up society is now. You get harassed for being yourself.

Now? Society has always been like that. It's honestly more lenient now than it ever has been in the past.

Arikags

Smash Cadet
Huh. My life has been strikingly similar... thank you for opening my eyes to the world around me.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I can totally relate, dude. Although I -DO-actually play football, I've never been one of those guys who loves to sit and talk about sports. Most of my friends are girls (never had a gf, though), and I could sit around and gossip and talk and do all the stuff that girls do. In fact, I like it more that way. I'm straight, but enjoy things most of the population would deem gay. It's. cool to be in touch with yourself, and get that ***** at the same time :)

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Very good read. There are a lot of good points in this piece that although I can't physically relate to, I can totally agree with.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I understand the point you're making, FMOI. But your title is misleading. I don't think growing up as a "sissy" boy is the same as growing up as an actual girl, or someone with GID who identifies as female.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Subscribed. Will post thoughts when I don't have mid-terms in a few hours.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The strange thing is reading this blog makes me think about the stereotypes you have for women just as much as what you think it means to be a man. Like, you state everything that america insists it means to be a man but you also seem to have some REALLY narrow ideas about what it means to be a woman. Just saying.

Reizilla

You say you grew up like a girl, but you didn't even mention anything about cooking and cleaning -____-

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You say you grew up like a girl, but you didn't even mention anything about cooking and cleaning -____-
Well.. Everyone can cook or clean, I don't think it has anything to do being a girl or a man. lol. I don't think it's really considered girly or manly to do these things, it kinda has to be done sooner or later. =P

Reizilla

True, anyone can and often everybody does, but that is truly what makes a good woman. So I don't see why he even thought about being "considered a girl."

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
You are getting a few things mixed up. Punching walls and liking sports do not make you a man. Preferring wine over beer does not make you a woman.

I live in the back hills of Ohio. Around here people start smoking in grade school and having your shotgun in your car at school isn't unheard of. Everyone has guns, I own 4 myself.
Around here queers are not liked, but imo they are more or less misunderstood, but that is another topic.
All my life I have been exposed to two extreme opposites. You are either female or you are male, there is no middle ground.
The requirements to be a man around here seem to be along the lines of.....
deer hunting
trucks
beer
tobacco
grit/endurance
sovereign love for your country
guns
high tolerance of pain
muscles
****s often

Me being me, I have always challenged things, especially norms.
In what ways you might ask? I just do something that is considered weird or different.
For example, everyone smokes cigs and chews. I smoke a pipe and chew gum. I even make pipes for people now. lol
I go deer hunting, but let the deer live. I only observe the animal and line up the shot. I do not take what I do not need.
I choose to remain a virgin.
I dislike sports (or at least football).
I prefer champagne or wine over beer. I even make my own wine.
It also has to deal with my behavior and my dress. I try and act as a gentleman in public and half the time in private (while most males seem to be rowdy and loud). I dress differently than everyone else (leather shoes, ironed shirt, nice jeans, leather jacket and sometimes half of a pompadour).
Even my weapon of choice is odd to everyone. I prefer a black powder revolver. Everyone else likes a shotgun or bolt gun.
I also rarely curse. Kinda funny when people find it amusing when I say "****".

When I was younger people made fun of me for being different, but I tried to be a nice guy. After people got to know me the things that I done to be different just became accepted as part of me (which is funny because now pipe smoking is becoming a slight fad around here). Now some of these things may not exactly make me feminine, but what my point is, is that morals and actions are what make you a man.
What I consider manly traits are:
no lying
no cheating
no fighting unless done so to protect another (including loved ones and family)
no complaining
stubbornness for your beliefs and morals
a loving spirit
a caring spirit for the weak
the ability to work, and work hard
toughness
the ability to be a role model to the young
patriotism

These traits and morals are what make you a man. Everything else is life style.
Masculinity is a guideline for your life style.

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
The strange thing is reading this blog makes me think about the stereotypes you have for women just as much as what you think it means to be a man. Like, you state everything that america insists it means to be a man but you also seem to have some REALLY narrow ideas about what it means to be a woman. Just saying.
This. I don't know where most of you live, but I feel sorry for you, because where I'm from, I got to grow up liking musicals, sports, gossiping, and dressing nice without being harassed by others, and in fact doing all of these things along with other men.

I feel like a lot of you have a very limited view of gender roles and a lot of the lines that you think are there, are all in your head.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I loved this blog. Unfortunately, I can't relate too much. People have asked if I'm gay, but all I have to say is that I'm in the music department at school and they understand inmediately.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The interesting thing is that what it means to be a woman in America has greatly changed in America in the past 50 years. What women can do and be and still be socially accepted has exponentially increased while men have essentially been in the same box for centuries. There are still traditionally "feminine" characteristics according to sociological and psychological studies though. For example, women are "traditionally" shy while men are "traditionally" outgoing. Now, we both definitely know exceptions to this and I would say that I know more guys who are shy than girls. Despite this, American culture still predominately sees shyness as "feminine."

This is going to be a two part essay and the truth is that I am going to address gender stereotypes in further detail in the second half. I even managed to track down a table that lists traditional "gender characteristics" that I wanted to go indepth with because some of the items are so unrealistic that it's a surprise that they are held as ideals. I also wanted to talk about the huge cultural shift that's going on in America where more women are earning college degrees than men and outearning their boyfriends/husbands and how masculine ideals have heavily contributed to the steady increase of the "man-child" demographic.

@ El Nino:

The title is meant to be ironic. No, I wouldn't argue that I'm a girl trapped in a girl's body and the purpose of the title was more to take a jab at American standards. For example, like I talk about a little bit in the essay, somehow being able to cook/bake either means you're gay or a girl to a lot of American men.

Reizilla

Way I see it, if you can cook/bake/clean as a man, it doesn't mean you're gay, it just means you're a man, good at everything. Those are just the only things women can do competently, so we let 'em. Men da bess :cool:

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Um guy, not to be rude, but there are people on this site who watch mlp.

Reizilla

Legit show. Probably best cartoon on air right now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Way I see it, if you can cook/bake/clean as a man, it doesn't mean you're gay, it just means you're a man, good at everything. Those are just the only things women can do competently, so we let 'em. Men da bess :cool:
Back then, those were called Renaissance Men.

And about guys being outgoing and girls being shy, that reminds me how I can be both overly outgoing (my parents don't seem to know this) or overly shy. Funny how that works.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Even if you were right, which is an opinion, in terms of appearances, you can't do worse. Im saying dont get too knotted up about masculinity with the consideration of what other males do

I love pokemon. Thats not very masculine. But then again so few things are

Top Bottom