• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide for an ADVANCED Pit

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot XD And thank you everyone once again for contributing to make this a success.

Fugiwara: I am having trouble reading your post on the AR vs Mirror. Can you re word it to be more clear? Be more specific with who is getting turned around. I am also having trouble with the ledge advice. What kind of attack is he doing? Where is he when you attempt a Bair? Stage spike? We also don't want to have "luck" involved lol just pure control to eliminate luck.

In the middle where? Does this pertain to the ledge scenario? Same question for "he is far" although I think that is more common sense to use arrows from a distance.

Clear and direct so I can just copy paste. Thanks ^_^
Oh well, I'll try my best. :)

First of all, you explained it already with the Mirror. You can switch your position before you're using it. I'll let this left now.

About the ledge: Pic 1
FIRST OF ALL: The picture doesn't mean you can't use it when someone is coming from the upper-screen, it's something like an overall-info about Pits abilities. On the other hand, it's my personal tech for defeating people and I still have to improve it.

Imo, there are three distances for guarding the edge with Pit. The red line explains itself: It is hard to mirror or block an recovery-move and depends on the angle of your Pit and the other player. I can't explain it well. For example, you can mirror Marths rec-mov just when you're jut standing on the edge and activating the shield in the right moment. Some other rec-moves can't be mirrored until you're under the plattform which could be dangerous too. It really depends on the character you're playing against (so it could be really useful against an Donkey Kong or Koopa-Player as example). I don't think that you're have to time to go down either..

In the yellow line you can for sure go down and try to mirror his recovery-move. According my expierence people tent to see my attack from above with an Down A move. Try always to attack from the same high and not above or under the opponent. An mirrored attack grants most of the time a lose to the other player because most people don't think that you will do something similar to Marths Counterattack. Don't try to use it every time... change between attacking, mirroring or do nothing (yes, it really works and the people even try to save theirself even when it's to late then).

The green line (outside of the screen) is fairy nice for spamming your arrows. If you don't hit the player within the first two arrows, consider to take the first step and going in his direction.

bAir or f-Air against the ledge?
Someone recovered and you want to feel them a bit pressure? Try to aim for the end of their invincible-frame while there're still hanging on the ledge. Most people will for sure recovery them to the stage... but what's about the players who tend to hang around?

Pic 1

Best way to attack them is on the same high. Above or under the player can hurt you and smash you out with an meteor. At this high advanced players will try to attack you too so it's a bit risky after all. In my expierence people under pressure will make more mistakes. Paired with mindgames and close combat I've often seen people hanging on ledges for a just bit more than usuall. That's the perfect time to do that. bAir them when you can do it. But why bAir? Because of the knockback even on low percentes. If he/she forgets to jump and just recovers, there's a high chance of failing to get the edge. Works for example well against Link-Players.

And here's the reason, why you should not use fAir: Pic 1, Pic 2
First, the knockback works different
Second, a bad timed attack will lead you to be under the player. If he can use an Meteor against you... well, it was a nice try :)

Being grabed out of AR (proof)
Yes, it works. At least with Link- and Samus-types.

Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

And a new mindgame-tech...
Here's something which I train at while. I got the idea in friendly ffa-matches after three people was left, two of them in one corner and me on the other side. One of the both went off the screen and the other player tries to run to me. I recovered, shot an fake-arrow , moved Pit a bit back so I will fall from the plattform and recovered just in time and moved the arrow. If you're good, you can aim for the coming player or for someone who wants to recover (like the last picture).

Hope it help you guys a bit. :) And sorry about my english, I rather read more than write. X_x

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I think somthing else you might want up there is when to edge guard with arrows or wing renewal.

I think arrows are nice to start with if they are lower then level with the stage as it can eat there jumps and doesn't put you in any unneeded risks. as the odds are they will die from the arrows and they aren't level with the stage. on the flip side if they are over the stage diing back arrows wont do a thing as they have little knock back, jumping after them with a wingrenewal, wing piviot bair can be the most deadly thing in this situation because you inter sept them slowing there movement even if you they hit you, may cause them to fast fall, and if you do hit them with your bair pinged it will kill them unpinged it should kill them. and with the wingrenewal you can get back or fight them out there if needed. Just my 2 cents.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Has anyone tried this? It's a good way to rack up damage.

I do this alot when I want to punish someone.

I use pit's "Tap A" combo. You know The three slashes of his bow.

Anyways I use his infinite slash for a very short time, like a second maybe, and then I go straight into a F-Smash. If they're not expecting it they won't get away from it easily, and their reaction time will be hindered a little. Meaning they probably won't put up the shield quick enough to advoid it.

This also works well with his D-Smash, I just prefer to use the F-Smash, I think it's faster than the D-Smash.

This method works greatly with Meta Knight. Press A then C-stick Down. Automatically after meta Knight Finishes his Sword Blitz, He'll use his D-smash. It's Amazingly fast and effective.

This is where I found the Method for Pit.

It's like it traps people for the Smashes.

I advise you use this Method. It's great for kills also.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I use the Jab A combo and go straight into the forward B. Why? The reaction of most people is to escape the hits, obviously. First, they try DI out or shield, but that's unimportant. When they do escape, they are left with two options, hit you or grab you from a range or continue to go with evasive actions like shielding, dodging, or jumping. One of the advantages of playing against humans is not knowing exactly when something is going to happen. So, here's the plan. You get them caught in the constant A button jab but instead of waiting for them to break out, you drop it in the middle before they can. Then, while they are still hitting buttons for evasive action, you move in with a forward B.

It's a slim chance that they will have the reaction time to see that you have stopped before you go into the forward B, at least the first time it happens. When it does, you can expect to trap them in that move for a few hits OR until they are force to roll away somehow. In either case, you are the person in control, which is always good.

kown

Smash Lord
I use the Jab A combo and go straight into the forward B. Why? The reaction of most people is to escape the hits, obviously. First, they try DI out or shield, but that's unimportant. When they do escape, they are left with two options, hit you or grab you from a range or continue to go with evasive actions like shielding, dodging, or jumping. One of the advantages of playing against humans is not knowing exactly when something is going to happen. So, here's the plan. You get them caught in the constant A button jab but instead of waiting for them to break out, you drop it in the middle before they can. Then, while they are still hitting buttons for evasive action, you move in with a forward B.

It's a slim chance that they will have the reaction time to see that you have stopped before you go into the forward B, at least the first time it happens. When it does, you can expect to trap them in that move for a few hits OR until they are force to roll away somehow. In either case, you are the person in control, which is always good.
Has anyone tried this? It's a good way to rack up damage.

I do this alot when I want to punish someone.

I use pit's "Tap A" combo. You know The three slashes of his bow.

Anyways I use his infinite slash for a very short time, like a second maybe, and then I go straight into a F-Smash. If they're not expecting it they won't get away from it easily, and their reaction time will be hindered a little. Meaning they probably won't put up the shield quick enough to advoid it.

This also works well with his D-Smash, I just prefer to use the F-Smash, I think it's faster than the D-Smash.

This method works greatly with Meta Knight. Press A then C-stick Down. Automatically after meta Knight Finishes his Sword Blitz, He'll use his D-smash. It's Amazingly fast and effective.

This is where I found the Method for Pit.

It's like it traps people for the Smashes.

I advise you use this Method. It's great for kills also.
these tricks are somewhat good except when facing decent ppl. for example from your descriptions on your "combos", it seems as if your performing moves based on predictability rather than reactionary,
You'll end up using this move and get punished when you miss.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Note that I said:

"It's a slim chance that they will have the reaction time to see that you have stopped before you go into the forward B, at least the first time it happens."

I don't think this is something that should be repeated over and over again. It's something to catch your opponent off-guard with.

And I also never claimed it to be a combo. If they have time to react with a move, then it isn't a combo.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'll try my best to update if crashboards doesn't....well anyway..

I have some questions before decided to add some to the list.

Fujiware: About the Fair vs Bair at ledge thing. Isn't that something anyone would do? Zamus does the same thing with her Bair most of the time among others so this wouldn't be something specific to Pit. I think everyone will find the best stage spike move for their character rather quickly and esp since the Bair is the best move, that will be first on the list. Also, there are times where you can't turn around quickly enough (air battle) where you are going to have to use a Fair. Thoughts?

Also, I didn't mean to post something you were going to...sorry >_< I have your post about that noted and will get back to it once I get the time to reread your post and fully understand what you are saying.

Corrupt fate: Yes. I think that is a good topic. And it is one of areas my game needs work with. I act way to much like a whus just staying on the stage shooting arrows for them to do nothing and get on the stage. So if you could write up a mini guide on when to use which and also include any tips you may have as to using the Wing renewal effectively. Make is uber clear and direct. XD I always fail using that method because I can't control it well enough to land a hit. That may be a good training stage..........hmm.

Master Peach and Coreygames: About the infinite A thing. I'm pretty sure it was discussed but I'll respond anyway. I think that is fairly common knowledge: find a multi hit move that makes people draw away then follow up. It works well with MK because he is 10x faster than Pit. Not only is the lag from finishing Pit's Rapid A somewhat big, but neither of his smashes are as fast as MK. Also, MK's Rapid A has less knockback which makes it effective. Opponents tend to DI to much putting them outside the range.

So I think that little Rapid A to AR is more of a Basic Pit tech. Just the fact of using AR at any surprising moment works as well as Rapid A>AR which doesn't make this unique IMO. And about the Jabs. Jabs are important to every character and unless someone can point out what makes his jabs unique and more effect than lets say Ike, then I think it should be on another list. Or if someone can find several great applications, that can go on. For example, I have been able to do A>Dtilt meteor before. I am not sure how reliable this is. If only Pit had the same AA jab lock that Ike had, that would work well for the A>dTilt meteor. If however, someone can figure out how to use the 3rd jab from the AAA as the first jab, that would be amazing and will go on the list. Get a little Marth action going there lol

And I agree with Kown that against a good player, I don't believe it will be as effective.

Thanks for everyones help and remember that this list is about the little things ppl overlook that can be used a lot. Comments on my replies? Keep the ideas rolling! :D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I thought I have said this earlier, but i found out that I didnt since the site crashed and erased my writing.
Here, about the Angel Ring vs Mirror Shield thing... I tested both of them on a Samus Charged Shot.
The Charged shot originally does 25% damage when fully charged.
Angel Ring increases the damage to 37% when reflected.
Mirror Shield increases the damage to 37% and sends it back at a faster speed when reflected.

I'm assuming that Projectiles will be sent back 50% Stronger than it normally was.

Apparently Mirror Shield can send certain projectiles back at a faster speed, which also includes Samus' Super Missile (Not the Homing Missile), and Wolf's Blaster shot, while at the same time, increasing the damage like i said before.
Normally an opponent would shield the projectile coming back at them if it does not hit them, which may even provide the chance to hit them with an arrow. The Mirror Shield, being quicker to put away than the Angel Ring, may be a better choice most times.

Curiosity: 2 Pits reflecting their own arrow back at each other. The arrow gets stronger every time it gets reflected. It may either disappear or "Pierce" through a Mirror Shield and hit Pit directly if the power of the projectile is too strong, estimating about 56% damage. Different outcomes may occur when you charge the arrow or not.
Then replace the Shields with Angel Ring and see what you get.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Aw sorry that your writing got erased because I didn't see it. If you use advanced edit, then you keep your writing when you press Back.

Are you sure that the Mirror shield reflects it faster? If so, how would you test it unless you can tell by sight?

Even though the curiosity won't be put on here, that would be interesting lol. I think the arrow would disappear because I shot an arrow between two Franklin badges and it disappeared.

kown

Smash Lord
Note that I said:

"It's a slim chance that they will have the reaction time to see that you have stopped before you go into the forward B, at least the first time it happens."

I don't think this is something that should be repeated over and over again. It's something to catch your opponent off-guard with.

And I also never claimed it to be a combo. If they have time to react with a move, then it isn't a combo.
yea but my point isnt whether ur opponent can react to it. Its that your doing this move set because you think your opponent wont react to it therefore making it predicting rather than reactionary. Im not saying it should be repeated over and over again either.
it mite catch ur opponent off gaurd but your still performing the moves without reactions.

heh i dont know why im debating over this but heres how you should perform this "combo".
watch how your opponent reacts while inside the AAA jab. than based off of that perform your AR rather than predicting.

I used the word "combo" to mean a chain of moves that connect. I never said it was a combo and thats y i put quotes over it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Aw sorry that your writing got erased because I didn't see it. If you use advanced edit, then you keep your writing when you press Back.

Are you sure that the Mirror shield reflects it faster? If so, how would you test it unless you can tell by sight?

Even though the curiosity won't be put on here, that would be interesting lol. I think the arrow would disappear because I shot an arrow between two Franklin badges and it disappeared.
No, dont use the franklin badges, use the Mirror Shield.
The Mirror Shield can send certain projectiles back at the opponent meaning the projectile will move faster after being reflected by it. The only ones i have seen or tried so far are Samus' Charged Shot, the Green Super Missile, and Wolf's Blaster. Angel ring does not.
Wait! It works on Lucario's Aura Sphere too.
Mirror Shield can increase the speed of projectiles as it reflects them, but it does not work on all projectiles however.
If an opponent does shield the reflected projectile, there is perhaps an opening that allows you to shoot an arrow at them.

To test it, Try a Lucario and his Aura sphere. Look at the difference between reflecting it with Mirror Shield, and reflecting it with Angel ring. You will see the difference right away.

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
Actually, I have actually noticed this to be true with most projectiles (most of the ones worth reflecting, anyway.)

It's easy to tell with the bigger ones, like Aura Sphere and Samus' charged shot. I never tested AR for speed, but I can def. vouch for shield speeding it up.

EDIT because I have to for all my posts to be valid. =D

I haven't checked the time on it, but I don't think that pikachu's goes any faster when reflected.

kupo15

Smash Hero
updated with
Admiral bowser's mirror shield info
Fugiwara's ledge info

Before I decide to add the mindgame arrow thing Fujiwara, are you saying that you just did an arrow loop while jumping from the ledge? Also, I think this is too slow for aggressive fast play.

Corrupt, im getting to you next

Siqmonkey: I guess this is kinda a guide to advanced pit playing. what would i need to change/add to make it one? Include the credits at the end instead of in the middle? Rename it of course

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
i guess. all i know is that you and undrdog should be working together for a guide since you guys are awesome pits.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Before I decide to add the mindgame arrow thing Fujiwara, are you saying that you just did an arrow loop while jumping from the ledge? Also, I think this is too slow for aggressive fast play.
Nah. Hanging on the ledge, jump out of the ledge, shooting arrow and arrow loop, grab on the ledge while falling > arrow's coming. It's not that easy but can be done very quick, just try it. I just wonder how effective it could be anyway. :)

Anyway, forget it. It's to freaky anyway for an mindgame.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ill try it but I mean, if I used that against some of the people I played, look at the wario vids, then I wouldn't be able to release that arrow.

i guess. all i know is that you and undrdog should be working together for a guide since you guys are awesome pits.
Thanks. Undr is very busy and hasn't been on in a while. I should go talk to him to see whats up.

EDIT:: Everything should be updated. let me know if it isn't or if you think there should be some changes. (as always)
kupo

rinoH

Smash Lord
hey Kupo i was fooling around with wingdashing today i i found that you can wingdash with using a nair rather than a dair or has this already been found havent been watching the pit forums for a while

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea it can be performed either way. The dair is prefered because if you cant get close the ground and not lift up at all, then the lag will be bad. But the Dair eliminates the lag even when it is imperfect

kupo15

Smash Hero
I guess but itsn't too bad with the Dair. Its pretty fun and it looses your fingers at the same time lol

microwavedpuppy

Smash Cadet
when hanging on a ledge.. what do you input to jump off the ledge and use pit's forwardB?

also, i can't seem to control the arrows to come back around.. is there a certain way i have to do this?

what so some of the abbreviations mean? like DI

Corigames

Smash Hero
when hanging on a ledge.. what do you input to jump off the ledge and use pit's forwardB?

also, i can't seem to control the arrows to come back around.. is there a certain way i have to do this?
1. To ledgehop, you just hit X or Y when on the edge to jump up and then you will jump up. From there, AR. Or, you could press back or down to drop off the ledge and then immediately hit jump to get up over the edge, then AR.

2. Use the control stick.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol

Actually the answer to

1. Tap down>Jump>AR
2. AR= Angel Ring

You can do number one the way corey games said but I think you ment my way XD

David0175

Smash Rookie
Quebec ! Brawl FC : 1v1, no item, neutral stage
Im also a pit player, new to this forum (and i love it so far)

I use a small move to suprise openent, i dont know how to speel it right (im french meh)
when im far from enemies, i jump 2 times then hold the jump buton to ''fly in the air'' toward my ennemies, so he think i will attacking him with the ''i dont know the name of the attack but you know what i mean'' but instead i tilt down and attack before i reached him, if timed right you will instantly land and be able to do any attack, that i way i Fsmash or Dsmash and it mostly always works (if you dont use it often etc). Your oppenent will try to dodge the evident incoming atack, but wont expect you to miss on purpose to be able to do a fast attack right after before he can do something else.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I hate to welcome you by saying that it is more general knowledge compared to the other topics in the list so Im sorry :( Im glad you decided to post though, thanks!

Welcome to the pit forums though ^_^

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I took a brief look at it. As for countering combos, if they are ground based and send u horizontally. I find a quick arrows will not only help you regain ur footing so u dont stumble, but will also prevent people from using a follow up attack such as dash attack/grabs. Though if they are short u will have to actually aim, and thats always bother some. lol.

Though arrows are great for everything. At mid% arrows are good for aerial combos, since at that point 1 up air will sent them too far for u to continue to combo. But after you up aerials straight into a well aimed arrow, you can then jump and follow up with another aerial. Ive done it with 2 aerials with arrows between each attack, and one at the end. They damage and stun.

kupo15

Smash Hero
while that is true, it shouldn't be a rule because you can just airdodge and shield grab or something which could be better. Thanks though. ^_^

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I didnt say anything about it being a rule? if ur talking too me. lol. Shoot an arrow after they horizontally knock you back. It may not hit them, but it will stop them dead in their tracks, unless they are one of the few people who approach by air alot. Even then if u curve it u will still make them aerial dodge atleast. lol. W/e it works for me. Thats all that really matters.

kupo15

Smash Hero
everything is updated and I added two sections to slot 11 and 12.

The countering combos with the angel ring really helps me out a lot. Thanks for that suggestion.

Deidara~Tail~

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least expect, and don't say &quot;unde
Read the guide. Now I know to use arrows when opponent is recovering from below the stage and use wing renewal when opponent is recovering from above stage.

But I don't think it's a good idea to use wing renewal on a Ganondorf player. I rather shoot arrows from far away than risking being Ganoncide'd (side b).

kupo15

Smash Hero
trust me i no all about it. he is the exception because his recoveries are grabs. I will make the exception thanks

Top Bottom