• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to chain spiking with Marth *upated with video august 17th!*

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
Here is the link to the visual guide. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY1avn1Airc

Hello. I main falco and my secondary is marth. I feel that Marth, along with Falco, can
become better. I was watching some Marth videos to check out the different styles and what not. In the video archives, I came across a technique that most Marth's use to finish off opponent. This is the fthrow chain grab to Dair. Now we are all aware of Falco's dthrow chaingrab, correct? well, when several people tried to recreate this they had trouble with technique and spacing. So I figured i can replicate that by finding a methodical approach and technical approach to Marth's chain spiking (I used the search forum engine and typed in chain grabbing and spiking and I didn't find a guide like this). So, I tested this so far during training on lvl 9 computer falco on final destination. Note because this involves chain throwing it will only work on Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Sheik, Wolf (information from ulevo's marth competitive guide). I have no video or ways of recording so please bear with my descriptions.

Ok. Time for the 1 fthrow to dair. So with marth make sure your back foot (the one not beneath his sword hand) in around the outside tip of the outer most green-blue "triangle" (or arrows) on final destination (you know the pointy arrow things right around the edge of the level). With his back foot around the tip of this green-blue arrow you grab the opponent, fthrow them, buffer the dash and dair. You best method of edgehogging from here is to wait till you are below the platform and use your other jump to get to the ledge (extremely useful against falco).

For the 2 fthrows to dair. We want to end up with marth's back foot at the outer most green-blue arrow as in part 1. So for our first throw to land our opponent outside to the outer most green-blue arrow we must understand that the dodge roll and fthrow travel the same distance. That is, if i grab my opponent, fthrow them, then dodge roll i will end up exactly behind them. This is enough motivation to start marth at the outer most arrow and dodge roll backwards. This dodge roll leaves your back foot at outer point of the center diamond. So from here it should be easy. Simply, put your back foot at the edge (where the light trimming and the dark trimming meet, fthrow, buffer the dash, grab, fthrow, buffer the dash, short hop, dair. Again wait till your below the platform then use your second hop to jump to the ledge to edge hog.

3 fthrows don't seem to work from my testing so I will leave it at only 2 fthrows. After the third 3 fthrow the lvl 9 computer always manages to escape it or dodge it. So i will make a variation. This variation is the dthrow fthrow spike.In my opinion this one is a little more difficult to pull off because I found it hard to buffer the dash after the dthrow. Anyway, we start with Marth's back foot on the second inner most green-blue arrow (the arrow right after the center diamond) with his back foot on the inside of this arrow (meaning his front foot should be facing the center diamonds edge) grab, dthrow, wait a bit till the opponent is about to land and then buffer the dash. When you buffer the dash, grab, fthrow, buffer the dash, short hop and dair. Again wait till you're below the platform to use your second jump to edgehog. This works with bthrow as well.

Thank you for taking your time to read this guide. I really hope its useful. Please, I encourage you all to double check me and test this out for yourselves. Also, i would be grateful if someone manage to make a video out of this. I know you have many active people such as emblem lord, ulevo. This board is very active and lets try to help it out some more. (unlike the falco boards)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
lol dont worry takeurlife2, i saw it one of those 3243243 times =] keep revolutionizing my Marth plz

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
Take been doing this for a while(if people would watch his videos more.)
i know he's been doing this a while! i've watched the math video forum. I didn't say that hey i just created this, let's start doing it! i said im going to help to make sure that the grab to spike becomes 100% accurate. So you never have to guess or luckily get the spike.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Nice video guide.

Also don't use this on your friends Since athfer say 2 they will learn to DI.

Top Bottom