• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I tryed to paint my controller and it can out bad so i got all the paint off and wanted to try again but before i did do i wanted to know a few things.
1. when i was painting i got these bubbles and globs of paint around the edge.

actually thats about it

Thanks for any help

I tryed to paint my controller and it can out bad so i got all the paint off and wanted to try again but before i did do i wanted to know a few things.
1. when i was painting i got these bubbles and globs of paint around the edge.

actually thats about it

Thanks for any help
You are using too much paint then. Or something is wrong with the consistency of the paint you are using. What kind of paint are you using? you should be using spray paint for plastic, did you read the guide? Make sure you spray in layers and DO NOT start spraying over the controller, start spraying away and then cross over the controller with the spray in one motion, and then stop and start over. These cans are usually supposed to be shaken like crazy for a long time sometimes even 10-15 minutes of shaking. This makes sure the paint isnt thicker or thinnner in certain parts and makes the consistency of the paint even.

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
also did you sand and primer? sounds to me like you just painted over the controller and the paint is "fish" eyeing......sand every nock and cranny, primer in light coats. Then paint in even lighter coats, that is the main key. Too much paint it will start to "run".

Junk

Smash Rookie
i just painted mine and some of my friend's controllers i'll post pictures of them tonight or tomorrow.

they look amazing

SeishukuSheik

Smash Rookie
Garh, quick question, fellow painters :d

My abysmally slow internet does not allow me to run through all pages, forgive me. Anyway, my question boils down to this. XD

As a general, what is the best finish for a controller? I just finished painting one for some convention in Georgia that has a tourney (it's pretty sweet, I think, I'll post pics when I get back), and I'm using Rust-Oleum laquer on it.

I also have a Matte finish but I haven't used it yet. Is Rust-Oleum a pretty good brand? I sure hope so, 'cause mine is sitting in the yard, drying itself for the trip xD

Uh, yeah, that's pretty much it. What's your favored brand and type of finish? I'm going to paint more for my crew, and I want them to look their best. <3

ALSO, instead of airbrushing or stenciling, I free-hand painted on it with acrylics. Would the laquer hold it in for a long time, do you think? It seems to be doing a decent job of it so far. >w>;

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
So, I looked through the entire thread, chances are I probably missed it but how do you go about spray painting the c-stick? Mine has rubber over it, what happens if I paint over that and add the clear coats? And how do I get in the areas where there's a hole for the screws?

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I bought a used controller yesterday for modding purposes. this is what I want to do:

Does anyone have tips on where to find LED's, and install them, and how to replace the buttons with fiber gflass buttons or something? I know NOTHING about modding so please provide as much info as possible lol thanks. as for coloring it, i'll use this guide of course. i just need h elp with the LED lights and stuff.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, you'd have to make the fiberglass buttons or just use the LEDs as buttons (lawl). As for instaling the LEDs, that would require some sodering and potentially messing up the controller, if you're willing to do that. I have a few guides to installing LEDs (I've never actually done it myself) saved in tabs on FF at home so I can get those to you if you need them.

Edit: http://www.instructables.com/id/E9NFEFO2ZGEV2Z9QKZ?ALLSTEPS LED How To.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Just a note: When I painted my controller, to get it open we just took a old screw driver and buffed it into the shape of the screw.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I was just practicing taking apart and reassembling my controllers before I mod 'em, and I was wondering how I detach the joystick & C-stick. Do I just yank them off, or do I twist them, or is there something I'm missing? I just want to be absolutely certain before I try something that might break my controller.

EDIT: Heh you just yank it off. Never mind I figured it out :D.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
So, I looked through the entire thread, chances are I probably missed it but how do you go about spray painting the c-stick? Mine has rubber over it, what happens if I paint over that and add the clear coats? And how do I get in the areas where there's a hole for the screws?
Bump for my question has still gone unanswered, could someone help me please?

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see an answer to this ^^^ question myself. Not the paint in the screwholes thing though. Just ignore those. Nobody's going to notice what color the inside of the screwholes is. Maybe I'll have to test this out myself. I wonder how well paint will work on the rubber...

Oh, and does anybody know anything about cosmetically modding a wavebird? My basic idea is to use a plastic bag to cover the electronics 'cause you can't remove them from a wavebird. Does anybody have experience with this?

Bump, But why is this not stickied yet? It's been on the front page for about a year now..
Because unfortunetly this thread isnt about melee. Althouh this guide was made specifically for controllers that are used for melee. thats why we dont mod control function, dont talk about wavebirds since they are banned in tourney unless its small. I should point that out in the first post....

!!!!!!!!! Wavebirds are banned at tourneys!? Why?

Because wavebirds can share frequencies if they are put on the same frequency. Since there is only 16 set frequencies, only 16 can be used in a given area at a time and they must all have their own frequency. SO who is going to run around and make sure all the wavebirds are not on the same frequency? Tournaments have usually way more then 16 people. Tournament directors will either ban wavebirds, or they will tell you that frequency issues are there own problem.

oh snap, I didn't know Wavebirds were banned. Though the reason does make sense.

I always use a wavebird though. =(

I highly recommend you use a wired controller. They do not need batteries. Plus the best reason is that they are smaller and easier to grasp and manipulate. Making it easier to play. Depends how important that is to you though.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
Hi, I've been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post.

So I was messing around with my triwing and I noticed that you can use Wii sticks (like in the nunchuks or classic controllers) in place of Gamecube sticks... I didn't know if anyone had noticed this before but it seems like a lot of people want differently-colored sticks.

I know that I soon want to make a white GC controller for Brawl and I'll probably cannibalize a Classic Controller in the process...

Hi, I've been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post.

So I was messing around with my triwing and I noticed that you can use Wii sticks (like in the nunchuks or classic controllers) in place of Gamecube sticks... I didn't know if anyone had noticed this before but it seems like a lot of people want differently-colored sticks.

I know that I soon want to make a white GC controller for Brawl and I'll probably cannibalize a Classic Controller in the process...

Oh snap i plan to do the same thing ***. Except I dont expect to make the back end white. I probably will go with blue..

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
Yea dude, I was thinking white in front and maybe blue in back also. Maybe to go along with the blue I'll have a little blue G&W logo on the front of the controller where the Nintendo Gamecube logo normally is.

Now to go find a spare classic controller and a spare GC controller...cause if I mess this up I don't want to be short a controller. :laugh:

I wish I could get my A and B buttons to be transparent like a Wiimote button... that would own.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
ok heres my question, Does the color of the primer matter cuz mines a brownish....
And im thinking of some weird decal to put on it any ideas?

ok heres my question, Does the color of the primer matter cuz mines a brownish....
And im thinking of some weird decal to put on it any ideas?
i guess if the primer has a color it shouldnt really matter much, except it might change how bright the spray paint color comes out on top of the primer..

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Thnx I just put on the color and im letting it dry then doing clear I used a blue car paint which makes kinda stars so it looks pretty good Cant really tell since its night out and the color is dark blue.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Aww dude, I got sooooo mad after painting because it went great but the little box for the Main control Stick is broken it moves out of place so I have to buy a new Controller today and maybe buy some red paint

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Do you guys sell these on ebay? I would buy 1 or 2 [once my mom decides if she'll start buying stuff online] because they look really cool and professional.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Red I can sell you my shell all you have to do is switch it with yours or just send me your controller I'll do it free of charge.

Alright guys I updated the first page. I added numero 0 to the Read First section. Check it out! I dont want people to get intimidated to do this. Dont give into color communism!

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Aww dude, I got sooooo mad after painting because it went great but the little box for the Main control Stick is broken it moves out of place so I have to buy a new Controller today and maybe buy some red paint
If the box is broken isn't the case still good? Can't you just replace the insides with that of another controller?

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
anyone willing to trade something for a triwing screwdriver? or if you can send cash in the mail...we'll work something out. just PM me.

Bailey

Smash Hero
I have encountered a problem with my controller holding the L and R in place there is a black piece of plastic in my way and my triwing can't unscrew it.

Top Bottom