• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guilty Gear Series

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
Seriously. Japanese sources are infinitely more reliable than Dustloop.

It's really cool how the #R stages are also in AC. Nobody really knew about it until recently. I can't believe it took that long to find them.

Despite all of the changes, I'm loving the ne Ky more than his Slash incarnate.

I'm learning how to set up LJ loops(No FRC), and they're pretty fun. His FRC's...wow, I don't know what to say. I can FRC 70% of his aerial SE, but I absolutely can't FRC his ground SE. CSE isn't that hard to FRC though.

I'm also loving Order Sol. His combo potential is crazy fun.

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
Yeah, Ky has a bunch of new frcs to learn. And I think most people had an easier time grasping the air SE frcs before the ground ones. Because the ground SE frcs occur pretty late in the animation so it just feels very awkward. I'm getting those a lot more consistently now and they're a lot of fun since you can keep your rushdown going.

OS is really fun to play as well, namely because he doesn't suck now. lol Should you manage to charge his meter to lvl3 (which is much easier now), the damage he can deal with no tension is enormous. His damage off random CH hits is pretty monstrous as well. If you get a CH off his anti-air 5H or lvl1 gun blaze, your opponent is looking at losing half life or more. He still suffers from a few problems that he had in Slash however. For one, he still has trouble against characters who have superior zoning capabilities because he has no long-ranged attacks. Therefore he must constantly be up in the opponent's face to do anything useful. Second he has very little invincibility on a lot of his moves. Storm viper and tyrant rave omega being the only ones with high invincibility. His normals and specials get beat out cleanly by moves that the opponent has already thrown out. So it's up to the player to overcome these weaknesses. You know you can combo into his instant kill right? It's the really long sequence of attacks at the bottom of his command list. Problem is, it requires level 3 charge, full tension, and the opponent has to be at 25% life or less for it to kill them, otherwise it just does a lot of damage. But if you have that much meter for charge and tension, why risk screwing up the IK attempt and just go for a simple bread and butter at that point? Any combo you can come up that utilizes a level 3 and all that tension will more than likely kill them when their health is that low. So go figure. Only go for it if you're feeling really confident. It looks really cool though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That mealstorm guy in the beggining of the thread was saying how there is no mix-ups, rush down, cross-ups or oki game in smash.

R U SERIOUS?!

On Topic: Haven't picked up Accent core. I'm hesitant since I have been spoiled by the large scene for smash and GG players are far more underground. And the community sucks and is very elitist I heard.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
link???????????
Eheh. While I know this makes for bad argument, I can't seem to find the page with the tierlist on that wiki anymore.

This is possibly due to my Japanese being much worse than fluent. Sorry.

That mealstorm guy in the beggining of the thread was saying how there is no mix-ups, rush down, cross-ups or oki game in smash.

R U SERIOUS?!
Um... Calm down? While the mixup comment is completely off, the person was completely right in saying that there are no crossups. A crossup is defined as an ambiguous situation that may have to be blocked in the opposite of the direction that one was initially facing. SSBM (as far as I know) doesn't have directional blocking, so this is pretty much a void concept. There's nothing wrong with that.

One could argue oki game all day, but it certainly isn't the same kind of oki game, since reversals in this game are very limited, meaties work differently, etc. Some argue that the edge game in SSBM is equivalent to oki in other games. I'd say it's rather different, but perhaps it's the closest equivalent. Again, it's not a bad thing, it's just a different game.

On Topic: Haven't picked up Accent core. I'm hesitant since I have been spoiled by the large scene for smash and GG players are far more underground. And the community sucks and is very elitist I heard.
Meh. People say that about the smash community, SRK, Starcraft, Ping Pong, whatever. In any community of considerable size (IE not like... 5), SOMEONE's going to be an elitist, and SOME newbie to the community will run into them, get all butthurt, and tell everyone how much of a set of jerks the entire group is.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Lol... he was bad in #R??? I thought he was mid-tier at least lol.

Did they improve his autoguards? Also what happened with butterfly?
I'm fairly certain that Anji was the second-worst if not worst character in #R as well, it's just that the tier divisions are far less harsh this time around.

Anji now has two butterflies. One is blue, is a special move, and will activate upon hit or block. It hits twice after activating, and both hits are mid. The red butterfly is an FB (takes 25% meter), and is the same, but both hits are high.

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
Yeah every scene has its elitists. I have to say that by nature, fighting game players in general are elitist, regardless of which scene you are part of. But yeah, Anji's AC version is better than his #R counterpart but considering how a lot of characters in AC are powerful, that's not really saying much. :\

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Yeah every scene has its elitists. I have to say that by nature, fighting game players in general are elitist, regardless of which scene you are part of. But yeah, Anji's AC version is better than his #R counterpart but considering how a lot of characters in AC are powerful, that's not really saying much. :\
Actually, all things considered, it actually is saying quite a lot.

While not as good as in Slash, Anji is at least viable now, as even his more disgusting matchups don't fall past the 3-7 line, and there are only a few of those. #R was MUCH worse.

Death Kitten

Smash Rookie
So... what does everyone think about Guilty Gear II? It looks kind of neat... but I'm starting to get really worried they won't have Ky in it <_< The newer lists of characters in the game are conspicuously missing his name, despite the fact that he's obviously an important sort of character... *sniff* It wouldn't be the same game without you, Ky! You gotta make it in!

^Is DreadlordSanta, by the way <_< Why does everyone have to leave themselves logged in all the time?!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sort of important?

He is the main character of the series and friends/rivals with the other main character Sol.

If Ky isn't in the game there would be riots all over Japan.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Guilty Gear-Greatest fighting series of all time?

Yeah, pretty much.

Zappa is the coolest character because he's named after Frank Zappa.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ummmm, what?

I'm saying there is no reason for him to excluded in GG 2.

That's all.

I wasn't saying Japan is dumb, just that taking Ky out is pointless and would hurt sales.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Ummmm, what?

I'm saying there is no reason for him to excluded in GG 2.

That's all.

I wasn't saying Japan is dumb, just that taking Ky out is pointless and would hurt sales.
C-c-c-calm down sir!

I'm just saying that:
A. You can't know that they don't have a reason.
B. It wouldn't affect sales, since people aren't dumb enough in japan to avoid a game because they're butthurt about a character being omitted.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I am calm, I assure you.

Just saying that removing Ky would be a very bad marketing move.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I got the feeling that not having Ky in the game might have caused a few hardcore GG players that were on the fence about Ouverture would push some people to the "not buying" side of said fence... but that wouldn't be a large number of people, in any case. Still, like I said, Ky's now king of an effing country, and he's still Sol's greatest rival and has probably the greatest potential of any non-Japanese human in the entire Guilty Gear world. He really sort of strikes me as the game's Ryu, the antithesis to Sol's Ken, and Capcom would never take out Ken or Ryu... who cares if they're cliche, they're necessary characters.

Although, I'll also have to side with EmblemLord that they really don't have a reason to take him out of the game. He's already been announced as being in Ouverture, he's a major part of the storyline to this point, and almost certainly will be after this point, as well. He's also one of the only other possessors of a piece of Outrage, next to Sol, and NEITHER of them has their old weapons anymore. Hell, I'd bank on Anji being in as well, because he was the third person with a piece of Outrage, and they're going to need to have a lot of exposition to cover up the time in between the two series.

So, yeah, I'm not just a random fanboy who would be "butthurt" (gods, I hate that word...) that they took out my favorite character. It just doesn't make sense to take such an important character and just randomly make him into an NPC when he's always been playable in the past.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Well, for one, it's an entirely different kind of game. Non-playable characters aren't unheard of in a fighting game, but they're rare as hell, because any character is a potentially new fighter, which means a new factor in the balance and variety of the game.

In other genres of game, it's much easier to just have a few playable characters, or even just one in some cases. Especially given that in a complex game like GG2:O is looking to be, creating another character means not only coming up with a ton of things that can differentiate them from the other playable characters, but also programming all that **** in, which is a lot harder than making a bunch of new animations and hitboxes, like one could in a fighting game. If they have enough characters, and have done what they need to do with them, there's no reason to add more playable characters in.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
It's not a cast issue, the plot has him in it, and it's still supposed to be a 1 on 1 fighting game according to Arc System Works. Memory constraints are a possibility, but considering what the 360 is supposed to be capable of, I can't see it as being a reason to have 5 characters instead of 6. Besides, 5 is a weird number <_<

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
Posting on account of a duplicate topic. On the topic of Guilty Gear... apparently playing Arcana Heart has made me suck fairly bad at playing Ky. It's improved my Millia play a bit, though I'm not sure that that's a worthwhile trade, since I still suck something fierce as Millia. Anyone heard of Arcana Heart/want to discuss it? The PS2 version came out a couple weeks ago...

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
I've played Arcana Heart and I think it's a pretty fun game. It's like a hybrid of GG, Melty Blood, and Hokuto no Ken, but it's slower paced than all 3 and a lot easier on your hands.

One of the guys I know is planning a GG major for early next year so I'll be looking forward to that.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I've played Arcana Heart and I think it's a pretty fun game. It's like a hybrid of GG, Melty Blood, and Hokuto no Ken, but it's slower paced than all 3 and a lot easier on your hands.

One of the guys I know is planning a GG major for early next year so I'll be looking forward to that.
Meh. Might as well try it.

Also: Any game anything like HnK can't be that good.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's THAT much like HnK, but then again, my friends and I all had this unreasonable amount of trouble doing any special moves at all, so it ended up just being us flying around throwing out random normals then calling it quits because we couldn't play the game for ****. So far, Arcana Heart reminds me mostly of Guilty Gear, only with way more random roman cancelling and stuff. And more IAD. I think.

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
It has combos that closely resemble all 3. It has MB's jump system, GG Slash for balance, and HnK for boosting and IAD combos. To me, AH plays like a balanced HnK. All the things that I took note of to prove that...

AH: Burst (arcana activation)
HnK: NO burst

AH: Techable wallslams.
HnK: UNtechable wallslams.

AH: Death in 4-5 combos
HnK: Death in ONE combo.

AH: No dizzy mechanic
HnK: Get dizzied in two short combos.

AH: Well-defined hitbox detection.
HnK: ****ty hitbox detection.

AH: No definitive tier listing
HnK: Toki.....Toki.......Toki......and uh.....did I forget to say, Toki? With Rei at a distant second.

And there you have it. But let's get back to GG discussion. We can leave AH for its own thread.

Uke

Smash Cadet
Is there anybody on here that can actually do HOS's friggin' overdrive? I always miss on the last hit, and it's really annoying.

estion11

Smash Apprentice
Is there anybody on here that can actually do HOS's friggin' overdrive? I always miss on the last hit, and it's really annoying.
lol yeah i was just practicing that the other day the timings kinda weird. But who really cares about Ky i mean the only good thing he does is Ride the Lightning idk maybe its just me but hes probably my least favorite character. Slayer, Faust, and Venom (i dont like venom but im really good with him) FTW!!!

ooh and johnny for lower tier victory!!
...btw the picture in the left corner of my sig is slayer if you cant see most of it

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
Do you mean HOS's IK? It's actually pretty easy. Simply press the button when his sprite on the screen is hitting the opponent. I think the timing is much more lenient than it was in Slash. HOS is the only character in the game that can combo into his IK but they need to be at like 25% life or less for it to work.

And ride the lightning sucks. It loses to a lot of other moves and it puts you at severe disadvantage on block. It's semi-useful if you tk it but nothing else.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't really see people use RTL for anything... it's more of a combo vid thing, I guess. Ky does have lots of strengths, though... huge variety in FRCs, one of the best and most versatile projectiles around, good reach, and simple combos, most of which end in knockdowns. He's pretty good on the standards of the previous game, which were unfortunately thrown out the window for Accent Core v_v.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
RWISE FWOM YOUR GRWAVE!

...ahem. I'd say that's a given if you don't play Ky, yes <_< generally people don't use RTL, especially now since it is techable after an air hit, where LJ generally isn't - granted, this isn't true for regular dust combos, people get plenty of time to tech out after LJ after a standard dust, but Ky's impossible dust is better than his regular, so you shouldn't be doing regular dust combos anyway... and besides, doing an overdrive at the end of a long combo ***** its damage horribly, to the point where it's barely even an improvement, and you're wasting 50% tension for it... I'd 1000 times rather have 2 lightning spheres at my disposal than 5 extra damage or so.

On the note of my progress in the game... I've finally gotten used to doing cross-ups and such, so I can play Millia somewhat well, and it makes my Ky a lot more tricky on wakeup, too. I started playing Dizzy AGAIN. I'm getting pretty good at my tricksies with her too, but I'm still having issues ever getting my projectile game started. I have no idea how the Dizzy players out there do it. I can TK both that crazy aerial FB dust-looking thing and ACSE... I pulled off the most amazing forward TK Stun Raising into backwards AD j.HS thing the other day, and the guy didn't block it, so I got a free 6HS->GS right afterwards, it was epic. Ended up being something like 140 damage and a KO afterwards.

So, obviously, I'm still ****** my friends, they're rubbish. My one friend keeps referring to me and him as "us" when talking about skill levels, which is kind of disrespectful, because I'm obviously quite a lot better than he is - I can play 3 characters at a higher level than he can play HOS, who is more or less the only character he seriously plays.

...darn it, now I really want to play more Guilty Gear, but I'm working until 4:30 or something...

Edit: Oh, yeah, I played the Japanese Guilty Gear 2 demo the other day. I don't like it. It's way too hack-'n-slashy. There's, like... a button you have to hit to do combos, and the rest of the time, you just run around randomly slashing at things. The entire game is based around making soldiers and having them fight for you. I mean, it's still fun, but a Dynasty Warriors kind of fun, not a "This game is so deep, I could play it for 2 years straight and still absolutely suck at it" kind of fun. Which is definitely better for a lot of people out there, I'm sure.

Zink

Smash Champion
hey look a GG topic, neat.
I just ordered ^C on amazon... I've heard a lot of good things about this series, so I hope it can hold me over till Brawl. I was thinking of starting with Ky (apparently easy to learn, and also he looks fun), Sol (dude FIRE PUNCHES!), Jam (I don't actually know what her playstyle is supposed to be, can anyone help?), and maybe Testament... he's like undead and such, plus traps are cool.

Top Bottom