• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guilty Gear

Qindarka

Smash Rookie
I just downloaded #R for the 360 marketplace, and I love it. It's addictively fun and never gets old. As you can see in my sig, I play as Robo-Ky, Slayer, and Dizzy. I have found some combos that work for my chars, and some I am still practicing.

I was also wondering if I should get Accent Core, or if I should stay with #Reload for now.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much the greatest fighting game ever. I've got Accent Core, tons of fun though I was crushed to find out how bad Johnny is. I have heard of a lot of people who enjoy #Reload and older iterations more so it's really your call if you want to pick up Accent Core or not. I personally play Millia, Slayer, and Johnny.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
This is a great series, but stick with #reload until Accent Core Plus is/ if it is released were you live, as it has Kliff and Justice back in it, and a Story mode, which Accent Core lacked.

My best characters are Sol, Ky, Chipp, and Jam.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd get Accent Core so you can play it with a better controller. If you have a stick for the 360, you can just stick with #Reload if you want.

My best are Ky, Dizzy, and Bridget.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'd suggest getting Accent Core. The differences are substantial enough that if you want to be up to date, then you should have it. If you don't mind that though, #Reload is fine. Speaking of Reload, do any of you guys play it online? I'm looking for some new people to play with.

I'm heading to an Accent Core tournament in about a week. I main Baiken, so I need to get my IAD mats and basic combos down, or I'm going to get rocked pretty hard.

EDIT- Here's the tournament, in case any of you guys live anywhere near CT:
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5298

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I would play you, but I can't imagine how much I'd suck with the 360 controller.

Good luck at the tourney though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Leopaldon is the best character I've ever had the honor of playing as in a fighting game. Simply put, he is different. This is why I love Guilty Gear.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
If you liked Guilty Gear, pick up Battle Fantasia. It's made by Arc Systems as well and definitely worth checking out.

Also, if you're blessed enough to have an arcade that imports, try out BlazBlue, made by the same company as well.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's fun. Although it's more forgiving with button mashing than Guilty Gear is, I'd say it's as good as Guilty Gear.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
There's an arcade with Blaz Blue in my state. It's almost 40 miles away though...

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I havnt played it in forever, but I remember getting it the first time it was released over here. I got so many people addicted to it. I loved playing Potemkin, Anji, and Faust. Faust was my fav. hands down. Having no one to play it with lately, I ended up jumping into the JoJo games and Ive been all over those. I can totally see the origins of GG in them, all the way down to the heavy musical refrences. What makes JoJo better than GG in my view, Vanilla Ice.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Oh God.
I've been itching to play Guilty Gear for a while. I finally played it a few weeks ago. But to my dismay it was, Isuka >.>

I hate that game lol. I'm just gonna stick to Arcana Heart. It plays a lot like GG, but people say it is a bit slower.

I thought BlazBlue was already out on PS3? That was gonna be the second game I get on PS3 if I decide to get one.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
There's an arcade with Blaz Blue in my state. It's almost 40 miles away though...
There's one about 10 minutes away from me.

It also has Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, Initial D Arcade Stage 4, Third Strike, the best Capcom vs. games, and Fist of the North Star.

I guess that's the plus side of living near Capcom USA's headquarters.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Oh God.
I've been itching to play Guilty Gear for a while. I finally played it a few weeks ago. But to my dismay it was, Isuka >.>
Isuka is an okay game, it's just that the whole R1 to turn thing and the foreground/ background things are annoying.

However, Sol is too good at this on Survival.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
It's the Gear from Isuka. You fight it at level 200 in survival mode. He is very large and slow, and only has a few moves. You need to use aerial attacks to fight it in survival mode.

The final boss from Dust Strikers is cooler than him XD.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Is the one on DS any good? I didn't pick it up cause I didn't want the first time I played GG to be on the DS ha ha.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Is the one on DS any good? I didn't pick it up cause I didn't want the first time I played GG to be on the DS ha ha.
First things first, it isn't worth full price, I got my copy for £5 in a sale, and I'm more than happy with it, but if you can get a console one for cheaper you should get that instead.

Guilty Gear Dust Strikers is fun to play though, and it good to have Guilty Gear on the go. The minigames are slightly boring, although I found this one were you have to tap in Faust when he popped out of random doors slightly addictive. It has all the characters from the X series, excluding Justice, Kliff, Holy Order Sol, and ABA, so it has 21 characters in total I think.

The gameplay is quite fun, although the controls are simplified to a sort of SSB style control scheme for specials- press A to do one special, press A and a direction to do others, and sweep the d-pad and press A for specials for example. However, you can't pull off all the combos like you normally can, and as the screen has platforms sometimes you have to chase after your opponents.

There are random power ups, such as Tension max, and health bonuses, but I think these can be turned off.

The gameplay is a simplified version of X2, but it shares Isuka's 4 player gameplay, and live system. It also has a Robo-Ky factory, but this is used on Robo-Ky, not Robo-Ky II, so you don't actually get Robo-Ky's actual moves, and you unlock more moves to give him from getting high scores in the minigames.

The one thing that I don't like is the fact that I don't think it has a training mode, and you can't pick your stage in single player.

I'd recommend you try it if you can get it for a cheap price, and if you either think the actual games are too difficult, or you don't care that the fighting system has been simplified, then you may enjoy it.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Is Guilty Gear Judgement any better? I've been thinking of picking that up.
Never played it, but my nephew has it and says it's somewhat similar to X2, but has a story mode similar to Isuka's Boost mode. However, I'm not that sure about it, and the fact I'm not a fan of X2 would make me bias towards it.

Someone else will be able to help you out properly :).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Though reload is good, If it's Guilty Gear, then your best choice would definetly be Accent Core. Don't hesistate to try it out, it's actually good, though I'm not so good with anyone other than Sol.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I've never played any of the non-home console spinoffs. I forgot there were so many.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Though reload is good, If it's Guilty Gear, then your best choice would definetly be Accent Core. Don't hesistate to try it out, it's actually good, though I'm not so good with anyone other than Sol.
I want to try Accent Core, but they only have the Wii version in the UK, and I prefer it on the PS2.

However, they may hopefully release Accent Core Plus on the PS2 in the UK, because that actually has a story again.

Sol's one of my best characters as well, although I do spam his down, right, light weapon attack (Volcanic Viper I think it is)

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I play #reload on the pc for online play (not exactly wanting to buy AC for the wii since Dallas seems to be lacking some competition).

New at it, but hopefully once I get a few weeks into the technical stuff, I should be able to do better. If anyone wants to hit up a game, pm.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I want to try Accent Core, but they only have the Wii version in the UK, and I prefer it on the PS2.

However, they may hopefully release Accent Core Plus on the PS2 in the UK, because that actually has a story again.

Sol's one of my best characters as well, although I do spam his down, right, light weapon attack (Volcanic Viper I think it is)
You could always import the game and use swap magic on your PS2 to get past the region lock.

But that's probably too much of a hassle for one game you've technically already played.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I'm a pretty big Guilty Gear/Arc System Works fan, myself. I actually bought a PS3 and arcade stick specifically because BlazBlue is coming out exclusively (at first, in any case) for the PS3 when it eventually does come out (no, it's not out yet, Mithx, you're probably thinking of the American arcade cabinets. I've also heard that the console port might be delayed by ASW so they have more time to monopolize off of arcade intakes, though it's just a rumor at this point.) Where was I... oh, yeah, and since I can also use the stick with any other game I can play on the PS3 (it's a 60gig, so I can do ps2 games as well, at least) why not?

I was a Ky player, once upon a time, and I was pretty good, for a pad-warrior, but I'm honestly kind of sick of Ky - I went to Magfest, which was otherwise a great time, and the Guilty Gear tournament had no less than a dozen Ky players at it, all possessing various degrees of awfulness, though I was clearly and easily the best. Only 2 other Kys seemed to have any idea of what they were doing... (I placed third, by the way <_< beat out a pretty good Baiken player, at least, though I did end up losing to a Faust-playing friend of mine >_<) I've since been playing Dizzy... somewhat competitively, though I'm probably not as good with Dizzy as I used to be with Ky. Dizzy just isn't as good as Ky, I guess... I'll need to make up for it with skill, which obviously won't be something I'll have with her yet. I'm not giving up, though!

hemightbegiant: I hate you as well. You have no idea how much. I'm crazy about Blazblue (Jin and Rachel player, myself) and we still don't have a machine anywhere near my house. There's supposed to be a game store up in Glen Burnie getting one this weekend, but literally EVERYONE from Maryland will be gathering there, so it'll be insanely crowded, and I'll probably just get ***** over and over by anyone who plays someone other than Tager at this point, probably <_< I usually have an easier time with big guys than the more standard-sized characters in fighters.

BloodyPuppy: Judgment itself is a sub-par hack n' slash sort of game for the PSP. Depending on which version of it you get, though, it comes packaged with a copy of either #Reload (american version) or Slash/ (Japanese version). Slash is honestly a much better game than #Reload, from most peoples' perspectives, and there's not much to be missed out of getting it in Japanese, but if you're going that route... you might as well get the PSP port of Accent Core+ from Japan - the PSP is a region-free system, so you can play the japanese version no matter what region your PSP is, but obviously you won't be able to use a stick for it, so you give and take. Also, unrelated - I work/attend school at College Park. We'll discuss stuff in PMs, I hope ^_^

All of you #Reload players: no johns, get Accent Core! It's crazy good, super balanced, and there's not... really... any competition for #Reload anymore. Kliff and Justice are B.S anyway, and sticking with #Reload causes you to miss out on A.B.A and Holy-Order Sol, so you're losing two illegal characters in exchange for gaining two acceptable ones - sounds like a good enough deal to me. I know not EVERYONE plays fighters for competitivity, but I'm assuming enough of you care a little about competition since you joined Smashboards <_< Also, it's not that expensive if you can actually find it, so I especially don't want any money johns!

Isuka is terrible, imo. I experience waves of nausea anytime I actually hear someone mention the game. I can't stand having to manually turn around with a BUTTON, of all things, and the lack of cross-ups cheats you out of a lot of the depth of the mindgames that you could have in the other games. Plus, no dust button = super lame. According to my friend who goes to UMBC, though, there is a rather large Isuka fanbase there (well, large for what I would expect a fanbase of Isuka to be, at least <_<) so... *shrug*

I just checked Wikipedia while researching my info for this post, and apparently Aksys has confirmed a release of Accent Core Plus for an american release sometime this spring, cementing them as my absolute favorite US publisher, bar none ^_^ I'm actually pretty interested in the Guilty Gear storyline, so this is a big thing for me. Very exciting news, especially since it apparently facilitates 3v3 battles as an actual game mode - so we can pretend to be Tougeki! Whee!

tl;dr (and who could blame you?): I play Ky and Dizzy, on a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 stick on my 60 gig PS3. I play Rachel and Jin in Blazblue. I work and attend school at college park, hemightbegiant is a *******, and Accent Core is coming out in the states with built-in 3v3 battle support. Get Accent Core.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually sold Accent Core less than a month ago. I was planning to get Accent Core Plus, so I'm glad the US is getting it in Spring. I wish there was some competition where I live. I used to play this quite a bit with my friend, but he moved. I'm no noob at GG, but I'll need real people to play with to get better. Luckily I pretty good at traditional fighting games.

I need to get a stick for this game. My fingers hurt so much using the PS2 controller. Especially when I'm playing I-NO. Stupid half circle inputs...

Like I said on the first page of this thread, my mains are Ky, Dizzy, and Bridget. I really should use Testament a bit more since he's a better keep away character than Dizzy and Bridget are.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
Bah, just because he's better doesn't mean he's better at playing keep away ^_^ He's just a much better trap character than Bridget (double entendre! Yay!) and... has better combos, and whatnot. No bad matchups at all on his side, though, so if you like Testament, he's a ridiculously good choice - although he's still not as good as Eddie. *shudder* Eddie...

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i still haven't played blazblue
i checked where the nearest one near me was
went there and it wasnt there

i play jam
i need to buy a stick also
recommendations?
i know about hori...
n thats about it lol

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i dont have a ps3 (hopefullu i'll get one before blazblue us launch)
i still have my ps2
plus arent those sticks hard to come by?
any good alternatives?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Don't get an SF IV stick.

SF IV sticks aren't backwards compatible with (most) PS2 games that are played on the PS3.
And the Standard Edition Stick has a lot of problems to boot.

Just go with Hori for the PS2 or PS3.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Don't get an SF IV stick.

SF IV sticks aren't backwards compatible with (most) PS2 games that are played on the PS3.
And the Standard Edition Stick has a lot of problems to boot.

Just go with Hori for the PS2 or PS3.
You serious?
That's the main reason why I wanted a PS3. So I could get the SF4 stick and use that to play my PS2 fighting games as well as SF4 and BlazBlue when it comes out.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You serious?
That's the main reason why I wanted a PS3. So I could get the SF4 stick and use that to play my PS2 fighting games as well as SF4 and BlazBlue when it comes out.
Yeah, it sucks. Apparently, individual games need to be patched in order for some of the sticks to work, I've heard. Since Sony dropped BC, that means no more patches.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
well it seems i am most likely going to buy a hori stick (ps2)
cause that is really only the brand i kno that is good
good thing i wasnt planning on getting a SFIV stick
good thing accent core plus is coming out on ps2

now i have to try to save up for a ps3 and wait for blazblue
and buy another stick (ps3)

Top Bottom