• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guitar Hero World Tour (and Metallica)

D

Deleted member

Genre: Music
ESRB Rating: T (Lyrics, Mild Suggestive Themes)
Platform: PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii
Developer: Neversoft
Publisher: Activision
MSRP: $189.99

• Create a rocker
  • Create a song
  • Guitar, bass, drums, vocals
  • All tracks are masters

Fictional characters:
  • Axel Steel
  • Casey Lynch
  • Clive Winston
  • Eddie Knox
  • Izzy Sparks
  • Johnny Napalm
  • Judy Nails
  • Lars Umlaut
  • Marcus Fretshredder
  • Matty Canns
  • Midori
  • Pandora
  • Riki Lee
  • Shirley Crowley

Guitar Career:

Rock Stars:

Billy Corgan: Smashing Pumpkins singer and guitarist, solo artist.
Song: "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins

Travis Barker: blink-182 and +44 drummer.
Song: "Dammit" by blink-182

Hayley Williams: Paramore singer and keyboardist.
Song: "Misery Business" by Paramore

Sting: The Police singer and bassist, solo artist.
Song: "Demolition Man (Live)" by Sting

Ozzy Osbourne: Black Sabbath singer, solo artist.
Songs: "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne, "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne

Zakk Wylde: Ozzy Osbourne guitarist, Black Label Society singer and guitarist.
Songs: "Stillborn" by Black Label Society, Guitar Duel

*Image not available*
Ted Nugent: Solo artist, singer and guitarist.
Songs: "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent, Guitar Duel

*Image not available*
Jimi Hendrix: Jimi Hendrix Experience singer and guitarist, deceased rock legend.
Songs: "Purple Haze (Live)" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, "The Wind Cries Mary" by Jimi Hendrix

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Neversoft headquarters:

"Well, it looks like Rock Band is dominating us in every capacity..."
"Yeah... how about we copy them?"
"Nah, people are too smart for that."
"They played like 10 versions of the same Tony Hawk game and didn't mind."

*Magazine Cover*
"Neversoft changing Music Games forever!"

In short, I don't care. Guitar Hero 3 sucked because Neversoft took over, and I see this doing nothing special. The "innovative drumset" looks interesting, but it makes playing yellow a lot harder if you have to play red or blue with it (Edit: I see there are two cymbals, which I assume are both yellow. That makes me slightly less critical of the model, but I still won't buy it). I'll feel more realistic, sure, but it's nothing special. Create-a-song will suck. Want proof? Play "Frets on Fire." The create a song mode is TERRIBLE because those songs with a ton of notes, you have to create every note individually.

If the game works with Rock Band stuff, yeah, I'll give it a rental, if not, pass.

D

Deleted member

Not neccessarily. Despite Rock Band's extra instruments (or pehaps because of), GHIII sold more copies.

But, if you're referring to the critical reception, on the other hand, I would agree.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
ewwwww. create your own songs? ***** please, that **** was hard enough on frets on fire.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
It's about time they added the cymbals! Now I can consider it a decent looking game.

Hopefuls:

1) From Autumn To Ashes - Pioneers
2) From First To Last - We All Turn Back To Dust
3) Protest The Hero - Bloodmeat (that'll be quite a challenge)
4) Saosin - Bury Your Head
5) Anberlin - Godspeed
6) The Audition - Warm Me Up
7) The White Stripes - Icky Thump
8) Thursday - Ladies And Gentlemen: My Brother, The Failure
9) Underoath - *anything off the new CD coming out this fall*
10) Alesana - *anything off the new CD coming out in June*
11) Smashing Pumpkins - Zero
12) AFI - Bleed Black

iTz_HaVoC

Smash Cadet
hmm...i'd probably stick with Rock Band. and about the Create-a-song, WHY? not that many people i consider will sit there for hours making their ONE song perfect. If i can use my RB gear then i'll rent it. if not, forget it.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Neversoft headquarters:

"Yeah... how about we copy them?"
"Nah, people are too smart for that."
"They played like 10 versions of the same Tony Hawk game and didn't mind."
:laugh:

Excuse me for my ignorance, for I haven't read the article, but will I have to purchase and/or use the drums and mic while I play or can I just buy and play with the guitar exclusively?

lol @ Create-a-song unless they do a real kick*** job, which is doubtful. That's all I really have to say right now until I read the article or more info comes.

Maybe I'll get this, but I need more info, mostly soundtrack but everything else is nice too.

As long as I'm here, a wishlist:

Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train
Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker, Achilles' Last Stand, The Ocean, Black Dog...hell, they should just make a Led Zeppelin Guitar Hero.
Almost anything from Yngwie Malmsteen.
FogHat - I Just Want to Make Love To You
Queens of the Stone Age - Almost anything, although Misfit Love and Tanglied in Plaid simply for being in my own personal taste.

HIZKIT this is GHIV, not GH Aerosmith.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
This looks awesome, though it's copying rock band so much I'm surprised it isn't being made by Sony. The high hat is a nice improvement, but I still long for a double bass. Create a song could be cool if you could download them from the net or something, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Some songs I want:

ACDC - "Back in Black" or "Thunderstruck" or "For Those About to Rock"
Metallica - "Fade to Black" or "Master of Puppets"
Styx - "Miss America"
Van Halen - "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" or "Eruption" (bonus)
Dragonforce - "My Spirit Will Go On" (bonus) or "Fury of the Storm" (bonus)
Linkin Park (since they are in apparently) - "Place For My Head"
In Flames - "Behind Space '99"
Sonata Arctica - "Black Sheep"
Stratovarius - "Forever Free" or "Speed of Light"
Eagles - "Hotel California"
Dream Theater - "Panic Attack"
Symphony X - "Seven" or "Evolution" or "Eve of Seduction"
Boston - "Smokin'"
Def Leppard - "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
Offspring - "Hit That"
Rush - "Spirit of the Radio"
Ozzy Osbourne - "Over the Mountain"

Not the greatest list but it's alright.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
With create a song, they have effectively killed any future revenue from DLC. Why pay for a song when you can go online and people will post how to make it?

Also, GH Aerosmith looks awful.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who's kinda peeved that they blatantly copied Rock Band?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You aren't the only one. Eric and I were laughing how it's still called 'Guitar Hero' last night.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Ah well, I'd play it just for entertainment value. I never quite bought Rock Band's whole gimmick to begin with (although singing Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" was a blast), so this really isn't affecting me that much. But if I had a list, it would have quite a few of these.

Metallica- Fade to Black
Guns N' Roses- Paradise City
Boston- More Than A Feeling, Peace of Mind, ect. Yes, ect. Boston is godlike.
Journey- Don't Stop Believing
Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit
Disturbed- Ten Thousand Fists
Motley Crue- Dr. Feelgood
Sixx AM- Life is Beautiful
Twisted Sister- We're Not Gonna Take It
Van Halen- Running With The Devil
Eddie Van Halen- Eruption
Cold- Give
Billy Joel- Big Shot
Dragonforce- Fury of the Storm

Some of the songs are downloadable anyway, but would still be awesome. I think next they should make Guitar Hero Boston. Would have had Enter Sandman, but Rock Band took it. Dragonforce just seems like kind of a staple now, I guess. My only regret is that I really can't put any Aerosmith on there that isn't already covered in the new expansion. If I could, it would be Dream On.

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
This game looks pretty nice. I just hope that if they come out with a Wii version again, it's actually going to have as much features as the Xbox versions.

Also, why don't the developers of rock band and GH just band together to form an awesome guitar and drum game. That would make much more sense :ohwell:

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
For the same reasons that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo don't band together to form one ultimate console.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I think this'll be another great music game. Guitar Hero 3 was a big success, I'd say, and I think if Neversoft was smart they'll take all the good things about Rock Band and GH and make the best game out there. Of course, they are obviously copying Harmonix, but that's fine for me. Copy it all night long and make it better for the consumer. And I hope the Wii won't be so limited. Maybe I'll have a Xbox360 by the time this comes out.

Somasu

Smash Ace
To be honest, if they were gonna create this game with vocals and drums AS WELL AS guitar, they should've dropped the name "Guitar Hero" and given it something else that makes a little more sense..

Hell, even using "Band Hero" would be more fitting.

Anyway, I'm a huge RB/Guitar Hero fanatic, so this is definitely something I'll have to look into. Though, I'm worried now, since I'm **** sure all this equipment will just jack the price of the game immensely... plus I worry about what features will be console exclusive. I'm really hoping they learn from their previous mistake and (somehow) give the Wii version Downloadable Content. Not to say I fanboy the Wii.. I ****ing hate the Wii version of GH3, but sadly, I'm unfortunate enough to where I really can't afford a brand new gaming system at this time.

Here's hoping this is good. I want a lot of good songs on there.

And please, god, no Dragonforce. Dragonforce sucks =/ Their song is okay in GH3, and it's mildly fun, but I'm so **** tired of every song request thing for GH4 having "DRGNFURCE! PLZ!"

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Unless Nintendo creates an official external hard drive, there will be no DLC. The reason is if you add it to this, every other game will want to add it as well, and they can't have some flash drive to support that many titles.

Wuss

Smash Champion
^I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure DLC was confirmed for GH 3 for wii sometime this year. I believe I read this on gamespot...

so btw, crimson king, I'm afraid to tell you, but saying GH3 is boring is subjective. I find it extremely fun. I've been playing it since the day it came out, and have never gotten bored. I honestly don't know you, but you probably don't like GH because it's harder, and you're not that good, so playing expert on rock band makes you feel better. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, and you may be better than I am even, but I'm just stating the simple fact that rock band is easier than GH3, and I really like the challenge that GH3 offers me. I'm still trying to 5 star raining blood (I'll get you someday you jerk!). So yea, my opinion is that if GH4 is as hard as GH3 if not harder, I will be happy, and will possibly buy it, although I don't want the drum set or anything, just like guitar. We'll see...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't like Guitar Hero for the fact it feels NOTHING like a guitar, hence why in Rock Band I play drums. Nice try though.

The guitar is just a rhythm simulation, which once mastered never really gets more difficult than that. The drums at least require some actual skill to play and are a whole hell of a lot more fun.

I don't know you personally, but I'm not pathetic enough to need reassurance about my worth through a video game. If a game is too hard, I don't play it on the hardest setting. It doesn't really bother me that much.

As for DLC, I'll believe it when I see it. For Rock Band, Wii and PS2 are getting add-on discs, which further prove GH3/4/Aerosmith DLC won't be happening.

NoriakiZ

Smash Cadet
Create a song FTW?!?!?!?!? for real?
Yes, but I wouldn't like it.

I think, like other people, it will just copy Rock Band. I've gotten bored with Guitar Hero, and would like Rock Band. Of course, I will use my first guitar if it came to PS2, but if it came out for Wii, most likely, I would get the Les Paul guitar or something. The Fender Stratocaster won't be ruined with the Wii Remote right in the middle, as it won't need such a thing or something. If they (Neversoft) do that, I guess I would tell Harmonix that they are fricking steal some ideas.

<_<

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
They aren't stealing ideas. I was joking. It's what the market wants, right now, and as long as it innovates in some way, it's not necessary stealing.

Ripping off? Sure, but ideas are public access. Unless Harmonix patents everything, which they can't, they have nothing.

If nothing else, this will make Rock Band 2 come out sooner and be much better.

S2

Smash Lord
Well, you can't really blame GH4 for adopting ideas Rockband started. That's basic competition. People loved drums in Rockband, which is the direct competetor. So why woudn't Harmonix add something that their competetor is using as a selling point?

That being said, I hope that the Guitar Hero franchise doesn't lose focus. I love Rockband because I like to sing and play the drums... but seriously, Rockband's fun factor is highest as a coop game because it wasn't really designed to be played solo that much. It's a social game. Guitar Hero, while fun with 2 players, always functioned really well as something you can do by yourself. Both series are awesome, I'm just hoping that they don't slowly meld into practically the same game. GH was always strong because it's focus was on the guitar alone. The guitar was always fun for every song because they don't have to pick songs that'll cater to all the different instruments.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
The game informer issue also mentions Dream Theater will be in the game, which for me is big news. The magazine says the character customization is very superb, but from the pictures the graphics don't look that great IMO. Of course, it's not the final product, but I'm not too convinced it'll change much.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Hopefully the guitar part won't be stupid like in GH3. GH3 sucked. It was hella overcharted to make up for the fact that the hammer-ons were piss-easy to do. I hope they go back to the GH2 or Rock Band style(since it is already Rock Band anyway)

I too am confused why it is called Guitar Hero still...
Oh well, I love Rock Band anyway so I won't complain.

I want to sing though... I like singing, they better not mess it up.

D

Deleted member

I too am confused why it is called Guitar Hero still...
Animal Crossing: Wild World had no railroads, yet it still retained the title "Animal Crossing". Its purpose is to identify the game as part as a certain franchise.

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
I hope they got rid of those stupid guitar battles. they sucked................... alot.....................still cant beat Lou(grumbles)................................. 2 hard..............4er me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways guyes i think my fingers have a problem, when i have to press the GRB chord my ring finger wont go up and forcebly comes down on the yellow button makeing it very difficult to hit that cord. anyone else have this problem?

Wuss

Smash Champion
I don't like Guitar Hero for the fact it feels NOTHING like a guitar, hence why in Rock Band I play drums. Nice try though.

The guitar is just a rhythm simulation, which once mastered never really gets more difficult than that. The drums at least require some actual skill to play and are a whole hell of a lot more fun.

I don't know you personally, but I'm not pathetic enough to need reassurance about my worth through a video game. If a game is too hard, I don't play it on the hardest setting. It doesn't really bother me that much.

As for DLC, I'll believe it when I see it. For Rock Band, Wii and PS2 are getting add-on discs, which further prove GH3/4/Aerosmith DLC won't be happening.
Have you played a difficult song on expert with the guitar? probably not seeing as you said that you don't like the guitar controller (which I understand, I play the guitar and I agree, it's extremely different). There is a lot of complexity to getting the highest score possible (meaning all of the star power strats), also, how can you say its just mastering some rhythm? Have you ever played a difficult song on expert? I can 4 star raining blood relatively consistently, but I still fail it from time to time because it is really hard. It's not at all just about mastering a rhythm simulation. You have to be able to read ahead (if you think i memorize every song, you're dead wrong. The only part of a song I have memorized is the intro to TtFatF), you have to be able to react really quickly to changes in rhythm as well as pitch. Also your argument about the drums taking skill is completely invalid, because the guitar takes a lot of skill as well. Not a single person in the world has gotten 100% on either one or TtFatF, and yet somehow, it doesn't take skill to play the game at all...

How does wanting a challenge in my video games make me pathetic? I just want my games to be relatively hard and really fun. If it's not hard, the game better be really **** fun, otherwise, what satisfaction can I get? If you want to argue that you shouldn't be getting satisfaction from video games, then I can't really argue with you, cause I wouldn't know how to disprove that. I'm just saying, I like playing difficult, fun games because beating them gives me great satisfaction, as well as a great feeling of accomplishment. Not to mention, babes love a dude who can play GH really well ^_^

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
Some of the songs i would like in GH4 would be:

Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train
Van Halen: Runnin' with the Devil and if there are boss battles still, than there should be one vs. Eddie and the battle should be Eruption
Guns n' Roses: Civil War
Metallica: Master of Puppets
Def Leppard: Hysteria or Pour some Sugar on Me or Animal or Photograph
Bon Jovi: Livin on a Prayer
Queen: We are the Champions
Led Zeppelin: Stairway to Heaven
Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit
The Eagles: Hotel California
AC/DC: Back in Black or Highway to H*** or She shook me all night long
Weezer: Say it Ain't So
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Snow(Hey Oh) or Can't Stop
Faith No More: Epic

and that would be my dream set list with others to go along with it

orintemple

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing: Wild World had no railroads, yet it still retained the title "Animal Crossing". Its purpose is to identify the game as part as a certain franchise.
Still, Band Hero, still has the word hero, so its still identifyable as to what it is, unless your a complete idiot, but Guitar Hero seems misleading.

Still I guess changing the name technically costs money, best to save money by keeping the same old logo.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
*sigh* How about this. Everyone who isn't looking forward to the game, we understand, you like rockband better. That's great. I really don't care if you like rockband better than GH3 and think GH4 is going to suck. Go back to console wars and argue pointlessly there. Seriously, why would anyone care whether you hate the game or not? It's like going into the PS3 topic and saying "HAI GUYZ, PS3 Is TEH SUXORZ. BUY A REAL CONSOLE LIKE THE 360 LOLOLOLOL" (consoles are interchangeable, I randomly inserted them). If you don't like it, why stress yourself out talking to people who and arguing an argument neither side will win?

That being said, I wonder what the price point on this will be. Honestly, one of the big factors preventing me from getting rockband Wii when it comes out is the $170 price point. When this comes out I might just buy the disc and play the guitar tracks, maybe buy drums or a mike separately when available.

As for Create-a-song, it sounds interesting, but I probably won't make more than 5 or so. It would take to long otherwise, unless they are something ridiculously easy. Also, it won't negate DLC since a) There are the 5/10 song limits and probably more, like you can only trade a song if you made it, which would prevent one DLC song from being creted and then spread accross the internet. People are going to save their create-a-song for things that they wanted to be in the game that aren't, ie the first thing I'm making is the SSBB version of Mute City. b) If the song is decently difficult, there's no way in hell people are going to be making it. Ever seen Devil Went Down To Georgia on expert? I would never put in the enormous amounts of time it would take to create that.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The new Guitar Hero is sounding great to me, at least.

I would like to see some Disturbed (hah, fat chance), and some Thirty Seconds to Mars.
Would be pretty awesome.

And does it have vocals? Would be sick if it did, but either way I'm buying it on release day.

Top Bottom