• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guitarists unite!

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
Me as well. I enjoy playing all kinds of music. Acoustic occasionally. I tend to shred a lot. Also into the metal scene in general.

Anyway.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16
Squier Sp-10 15 watt

Pedals
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Ibanez Tubescreamer DELUXE

:)

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
So I bought myself a Bass yesterday out of pure spontaneity. :laugh: Anyone have any book suggestions for helping me learn?

I already have a strong music background, I play tuba and flute and I know a good amount of music theory, so it would be nice if I could find a book that doesn't focus so much on the basics of general music knowledge(if that's even possible for any kind of beginners books lol). So yea, anyone know of any good books to help me? I'd appreciate it.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Save yourself money and look for stuff online. The interent is a great resource for guitar/bass stuff since neither instrument has a classical training like process that you'd find on piano or cello. The two are very open ended most players even the greats are self taught. What exactly are looking to learn?

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
RaptorHawk, I'd suggest taking a couple of lessons if for nothing else than to learn the proper technique. Bad habits can form real quick, and they take a long time to shed later on. Once you have the basic idea down on how to play bass, you can teach yourself from there with relative ease. Especially if you have a strong music theory background. That'll transfer over pretty well from tuba and flute. What doesn't translate is hand positioning and picking/plucking/slapping/popping techniques.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
I called up my old high school band teacher to give me a few basic lessons. He's going on vacation this week and I'm going next week so I'll take a look online and see what I can find till I can meet up with him.

As for what exactly I'm looking to learn I dunno. LOL. I just randomly decided I'd like to learn bass.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have an Ibanez Gio [I didn't want to go with Ibanez but that's all the store had, no regrets though] and a Roland 20x. Not the best gear in the world but if I go any higher in terms of quality the gear will **** my wallet and bank account [everything is more expensive here ;_;].

IrArby

Smash Ace
I'm going to interject a observation/opinion and state that generally, people who drop their low E to D or C always end up playing in the key of D or C and often just use the lowest string as a pedal tone to do hammer ons and pull offs on the adjacent string.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Indeed the Electric guitar is the most versatile and expressive instrument there is though pianist tend to disagree which is why I hate them.

Autydraggon I like your location.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I really need to learn some theory though. I don't know anything about keys and scales so I'm really at a disadvantage.

IrArby

Smash Ace
If you learn the 7 modes (which on guitar are interlocking shapes across the fretboard spanning two octaves) then you'll know how to play anywhere in any key anytime. Seriously, its not hard. They double as finger/picking exercises. If you need me to explain what modes are I'd be more than willing to as well as offer any other help or answer any questions you might have. I've got a good background in theory particularly how it applies to guitar since different aspects of theory are more or less applicable to guitar than others. Guitar players don't give a **** about tetrachords and pianist don't know **** about modes.

Top Bottom