• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gunman kills 33 on Virginia Tech campus

Sandy

Smash Champion
CNN NEWS said:
(CNN) -- The Virginia Tech police chief said at least 20 people were killed in twin shootings on the Blacksburg campus Monday morning.
"Some victims were shot in a classroom," Chief Wendell Flinchum said, adding that the gunman was dead.
"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified." (Map of Blacksburg)
The attacks mark the worst school shooting incident since 1999 when Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.
A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries.
Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.
One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, the engineering science and mechanics building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene )
The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.
Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."
The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.
Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.
"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.
Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.
"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.
Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )
"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."
Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.
The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.
The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.
After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.
"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.
"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

Story Highlights

NEW: Police chief says at least 20 people are dead, some of them students
• University reporting that a suspected shooter is in custody, another sought
• AP: 1 dead, 1 wounded in first reported shooting on Virginia Tech campus
• Student describes situation as "mayhem"; says 2 students jumped from window

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Holy ****, are you kidding me? This is terrible. This is absolutely terrible. I honestly don't even know what to say. I just checked cnn.com and the front page says 22 killed (including the shooter). Wow...

Met

Smash Ace
I live in blacksburg I am a highschool student and from what i know 22 are dead more are wounded and in critical condition. The gunman either killed himself or was shot by a officer. All my friends that go to tech are safe and friends parents that work there and I thank god for that. I feel terrible and i send my prayers to the viictums familys. I cannot believe this, what is wrong with us as people. How can people do this to one another?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Incredible and despicable, my condolences to the victims and their families and friends. It's pathetic to see that someone who believes that their life is not worth living must also ruin the lives of those surrounding them.

Unbelievable.....

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Yeah I saw this on TV an them covering it, like 10 more plus were confirmed dead aswell an so many more injured, really made me think cause I mean thats just terrible to hear.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
The most people died in this than in any other school shooting to date.

How people can be against gun control when things like this happen is beyond me.

and the shooter committed suicide. Just like Columbine. Except this is worse because it was only one kid yet he killed and hurt so many.

Apparently he had two automatics, one in each hand.

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
Correction: This is a higher death toll than any mass shooting, school or not, in America. Just keep the families in mind, I know firsthand how hard it is to find out what the heck is going on with friends there, one of my friends was in the building and was smart enough to make sure they barricaded the door, but it took me over an hour to find someone that knew he was ok. Just be mindful that other people weren't so lucky.

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
Wow guys, over 30 people dead:( . I think this is even bigger than the attacks on Columbine (if I'm not mistaken). Hearing of this remind me of Bowling for Columbine and how violence affect the United States and all. I recomend everyone to watch it if you can, is really really good and can teach us all a few things of why people do this kind of things.:ohwell:

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Some kid freaking out about funds/grades, or was he trying to make his mark in history as a mass murderer, topping the Columbine shooting? Either way, he was obviously mentally unstable. Maybe I missed it in the article, was it a kid that attended that college?

This is a horrific tragedy. I'm disgusted. We have enough sh** to worry about these days without things like this happening in our back yards. My sincerest condolences go out to the victims' families and friends.

Edit: this was on the front page of CNN..
CNN News said:
At least 31 people were killed Monday in a shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, according to two Virginia congressmen -- making it the deadliest school shooting incident in U.S. history...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
They have not released any information about the shooter, not even if it was a student or someone random.

Sandy

Smash Champion
*UPDATE*

Associated Press said:
BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a Virginia Tech dorm and then, two hours later, in a classroom across campus Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing the death toll to 31.

Students complained that the university did not warn them about the first deadly burst of gunfire until hours later.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."
It was not immediately clear whether the gunman was shot by police or took his own life. Investigators offered no motive for the attack. The gunman's name was not immediately released, and it was not known if he was a student.

The shootings spread panic and confusion on campus. Witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire. SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. Students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

The massacre took place at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a coed dormitory that houses 895 people, and continuing at least two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away, authorities said.
Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.
Some students bitterly questioned why the gunman was able to strike a second time, two hours after the bloodshed began.

"What happened today this was ridiculous," student Jason Piatt told CNN. He said the first warning from the university of a shooting on campus came in an e-mail about two hours after the first deadly burst of gunfire. "While they're sending out that e-mail, 22 more people got killed," Piatt said.
FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, "but all avenues will be explored."

Government officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they did not want to pre-empt an announcement by higher-ranking authorities, put the death toll at 31.
At least 26 people were being treated at three area hospitals for gunshot wounds and other injuries, authorities said. Their exact conditions were not disclosed, but at least one was sent to a trauma center and six were in surgery, authorities said.

Up until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard plowed his pickup truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.
The massacre Monday took place almost eight years to the day after the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo. On April 20, 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

Previously, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history was a rampage that took place in 1966 at the University of Texas at Austin, where Charles Whitman climbed the clock tower and opened fire with a rifle from the 28th-floor observation deck. He killed 16 people before he was shot to death by police.
Founded in 1872, Virginia Tech is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia, about 160 miles west of Richmond. With more than 25,000 full-time students, it has the state's largest full-time student population. The school is best known for its engineering school and its powerhouse Hokies football team.

The rampage took place on a brisk spring day, with snow flurries swirling around the campus. The campus is centered around the Drill Field, a grassy field where military cadets — who now represent a fraction of the student body — once practiced. The dorm and the classroom building are on opposites sides of the Drill Field.

A gasp could be heard at a campus news conference when Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum said at least 20 people had been killed. Previously, only one person was thought to have been killed.
Investigators from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives began marking and recovering the large number of shell casings and will trace the weapon used, authorities said.
A White House spokesman said President Bush was horrified by the rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of Virginia.
"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed, and classes were canceled through Tuesday. The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children. It also made counselors available and planned an assembly for Tuesday at the basketball arena.
After the shooting began, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.
Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.
Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks by authorities but said they have not determined a link to the shootings.

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting. Last August, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus. The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.
Police chief says at least 22 people are dead; congressmen report 32
• Four hospitals report 29 wounded
• Attacks mark deadliest school shooting in U.S. history
• Student describes situation as "mayhem"; says 2 students jumped from window

http://www.cnn.com/video/portable/promoplayer.html?mode=live&stream=1&source=pop/#

cF=)

Smash Lord
Security isn't the point of all this, it's the result of an unstable individual who goes on a deadly rampage. I'm extremely saddened and hope the best to all the families who suffered the lost of someone during this tragedy.

Why are the humans the only animal capable of doing so much pain to our own kind...

Supa-Def

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* And I just recently finished a paper featuring the Columbine incident... This is very tragic and I wish the very best for those families that've been affected by this whole situation... This is truly saddening..Just goes to show that anything can happen at anytime, anywhere

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Why are the humans the only animal capable of doing so much pain to our own kind...
Hey cuz, it'$ not like it'$ every human'$ fault ju$t cau$e one traumatically troubled p$ycho take$ it upon him$elf to $hoot up people and make$ him$elf infamous.

What can I $ay cuz, $ociety is corrupt man.

If I wa$ God, I'd condemn him to a permanent vacation in H**L!

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
This is horrible.. Why the heck, would the college WAIT 2 hours after the first shooting to tell everyone? They are going to be in some serious trouble for that.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
I was shocked when I heard of this. I hope all the smashers who go to VA tech are OK. I don't really have anything smart to say. I wish things like this would not happen in this world.

nookrulz

Smash Ace
K, I go to a college elsewhere in Virginia, so this information is secondhand, but the current story is that the guy found his girlfriend in bed with another dude and shot both of them and the RA who heard what happened. Not sure yet why he decided to shoot up a classroom 2 hours later.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I kinda wish they woulda taken the shooter alive. Has there ever been a school shooter that didn't end up dead? I want to hear, from the *******'s mouth, what drives them insane. There has to be a reason for the taking of lives of people you know.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
T'is a sad, sad world we live in. This is absolutely horrible. I just faced losing a loved one myself just two weeks ago when my dog died, and THAT was bad. I can't even begin to come close to imagining the greif that the family members of the victims will be in over the next little while. Losing someone you love always brings up tons of questions and doubts, it truly is a horrible thing.

I find it absolutely incredible that someone has enough instability to go on a rampage like this, without even thinking about what they're doing. And I totally agree with Crimson, it would've been great if the police took him alive. I for one would like to know what sort of garbage would cause someone to turn themselves into a monster like this...

My deepest condolences and prayers for all the victims and family members.

Xeritross

Smash Apprentice
~T.C.~

Sadly I know people that go to VA Tech.:( And hopefully he didn't kill or hurt anyone I know.
I hope he fukcin burns in hell with not only the devil but God laughing at his azz!!!!:mad:

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
its sad that this crap happens in america. . .but whats even worse (got my info from MSNBC.com)

it turns out, close to the start of the shootings, a teacher SENT AN E-MAIL OUT to the rest of the school which was IGNORED. had the message been given any thought . . . less people would have died today

(mostly this post was to get rid of the irony of the topic having 33 replys, which wasnt right given the subject)

Rumikun

Smash Apprentice
I was in Blacksburg for a tounament little more than a year ago. I would like to know if the guys I met and played with in 'Wake Me Up When September Ends" are ok =[

What has the world come to?

My thoughts and prayers go to all the families and friends of the victims.

nookrulz

Smash Ace
its sad that this crap happens in america. . .but whats even worse (got my info from MSNBC.com)

it turns out, close to the start of the shootings, a teacher SENT AN E-MAIL OUT to the rest of the school which was IGNORED. had the message been given any thought . . . less people would have died today

(mostly this post was to get rid of the irony of the topic having 33 replys, which wasnt right given the subject)
actually, the entire school had just gotten that e-mail when the 2nd round of shootings started.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
This is just terrible. I come home from my Mexico missions trip and this is the very first thing I hear. How absolutely disgusting.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can't say much that hasn't already been said so here's another view.

Stuff like this never happens around which is why it's nice to live in a small country/island in the middle of nowhere.. But I can picture Jack Thompson and his pose [can't add the accent] getting ready to have their field day with this.

The sad thing is, they [the lawyers] don't care. They don't care about the victims, they don't care about jusitice, all they care about is being known as the guy who [dam I can't remember the correct term] made this law.

I wonder if that kid was a gangster...

Top Bottom