• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 GYT Commentary on MLG DC incident: "This was bound to happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadCthulhu

Smash Cadet
Posted on front page of "Get Your Tournament" Website

link to article: http://www.gytnews.com/articles/commentary/this-was-bound-to-happen.html

FOR DISCUSSION
(no flaming)

====================================================

This was bound to happen

Written by Glenn
Wednesday, 27 October 2010 13:12
Well there you go, Brawl players.

Chant, "Boom goes the dynamite," "You ****ed up," "This really sucks," whatever you want. They all fit well. Say goodbye to 2011. Does it matter now if MLG Dallas sells out? Numbers probably won't help in getting Brawl into next season's competition.

Nothing should.

Brawl has no place in the 2011 MLG season. And don't start with the "two bad apples" defense because we're talking about two of the top 16 players in the nation screwing up.

This was a long time coming.

Today's news of match fixing comes in a time when more people are looking at what is going on. People who hate Brawl? They're licking their lips like Vega licks on his claw. You gave them more reason to hate the Brawl community. The fighting game players that got pissed because their game wasn't in and Brawl was were seething, wondering why that type of prize money was going you players who played a "kiddie" game. And now you gave them fuel to add to their hatred.

When I popped on Twitter just an hour ago, I saw people who don't cover Brawl talk about this news. That's how much times have changed. Hey Brawl players, more people are watching your every move, not just Brawl players. Some are scratching their head, others are laughing.

All because things didn't change from a couple years ago.

I'm not covering the Street Fighter IV series, or Tekken 6 or any other of the mainstream fighting games if it wasn't for today's news.

Early last year, I wrote a commentary expressing my disdain for the community openly splitting prize money, not playing championship matches, and friends deciding who should move to the next round by way of discussion instead of playing it out (the latter likely being the reason for today's news what's happened). There was a stretch of five Southern California tournaments in six weeks which there was no winner; the two finalists decided to not play for the title, opting to split the money and let their friendship stay strong.

I was pissed at the Brawl community for letting the competitive fire be extinguished because of friendships and the almighty dollar. When would they grow up and try to be competitive without financial manipulation? You can still be friends even if one kicks the *** of another.

But hey, I was just as excited as anyone when MLG brought the game in for the 2010 season. They were giving Brawl a chance.

I hope the Brawl community loved their chance, because two players just blew it for everyone.

For the sole purpose that I wanted to keep my thoughts to one link, I'll just update this. This afternoon, ADHD, one of the two perpetrators in this match-fixing scandal, posted a rebuttal and a plea to be allowed to compete in Dallas.

I'm not going to be a forum troll that breaks down every sentence; I'll save that to those people who find humor in doing it.

I have a problem with ADHD going on two public forums explaining his side of the story. Did he try to contact MLG officials? Did he go public just to get people on his side? His side of the story leaves a lot to be desired. MLG is judge, jury and executioner in this situation, but by going public, ADHD just entered the court of public opinion.

BSP

Smash Legend
Sigh...

Not saying it's M2K and ADHD's fault, but it sucks that Brawl's probably not going back up :(

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Back to Gears, it seems.

At least Gears had a stream. Just get some good announcers. 09's were terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom