• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HAL Laboratory Expresses Interest in a "Full 3D Kirby Game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
This news is somewhat belated, but I thought I'd post it anyway: http://nintendoeverything.com/hal-laboratory-very-interested-in-making-a-fully-3d-kirby-game/

Shinya Kumazaki, director of Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Yurie Hattori, HAL Laboratory's managing director, and Satoshi Ishida, PR staff, have recently been cited in an interview that they are very interested in making a fully 3D Kirby game.

Fully 3D is understood to mean that this game would feature an engine that allows for the game to be played in a fully 3D environment a la Super Mario Galaxy and other games of its subgenre. Given what they describe in the interview, the gameplay will likely be of the traditional Superstar-esque formula (inhale enemies and copy their powers). A 3D Kirby platformer has never been done before. If done right, it could turn out to be a series renaissance title! However, taking a series and adapting it in 3D can turn out to make for some awkward gameplay. Just ask Sonic the Hedgehog! Think about how the 2D mechanics of Kirby would translate into 3D.

For those of you too lazy to click on the link provided, I'll quote the fragment of the interview provided in the aforementioned article:

Kumazaki: “We’re really interested in making a fully 3D Kirby game! I suspect there are also more than a few users who’d appreciate being able to freely run around a sprawling map, fighting with copy abilities.

“In one of our previous titles, Kirby Air Ride, there was a mode called City Trial which saw players racing around a large 3D city area on Air Ride Machines. It definitely showed off how well the combination of the Kirby style action and 3D environment works, so I think it’s certainly a possibility given how much Kirby is capable of!"

“The amazing 3D effect of the Nintendo 3DS goes really well with 3D action games, as proven with Super Mario 3D Land. We thought this would also work well in a side scrolling action game too, and that we could use this to develop a new play style that made use of 3D effects with a real sense of depth. It was this that led us to create Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

“In Kirby: Triple Deluxe, most of the stages go back into the screen, and so what we’ve created is a new side scrolling action game where enemies come at you not just from back within the screen but also from at the front of it too! We think this area has a lot of potential for expanding on in the future."

“Of course, we’re also continuing to evolve the Kirby series as a whole, and I hope that one of our next challenges will be to produce a Kirby game in full 3D that still maintains the same depth of play our fans have come to expect.”

Hattori: “Kirby as a character has such a huge variety of transformations and appearance that of course if there is enough desire from our users, it’s possible he might one day explore a 3D world.”
Float on over, Kirby fans! Please provide your incites on what you want and expect out of a 3D Kirby game! What abilities would you like to see return or be made? Can you think of any environmental gimmicks to capitalize on the 3D gameplay? Speaking of which, how do you imagine Kirby playing in a 3D environment? Discuss!:4kirby:

Addendum:
Mods, please understand that I've decided to keep this thread separate from the "Kirby!" thread on this board in order to focus discussion and speculation of this potential Kirby game. I wouldn't want this detracting from a more general Kirby discussion.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
On one hand, a fully 3D Kirby game would be really neat, but on the other hand, I'm a bit worried about how it'd handle... I don't doubt HAL's ability to make it work, I'm just blank for ideas.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Despite loving how Kirby currently is, it would be interesting. I think they could do it, but HAL's had issues back in the GC days when they experimented with different styles. Kirby on the scope of Galaxy would be heavenly though.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It seems as if there's a bit of concern with this project's threats, yet there's a void of information about these concerns.

On one hand, a fully 3D Kirby game would be really neat, but on the other hand, I'm a bit worried about how it'd handle... I don't doubt HAL's ability to make it work, I'm just blank for ideas.
I'm very optimistic on what HAL could do with this. They've made the Kirby franchise pretty durable when it comes to exploring new gameplay concepts. Yet it's somewhat hard to conceptualize Kirby from 2D to 3D. Like, how do you imagine sucking and floating working?

Personally, I can see sucking becoming a 'beam', where you can aim, angle, expand, and retract the scope of your inhale. This way, the gameplay isn't so perpendicular and it could make wiggle room for puzzles. Floating needs more thought because of how it could break the flow of the platforming (almost like it does already, but not necessarily so). I can imagine them giving it 6 'jumps' before falling like in Smash and Kirby Air Ride.

Despite loving how Kirby currently is, it would be interesting. I think they could do it, but HAL's had issues back in the GC days when they experimented with different styles. Kirby on the scope of Galaxy would be heavenly though.
I don't think this game will affect any future Kirby games from disposing the 2D formula, if that's where you're getting at. Mario remained perfectly fine gameplay and formula-wise on both formats. How they are citing Galaxy as the inspiration gives me good vibes.

They also cite Kirby Air Ride when referring to how abilities work to suit that game's style. For the limited number they have, none of them felt repetitive and remained quite effective. Fire creates damaging plumes on the ground that can be angled, Sword cuts anything in close range, etc.

Bringing back the environmental interactions from Squeak Squad is a must. That could really help realize the challenges present in a sprawling 3D environment. This is something you don't see much in Kirby games, including Squeak Squad. Have Ice freeze liquids (water, lava, etc.) to make destructible walls, paths, etc. (I would play a couple levels of Ice Island in Squeak Squad just to do this for fun) Have Fire burn down certain objects such as grass or rope. Sword, Cutter, Leaf, and Spear could do the same, only with cutting. Hell, have Fire spread on whatever it catches and have something like Sword dynamically reshape whatever direction it cuts in. Give Spark conductive properties with metal surfaces and destroy anything in water. Bring back Animal so you can drill and mow away dirt. You may even use it to traverse different parts of a level.

THERE'S. SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL. HERE.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nah, I mean I'm pretty satisfied with how the Kirby series is, but it'd be nice to have them mix it up a bit. I'm sure if they did a full 3D game, they'd keep both styles.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I could see inhalation working as a beam, yeah, kinda like Luigi's Mansion does it. It'd be particularly interesting to see if they could build platforming around the idea of being able to absolutely break it with floating, but that seems like a crazy headache for everyone involved, so it probably would be limited, yeah.

Now, would it - in your guys' minds - be more akin to Mario 64/Sunshine (big open places) or 3D World (smaller, individual stages)?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
This image has me thinking how it could be Galaxy-esque:

Preferably, there should be a mix of both types of terrain. Would make for a more diverse game experience, given what they can do.

Booster

Smash Lord
I would love to see a 3D Kirby, normally 2D games are a treat, but the Kirby Formula is growing really stale, take a break from 2D, do 3D for a while and then do 2D again, it's how 2D Metroid remains to be a treat!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
What I would love is if they did a 3D game with the sort of idea Milky Way Wishes was. Except the difference would be you can still steal enemy power ups, but you can still get copy essence deluxe from bosses throughout the game to keep a power permanently in the menu. And to keep things expanding, you could mix and match 2 powers (like Crystal Shards) from only copy essences on the fly with the gamepad.

It would be a fun idea since getting a copy essence each time would be like exponentially getting a power up.

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
I would be perfectly content with a Kirby Air Ride 2, with just City Trial. I would play that game to death!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
You may contribute as much discussion on any subject having to do with the game as desired. I think there's enough people in this thread to start a new feature. Introducing...

QUESTION OF THE DAY!
What copy abilities would you want to see return/made and how will they affect environmental interactions?

If enough people respond, I can move on with other speculatory questions. If not, the question will stay and eventually wither up.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You may contribute as much discussion on any subject having to do with the game as desired. I think there's enough people in this thread to start a new feature. Introducing...

QUESTION OF THE DAY!
What copy abilities would you want to see return/made and how will they affect environmental interactions?

If enough people respond, I can move on with other speculatory questions. If not, the question will stay and eventually wither up.

I think Animal Kirby would work pretty well in a 3D game. Digging through levels or just popping underground to sneak up on enemies could be pretty cool in a 3D Kirby game.

UFO Kirby could be a temporary copy ability or part of a mini-game.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Animal is a must. I already specified how they could make use of digging and clearing paths.

UFO falls into the same category as Circus IMO. Have no anonymity of their own to be needed in the game, but are fun to use. Except UFO was always more devastating.

Laser would make a cool revamp. The main purpose for them was ricocheting off of surfaces to shoot out-of-reach objects. They should add a fully-charged death ray too. Maybe you could feed the lasers directly into machines or mechanical doors as a power source or something.

Seriously, can anyone explain the mysterious disappearance of Water in Triple Deluxe? Hell, it was astonishing enough it took two decades for one of the most essential elements getting a copy ability. No, snorkel controls don't count. Anyways, water could be used to put out fires, wash away sludge and gas, and surf against the edge of water. It would be cool if there was some way to absorb water from different surfaces or moisture to power-up your water attacks or create surging tides, floods, and tsunamis.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
QUESTION OF THE DAY!
Which characters do you expect or would like to return and can you see yourself playing as them, single or multiplayer?

I just really want to see Gooey in a new game.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
3D Kirby game?
Dreamland Warriors (Hyrule Warriors styled Kirby game) confirmed. :p
Hmm. Both series have a fair assortment of power-ups and popular side-characters. I've imagined that before, as ridiculous it would turn out! :p

I'm sure we can expect to see Dedede, Meta Knight, and some new villain character to knit the plot together, whether or not they're actually the true antagonist or final boss. Bandana Dee should be sticking around in some form. Maybe bringing the gang back together would work for multiplayer or extra modes? Though that's not required.

Whatever happened to Adeline and Ribbon anyways?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Hmm. Both series have a fair assortment of power-ups and popular side-characters. I've imagined that before, as ridiculous it would turn out! :p

I'm sure we can expect to see Dedede, Meta Knight, and some new villain character to knit the plot together, whether or not they're actually the true antagonist or final boss. Bandana Dee should be sticking around in some form. Maybe bringing the gang back together would work for multiplayer or extra modes? Though that's not required.

Whatever happened to Adeline and Ribbon anyways?
Kirby, King Dedede, Metaknight, and Bandana Dee need to be playable. As for the villain, Nightmare? He recently came back.
Adeline should also be playable, and Ribbon. Also, if Nightmare is the villain, maybe playable Dark Matter? After all, you can play as Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors and he's just about always a villain.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I could absolutely see the usual four, but I'd hope - like others - to see Gooey or Adeline back.

Villain-wise, it'd be neat to see Marx and the one from Return to Dreamland that I'm not spoiling, since a line of dialogue seems to imply that the latter's aware of the former.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would prefer a completely new character as the fourth playable character. Someone with an unique design and not a Waddle Dee wearing a bandana.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
This could be interesting. I think it would be neat if Kirby's inhale could be aimed, like in Luigi's Mansion. It would add a little more depth, having to aim your inhale to suck up certain enemies and such.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
QUESTION OF THE DAY!
What mechanics would you like to see be added or return? Do any of these mechanics function for main controls, environments, hazards, other characters, etc?

bertod0

Smash Rookie
on the subject of kirby´s ability to float, i do believe he would be able to jump five times in midair.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Don't necro such an old topic please. Any community type threads are fine, but nothing like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom