• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The halo doesn't show up right away, mine didn't appear in my backpack but I could equip it anyway.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just checked it out now, every class can wear it, and you can assign it to everyone too (for people like me where you have very few hats :c)

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any hats.... :(

At least I'll still get the halo's for all my classes. :)
The halo is a global hat, therefore you only get 1 :S.

I think VALVe should just wipe all the items from everyone's backpacks *besides achievement unlocked weapons* and start with a better system when they come up with one.

btw I have 2 hats, the fedora and the headband.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I only have the first engineer one, and I never play him anymore (excluding cheater's lament)

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
Valve should just get rid of all hats... They don't even do anything and if you haven't been to the TF2 forums in awhile, you dont want to now...

Sensai

Smash Master
I really don't quite understand why people are upset about this. Err, rather, I don't understand how they can feel that they're justified about being upset.

I don't like achievement servers, either. I just don't see the point...just play the **** game.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
I really don't quite understand why people are upset about this. Err, rather, I don't understand how they can feel that they're justified about being upset.

I don't like achievement servers, either. I just don't see the point...just play the **** game.
Yeah but it's hard to play the game when there are two communities separated between a stupid item. When I ask for an uber to take out a nest, and the person stops ubering halfway through because I don't have a halo, I can't play.

Superstar

Smash Champion

I saw nothing wrong in the idling program, but its really nothing to get pissed all over. I mean, today they gave you BACK items if the process deleted an item you have achievements for. So now, the only thing to get pissed about is hats. =/

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The halo is a global hat, therefore you only get 1 :S.
I've only got one, but I have it equipped on ALL of my guys (sans sniper) at once.

I think VALVe should just wipe all the items from everyone's backpacks *besides achievement unlocked weapons* and start with a better system when they come up with one.
So those of us who don't want to screw people over by playing badly for achievements, or spend hours on "achievement" servers I think the random drops are a great idea.

I saw nothing wrong in the idling program
Despite the fact it's breaking the Terms of Service?

Interestingly when I equipped my Halo I found I had 2 dead ringers. No big deal there, but one's level 1 and one's level 5. Weird.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The only time I idled was when the weapons were not attached to achievements, I didn't use the program though, I just used servers and after I got all of them I was done with idling. Hats were never worth the trouble to being with.

EDIT: I have a Halo, apparently it's okay to idle on real servers, just not through a third party program.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
I've only got one, but I have it equipped on ALL of my guys (sans sniper) at once.

So those of us who don't want to screw people over by playing badly for achievements, or spend hours on "achievement" servers I think the random drops are a great idea.
Thats how we got them before Spyper update. I think everyone will agree the random drops was a bad idea due to so many dupes. It'd be okay if they at least made the rest of the class updates first.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Thats how we got them before Spyper update.
Doesn't make it perfect. We ate meat raw. Should we still do so despite the negatives?

The major problem was you either played a completely different game (TF2 Achievements) while everyone else is playing TF2 or you spent a good deal of time in achievement maps. Then using the new weapons you go and play the main game and it becomes harder for those who don't have those new weapons. Random drops, while a tad annoying with the dupes, was a great step towards balancing how they're obtained. This way you can be rewarded for playing the game how it should be.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I felt the achievements were getting easy with each update, if you compare the Medic ones with the Spy and Sniper ones there's a major difference in difficulty. I never had a problem with doing the achievements because as long as they weren't too out of the way of normal gameplay they would get done eventually.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
The only achievements you would ever possibly need to boost for to get weapons would be medic (Heavy is arguable, but every one of his unlocks are downgrades (The KGBs being arguable, since they are useless anyway [Why use fists when you have minigun?]).

I never went into an achievement server for anythign except medics, getting each other weapon about a day apart from each other. The chances of finding the three weapons from the random drop system BEFORE you unlock them via achievements is relatively low, especially considering the fact that you will find about 40 duplicates of that item after you got the achievements anyway.

And as a last resort to getting the weapons, you could use the achievement unlocker and risk VALVe taking your account/weapons without any warning whatsoever, as they did with the idler.

:S

Sensai

Smash Master
The major problem was you either played a completely different game (TF2 Achievements) while everyone else is playing TF2 or you spent a good deal of time in achievement maps.
Oh c'mon. That's a little harsh. When the Medic patch came out it was definitely a ***** to get all of the achievements*, but every patch since then has been completely doable without achievement whoring at all.

@My Cat Owns: The KGB is definitely an upgrade. Simply because it may or may not be his most used item does not mean it isn't an upgrade.

*fun fact for those who didn't know. When the Medic patch, the first set of new weapons, came out, you had to get EVERY SINGLE ACHIEVEMENT to get the last weapon.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
Oh c'mon. That's a little harsh. When the Medic patch came out it was definitely a ***** to get all of the achievements*, but every patch since then has been completely doable without achievement whoring at all.

@My Cat Owns: The KGB is definitely an upgrade. Simply because it may or may not be his most used item does not mean it isn't an upgrade.

*fun fact for those who didn't know. When the Medic patch, the first set of new weapons, came out, you had to get EVERY SINGLE ACHIEVEMENT to get the last weapon.
Normal fists are better unless you are some crazy ninja who wants to use melee only. If you are going to melee more than 1 person at a time, the KGB is better, but hopefully your team has an engineer (since you are heavy and the competitive beta hasn't been released, you won't be using him in 6v6) you should then have ammo for your minigun.

KGB is for t3h lulz

4% APR

Smash Champion
the crit bonus is for any weapon though, so you could theoretically pull out the mini gun with the crit bonus given from the kgb. Or you could keep punching like a real man

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
the crit bonus is for any weapon though, so you could theoretically pull out the mini gun with the crit bonus given from the kgb. Or you could keep punching like a real man
after switching and spinning up, you have about 1 second of crits left >_>

You'd be better off just minigunning the first guy, and while staying revved up, minigun the second.

Also, the sandvich is absolutely useless as long as your team medic has been playing for more than an hour/ you have any sense of knowledge of the map whatsoever. Your mobility with teh shotgun is a good weapon to keep out if you are low on minigun ammo, or need to finish someone off from a distance.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion

You'd be better off just minigunning the first guy, and while staying revved up, minigun the second.

Also, the sandvich is absolutely useless as long as your team medic has been playing for more than an hour/ you have any sense of knowledge of the map whatsoever. Your mobility with teh shotgun is a good weapon to keep out if you are low on minigun ammo, or need to finish someone off from a distance.
Do not underestimate power of sandvich.

4% APR

Smash Champion

You're right, which is why i said theoretically, because it really doesnt work. On that note, if you kill a guy with the kgb while in the crit bonus, does it give you another one?

edit- i really really wish i could find any use for the sammy. It just seems soooo bad

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
You're right, which is why i said theoretically, because it really doesnt work. On that note, if you kill a guy with the kgb while in the crit bonus, does it give you another one?

edit- i really really wish i could find any use for the sammy. It just seems soooo bad
I think it adds another 5 seconds of crits. I have a friend who goes KGB heavy a lot in our server and I usually pocket him for the lulz. It's really useful I guess as long as you have an ubermedic pocketing him he can get kills, but yeah the medic could be healing the team and therefore being more use there.

Yeah. I think they could rework the heavy update once/if all the class updates ever come out.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah...the sandvich is pretty pointless unless you're on a team that has absolutely no medics. The shotty's just too good. :-D

You generally have more like 2 and a half seconds of crits, which while it isn't a whole lot is still quite a bit. You don't always have time to rev up the minigun and, if you can get the kill with the KGB, why would you skip the crits?

I agree that it's not worth the time to unspin the minigun, pull out the KGB, kill the guy, and then switch back to the minigun...but if you've got the shotty out you're not wasting nearly that much time.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I prefer fists, I tend to get crazy crits with the fists so KGB isn't really for me.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
Jeah...the sandvich is pretty pointless unless you're on a team that has absolutely no medics. The shotty's just too good. :-D

You generally have more like 2 and a half seconds of crits, which while it isn't a whole lot is still quite a bit. You don't always have time to rev up the minigun and, if you can get the kill with the KGB, why would you skip the crits?

I agree that it's not worth the time to unspin the minigun, pull out the KGB, kill the guy, and then switch back to the minigun...but if you've got the shotty out you're not wasting nearly that much time.
If you've got the shotty out and are within melee range, urdoinitrong

Actually, if you are within melee range and the other person isn't dead/ubered urdoinitrong.
Unless you're using natascha

But have you heard about the new fists they are testing in beta? GRUs or something that makes you run faster while they are out. There's like 3 different side effects they are testing like healrate while out, damage to self per second while out (makes you even more of a medic buddy), and decreased max hp while out.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If you've got the shotty out and are within melee range, urdoinitrong

Actually, if you are within melee range and the other person isn't dead/ubered urdoinitrong.
Unless you're using natascha
I like being in Melee range with my minigun, it's very satisfying to kill someone [even heavies] from full health in less than a second, I usually get those kills by jumping around corners or jumping from heights like the top of the basin in Badwater.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
I like being in Melee range with my minigun, it's very satisfying to kill someone [even heavies] from full health in less than a second, I usually get those kills by jumping around corners or jumping from heights like the top of the basin in Badwater.
Lol I meant they should be dead at melee range since the heavy does something like 450 dps. Which is why you don't use the heavy's melee at all. you can't do 450 DPS even with 100% crits.

Sensai

Smash Master
Lol I meant they should be dead at melee range since the heavy does something like 450 dps. Which is why you don't use the heavy's melee at all. you can't do 450 DPS even with 100% crits.
Your'e going to have to explain your math to me. The Heavy 'does something like 450 DPS' but at the same time he can't do 450 DPS 'even with 100% crits?' Are you talking about 450 DPS while you have your fists out? I'm guessing that's what you meant.

I'm not suggesting that Heavies should legitimately keep their fists out. What I'm saying is that if you're 100% sure you can kill someone with your fists, you'd much rather have the KGB in order to get the crits. The only advantage to spinning the minigun up is that you're better prepared to kill anyone else that might be around...but like I said, I'm not suggesting the KGBs unless it's a guaranteed kill that isn't going to put you in any danger.

[Edit:]

Also, I'm really excited for those new gloves. Woooooooooh!

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
He means the minigun does "something like 450 dps", while with melee attacks he can't get 450 dps even with a 100% crit rate.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
Your'e going to have to explain your math to me. The Heavy 'does something like 450 DPS' but at the same time he can't do 450 DPS 'even with 100% crits?' Are you talking about 450 DPS while you have your fists out? I'm guessing that's what you meant.

I'm not suggesting that Heavies should legitimately keep their fists out. What I'm saying is that if you're 100% sure you can kill someone with your fists, you'd much rather have the KGB in order to get the crits. The only advantage to spinning the minigun up is that you're better prepared to kill anyone else that might be around...but like I said, I'm not suggesting the KGBs unless it's a guaranteed kill that isn't going to put you in any danger.

[Edit:]

Also, I'm really excited for those new gloves. Woooooooooh!
I'd rather have the regular fists. The only time you'd use your melee is if you're retreating back to a dispenser/ammo pack because you fired all your minigun ammo and for some reason you have teh sandvich equipped. A spy might think he's sneaky and come onto you so the 5 seconds of crits is pointless here.

Yeah at least the new gloves will be useful.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I haven't been on TF2 for a while, has the Halo thing cooled down now? The community was starting to get annoying and the Aion open beta just happened to start up around the same time so I haven't played TF2 at all since then.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I haven't been on TF2 for a while, has the Halo thing cooled down now? The community was starting to get annoying and the Aion open beta just happened to start up around the same time so I haven't played TF2 at all since then.
It wasn't a problem on my server, most of us were idlers anyways.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
If you check the steam forums, there still are some people who care enough to rant their life away about not getting one but even going into a server you don't really see this whole 'DONT HEAL HALOS' or 'BACKSTAB NON HALOS' thing at all. I think it's cooled down and hopefully if an update is released it will just vanish completely (Like the medals did :D)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh yeah, what was the deal with the medals? Were they something characters could wear?

Top Bottom