• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo Reach

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
This game is def going to be the best multiplayer FPS for the next ten years. Thoughts? who has played it yet?

Vts

Smash Champion
This game is def going to be the best multiplayer FPS for the next ten years. Thoughts? who has played it yet?
it sucks.

now if they fix the issue with melees then it will be good right now melee is amazing

its like halo 2 melee but maybe better

over all i'm not impressed with it so not getting it.

Vts

Smash Champion
what issues with melee? i had no problems.
just the fact its really good thats all.

i will one of these days pick it up.

i just don't know when

don't get me wrong its a fun game but by my look at it is it needs some more tweaks in minor areas like the auto aim is little to much.

and to the fact it auto aims to the chest.

but these are only things i noticed really fast when playing a tournament to try and win a free copy.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I am so trying to read this as a Smash Melee conversation. At some points, it's viable.

Renth

Smash Hero
Halo Reach is by far not going to be even close to the next best FPS, In comparison to Halo 3 it is as melee is to brawl. (Okay, obvious exaggeration but Halo 3 is clearly more competitive.) Halo 3 you can break boundries such as: Ghost Jumping, (popular example gold 1 to gold 2) and every advanced trick in halo 3 takes precision and practice. so far the only game breaking thing about Halo Reach is you can hack fire fight to be invincible to get an extremely easy achievement.

The BR vs. The DMR

- The BR was a fantastic weapon the halo community fell in love with over the years from Halo 2 two through three. Mastering this weapon not only made you better at the game but you had a lot of fun in 1v1 situations and is what made Halo 3 a fantastic team playing game that took time and skill to master.

- The DMR However I think being a single burst rifle is supposed to make it harder to win a similar fight ultimatly making it harder to master right? Each time you shoot The balloon effect on your reticle makes you have to time your shots out at a much slower pace and is highly unreliable in comparison.

The Armor abilitys are fun and welcome new team related content: My friend and I were playing doubles I would use the armor locking ability while he had a sprint. By utilizing this combination it gave us an edge competitively seeing how i'd make myself invincible then he'd shoot a rocket at me while people tried to assassinate me. There are many different examples here I could use but I don't feel like typing here all night long.

Understanding that it is a whole new game and the new abilitys are fun to play with, the ranking system is beyond sub-par it is also something a lot of halo fans have come to frown upon. It turned Halo into Call of duty in the sense you earn credits to buy armor rather than a highest skill on the chart of 1 - 50 the ranking system was a lot of reason I and a lot of people enjoy halo 3 over Reach. To be fair, Reach is a brand new game and I am judging harshly and quicky. However, calling it better or more competitive than halo 3 is a joke.

If anything, Halo Reach is to fun as Halo 3 is to skill.

Edit: Remeber Halo Reach I've spent roughly ten hours with, Halo 3 I've spent a few years with this is biased and completely opinionated but isn't everyones critisim just opinionated garble?

Renth

Smash Hero
Though in all respects, it sold over six hundred thousand copies opening night and bungie had recorded over 4 million games played.

It may be the next over hyped popular fps doesn't automaticly make it one of the best.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Well one thing that sucks about the melee is that say you have any kind of shield left at all. The melee attack will only take away the shields no matter how much is left.

In order to make sure you can kill with a melee attack you need to make sure all the shields have been drained which is a big change from previous halo games.

It's enough to damper the game for me, I'm having a lot of fun with it and think it's great:)

Nope

Smash Lord
I don't like how they have changed the melee system, it is now faster to double beatdown then to beatdown someone and jump back and headshot. I also don't like the fact how Melees almost always just break your shield even if I have put three shots into you. (Unlike in the old Halos a couple shots then a beatdown would score a kill.)

The DMR However I think being a single burst rifle is supposed to make it harder to win a similar fight ultimatly making it harder to master right? Each time you shoot The balloon effect on your reticle makes you have to time your shots out at a much slower pace and is highly unreliable in comparison.
I really really like the reticule bloom in this game, sure you have to fire slower and further distances and you really have to get your timing down, but this really will separate better players from the average ones. You can actually fire pretty fast like in Halo 3 up until the last headshot you can just wait half a second let your reticule go down and get the kill. This will definitely be a more team based Halo then ever (as they have been evolving that way ever since Halo 1). As far as how competitive it will be it's more like Shadowrun (which I loved, and if you have never played it you missed out).

It turned Halo into Call of duty in the sense you earn credits to buy armor rather than a highest skill on the chart of 1 - 50 the ranking system was a lot of reason I and a lot of people enjoy halo 3 over Reach.
Yes thats true, except for the Team Arena mode, which is Ranked and very much like WoWs PvP system ranking now. They have Seasons for a couple months at a time, your rating starts at 1500 and goes up or down based on your wins or loses. It's also set up so it's all DMR start (like MLG so it's awesome!)

Halo Reach is by far not going to be even close to the next best FPS, In comparison to Halo 3 it is as melee is to brawl. (Okay, obvious exaggeration but Halo 3 is clearly more competitive.)
Comparing Halo 3 to Melee is way off, I think the Halo Games are VERY similar to the Smash games. I'm not going to go into every detail but here are the basics I see:

Halo 1- a few useful glitches and tricks, nading rockets/snipes to you, backpack reload, double Melee, lots of individual play, Run fasters then H2, throw nades like a man, jump like a women.

Smash 64- a few useful glitches and tricks, Z-cancel, Puffs teleport, very basic controls (no spot dodge or air dodge.) Both Smash64 and Halo 1 play very similar and feel raw.

Halo 2- Useful glitch and trick filled (game changing ones): BxR, Double Shot (RRx), Quick reload (yy), Reload when your host when you throw a grenade (xx), Sweep Sniping, faster paced game with lots of early deaths. toss the flag to run faster, slower run speed then H1, throw grenades like a women, jump like a black man. just to name the basics.

Melee- Useful glitch and trick filled (game changing ones): Wavedash, L-Cancel, dash dancing, light shielding, airdodge in any direction, fast paced game with lots of combos and early deaths. Tons of useful techs, I'm not going to type them all so go look at the list of awesome tech in tactical or General discussion.

Halo 3- both games get nerfed and "balanced": game speed slows down, more teamwork oriented, BR nerfed to have random shot effect (tripping anyone?), No real game breaking glitches. more new player friendly gameplay, Forge to create own maps, fileshare to record games.

Brawl- both games get nerfed and "balanced": Game speed slows down, more teamwork oriented, edgeguard glitch fixed, magnetism, tripping to nerf Dash dancing, No real game breaking glitches, Custom stage builder, replays to record games, you get the idea by now.

Halo Reach - yet to be found out 100% yet

Smash 4- ????

Either way I like playing all the Halos, even reach and if you want to play with me add me on live.

II Nope II

Also post in this thread and have other people add you!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286459

Edit: Also I do want to add: Armor Lock is LAME!!!! I was playing 1 bomb assault on the Ivory Tower remake (Reflection) and we killed 3 of them, armed the bomb, then the 4th one ran in jumped and was 1 shot on top of the bomb, armor locked and disarmed the bomb in Armor Lock!!! You can disarm it with just one round of armor lock. That needs to be fixed bungie!!! (sorry I had to rant that)

AfroQT

Smash Master
EDIT: Whoops thought he was talking about something else

And as for Halo Reach, i think Halo 3 sucked ****, but atleast it had the BR. Reach doesnt even have the BR? da **** outta here with that

Halo 1 and 2 were good in my opinion.

Trikrome

Smash Apprentice
@ Nope

Its awesome to hear somebody who says the same thing ive been telling ppl for years. I played Halo 2 competitively and I hated Halo 3. And i feel the same way about Melee and Brawl. I play Melee competitively but i hate Brawl. lol

As for Halo Reach, I've been playing it since launch night and I love it.

*** all the equipments except Sprint tho. Sprint is too legit. Evade is really good too but its just too broken.

Nope

Smash Lord
MLG is not going to use anything but Sprint anyway so I'm not trying to get too attached to anything else.

Renth

Smash Hero
add I B SWEDDINN to your friends list and play with your friendly neighborhood monsters today!

Gerbil

Smash Champion
What I like about Reach is the Hit Scan. Now host no longer matters as it is your own console that reads and verifies a hit and kill rather then sending information to host and waiting for a return packet. I.E. every shot hits where you point. Thus the need for reticle bloom so as to prevent over abusive accuracy. Thus the slower pace with the staple gun. Also, thus no longer the need to lead any shots. You can point and click. This requires an effort to CALMLY land your shots and kills. If you choke under pressure and start rapid firing, you MIGHT get lucky, but more often than not, you'll die. This, I find, is a very "different" feel of pace and I like it a lot better. The clam, collected person in battle will be victorious. (unless you run into a shotgun LMAO)

DMR IS a BR btw. Anyone read the books? Contact Harvest clearly defines the BR as a DMR with the functionality to switch between single and burst. Also, H2 HAD the ability for single shot in the very beginning, but in the end went with a burst. Just some fun facts : )

Judging its competitive ability is to early. I like the Arena personally. It allows us to see how we compare in the future against the rest of the world before resetting ratings. On the flip side, True Skill from H3 is still in effect to match you with others, thus allowing you to play at your level.

About Melee: If you're gonna melee in battle, do it FIRST BEFORE you lose your own shields. At least this way you have the option of getting the second beatdown (a gurantee kill) before they do, OR pulling off that headshot should they back away too far (or evade backward/sideways). It's not complicated at all, and honestly I have yet to see it being overpowered in the final product. Had it still worked like the Beta, then yes, I would agree.

X the Derp

Smash Apprentice
I think Reach is better than H3 because H3 is slooooooooowwwwwww as ****. Also, Reach feels almost JUST like H2, which is nice, with the exception of jumps being nerfed and freaking bumper jumper using X for jet pack :(.

Player-3

Smash Hero
forreal guys

play on spire

go to the top of the tower

shoot holograms off like suicide bombers

D

Deleted member

Probably gonna get this game sometime soon...

If only to nostalgia for the perfect blend of Halo 1 and 2, and to troll the living **** outta people online.

Also, Halo 3 did suck. Halo 1 and 2 were the best as many people have intelligently pointed out.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I have to point out that it's funny how whenever a sequel was made, the previous one sucked (null for H1 since it was the first).

When H2 came out, everyone claimed it sucked. No pistol, dual wielding was gay, grenades were gay, new sniper is hard to use so it's gay. etc.... H1 is TEH BEST EVAR

When H3 came out, everyone claimed it sucked. No Blood Gulch Remake, new sniper is hard to use so it sucks, BR takes more skill so it sucks, guardian sucks it's not lockout, lockout remake (blackout) sucks, etc. H2 WAS TEH BEST EVAR

ODST does NOT count! ODST was a simple campaign gimmick merely to promote the new maps on the map pack disc. Remember, H2 also made a map pack disc but this time Microsoft wanted more bang for the buck that people were spending on the maps.

Now that Reach is out... people already claims it sucks. New melee system is teh suck, sniper is harder to use so it sucks, cage sucks cause it's not guardian, *insert guardian remake here from the future* sucks, grenades suck, new melee system sucks, etc.... H3 WAS TEH BEST EVAR

Anyone else see this pattern? And I can definitely vouch for this on a 90% confidence interval lol, as I have been around since H1's launch. XD

D

Deleted member

People always do that. Its human nature to be reluctant to change.

Just ignore the people hating on the new game until you realize it sucks a year or two later. Then there will be no debate because you will know for sure that it does indeed suck. See Call of Duty for example.

Halo 3 sucks for reasons that go deeper than the immediate phobia of something new. The creators made a terrible campaign riddled with interruptions of acid tripping AI and parasites.

The multiplayer maps were sub par, new and out of place weapons were introduced such as the 2 useless grenade types, brute weapons, and the gravity hammer. They also made those items to use such as bubble shield and radar scrambler. Bungie lost sight of their focus and added in new content for the sake of new content which is stupid. They simply tried too hard.

Halo Reach seems to break this mold- classic and favorite Halo 2 maps were included, Blood Gulch/Coagulation is back, a revamped Halo 1 pistol appeared, BR, Assault Rifle, and Sniper were rebalanced, and dual wielding was abandoned.

Why the Grav hammer and the new Covenant beam rifle were included is beyond me however...

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
I have to point out that it's funny how whenever a sequel was made, the previous one sucked (null for H1 since it was the first).

When H2 came out, everyone claimed it sucked. No pistol, dual wielding was gay, grenades were gay, new sniper is hard to use so it's gay. etc.... H1 is TEH BEST EVAR

When H3 came out, everyone claimed it sucked. No Blood Gulch Remake, new sniper is hard to use so it sucks, BR takes more skill so it sucks, guardian sucks it's not lockout, lockout remake (blackout) sucks, etc. H2 WAS TEH BEST EVAR

ODST does NOT count! ODST was a simple campaign gimmick merely to promote the new maps on the map pack disc. Remember, H2 also made a map pack disc but this time Microsoft wanted more bang for the buck that people were spending on the maps.

Now that Reach is out... people already claims it sucks. New melee system is teh suck, sniper is harder to use so it sucks, cage sucks cause it's not guardian, *insert guardian remake here from the future* sucks, grenades suck, new melee system sucks, etc.... H3 WAS TEH BEST EVAR

Anyone else see this pattern? And I can definitely vouch for this on a 90% confidence interval lol, as I have been around since H1's launch. XD
LMAO and soooo true when it comes to sequels
Don't be hating on the gravity hammer Dr. pepper **** is mad funny:laugh:
Just waiting to get my funds so I can get my copy and whoop gerbil's *** XD

D

Deleted member

I just got the Halo:Reach OST and its pretty great. Its like a mix of Halo 1,2 and ODST's styles.

The gravity hammer is fun, but its a stupid weapon. The niche in multiplayer it was supposed to occupy is covered by the sword already. Now there's a splash damage, multi killing, vehicle stopping melee weapon with none of the weaknesses of the sword and relatively the same strengths.

X the Derp

Smash Apprentice
Well, so far, I think Reach tops H2 for best Halo, with is still being close enough for debating, however.

What about Halo Wars Gerbil?

D

Deleted member

yeah.... except its slow as balls lol
How slow you move with the hammer doesn't matter much when you're in close quarters inside a building or when you switch weapons to run faster.

That being said, you'll be camping corners and inside structures to use the hammer effectively and not running into the middle of Valhalla off the man cannon with it.

Player-3

Smash Hero
wtf you don't?

i must be playing this game wrong.

usually i take the hammer and jump into the side of a warthog

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Well, so far, I think Reach tops H2 for best Halo, with is still being close enough for debating, however.

What about Halo Wars Gerbil?
I'm not counting it because it wasn't a Bungie game and an entirely different style (RTS not FPS :) )

EDIT: Gravity Hammer was in H3. It had its uses and was still a fun weapon. I was playing today and the hammer didn't reduce my running speed and I can't recall what it did with H3 (didn't use it enough honestly).

We have to be optimistic here and accept everything first and then eliminate what we like and don't like as we learn more. Not auto blow up everything without giving it a shot lol.

Sometimes, I think when people talk negative about certain guns or types of situations, they've been rocked at it LOL.

X the Derp

Smash Apprentice
I know the one thing I hate the most: whenever I'm playing 2 Flag on Hemorrhage (Blood Gulch) and all but three of my teamates quit out on me.

So gay.

X the Derp

Smash Apprentice
Nope, only like 15 minutes I think, I remember seeing it on a loading screen.

And where have you been all day? Also, how's stuff been lately?

Top Bottom