• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hand related injuries

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I brought the topic up in the Fox thread but didn't really go into detail about it but I felt I should bring it to the Melee discussion since I'm sure a lot of people have been goin through this problem. But have any of you guys ever had any serious hand problems whether it be cramps or an uncomfortable feeling in any of your extremities?

I for one have that problem really bad I believe. I play an ultra technical Fox so the problem crept up on me faster than a lot of people. But for me I have this problem where whenever I extend my thumb or bend upwards, it wants to kinda stick in that position so reaction time in that thumb is really slow and I have to force it to do what I want it to do. I know that's probably a bad thing but when you play really fast you don't want to lose any of that by slowing down your game.

But here's a video of my hands showin off. If you notice, you can see my thumb doin this wierd *** thing when it hyper extends. I'm not intentionally doin that and it wants to stay like that a lot of times. So my question is anybody know what the problem could be? If you've had this problem before anyways of stopping it? If you have any sort of repetitive strain injuries and know ways of remedying the problem, please share because I'm fed up with not playing to my max potential with my Fox and I'm close to just quitting because that's how unbearable it is lol.

Absoltrainer

Smash Rookie
There was a casual SSBM booth at my school's fall fest, and it cost like 3 tickets to play, but winner got to stay for another game for free.

Well I was using Sheik/Samus and after about 2 1/2 hours of constant free games, I went to get a drink and my thumb felt like it was disconnected or something, I actually freaked out for a second, but then I just rested my hand and drank a soda and it went away in about 15 min.

Geist

Smash Master
lol just take more breaks. It's just the tendons in your hand freaking out. I don't think it can be anything more serious than carpel-tunnel, and that isn't carpel-tunnel.

lol I got a massive blister from moonwalking too much once.

joeplicate

Smash Master
Sometimes I'll grip the controller too hard and the third and fourth fingers on my left hand will start hurting from being bent for too long

My hands are pretty big, so I L-cancel with the very tip of my finger usually pressing straight down

I used to have a really bad habit of crushing my trigger button, which would make the tip of my finger very sore after playing a long time. I think it's gone now, though, I learned my lesson.

It used to be that my thumb got stiff/sore in the middle joint: I would hit Y with the tip of my finger and then bend it down and slide over to A, and it felt like I always had to crack it.

The more and more experience I've had with it though, is that you have to get used to your technique before you perfect it and it becomes totally comfortable, whether it's claw, which fingers you hit the triggers with, how you jump, etc.

Try to make your finger movements less pronounced; you don't have to crush the controller to be technical.

Bailey

Smash Hero
My hands have been MELEE CONDITIONED! I can play Through The Fire and The Flames on teh Expert as many times in a row without cramps!

Do I win life yet???

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
My hands have been MELEE CONDITIONED! I can play Through The Fire and The Flames on teh Expert as many times in a row without cramps!

Do I win life yet???
Yes, you do. I don't even know guitar hero like that, but I have heard legends about that song. Black Panther, if you are STILL having problems, I would just go see a doctor. Especially about that hyper-extension. Unless you are naturally double-jointed. So technical that it hurts, wow.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
How long have you had the pain without it going away?

also, this
Whoa, that thing was pretty cool. Unfortunately, it didn't help at all maybe I'm just not providing the symptoms that the checker understands. I don't really feel pain it just gets uncomfortable after a little bit. It's only in my thumb and as I bend it up and down now there's really no problem, it's when I start to play smash and I'm holding my controller and I start to play. If I do a certain movement with my thumb and I just so happen to extend my thumb, will want to extend more and just stay hyper extended like in my video. I wish I could go see a doctor but right now I'm uninsured lol xD.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
My right thumb is destroyed from 2 different hand injuries. The first one was from being stomped on the ground by some crazy bipolar guy, the second one was from riding a mechanical bull. The thumb is stiff and slow now, but I still manage to play melee. I have to use Ganon istead of technical characters like fox though...I may try to learn to use my fingers instead of my thumb

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Lol Im a Marth player but if I ever play Fox for like an hour straight my hands start to get mad sore. F*cking furry *ss ***** is to quick

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
you're pressing the buttons too hard. If you press the buttons lighter, your hand won't get as sore, and your movements will be faster and more precise.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
you're pressing the buttons too hard. If you press the buttons lighter, your hand won't get as sore, and your movements will be faster and more precise.
Hmmm, my roommate said the same thing, and my hands don't get sore. I don't know how to explain it but it's not a sore kind of thing they only get sore after hours and hours of playing like anyone's hands do. It's the feeling of you not having any control of your hand because of some nerve **** or somethin else I don't know but it's not a sore kind of feeling lol. If I said this to a doctor, he would be like wtf are you talkin about =/.

Geist

Smash Master
Sometimes if I hold my DS in an awkward position, I my thumb spazzes out and I can't bend it properly...
does it sound like the same thing?

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Yes and yes to both replies. It'll spaz for a bit when I'm doin certain movements then it'll want to stiffen up to that hyper extended position.

Geist

Smash Master
Oh ok then. I don't know EXACTLY what it is though, all I know it has something to do with finger tendons. Kind of like if you grip something for a straight minute and slowly open your hand, it feels almost paralyzed.
Not exactly the same, but I think you just have to find a more comfortable position, try to take small breaks in between, or relax your position.

computer(uber)

Smash Rookie

Do I win life yet???
not yet you need to post montage of you beating through the fire and flames on youtube in marth costume and yell
"show me your moves" to truly show that you're a winner in life

Top Bottom