• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest character To Master

KBM

Smash Ace
Olimar? Yarite, just look for the B and grab buttons on your controller. As long as you know where your C-stick is, you'll be fine.

I'd definitely say Diddy Kong is hard to master. You've gotta be CRAZY with those bananas. If you've ever watched a good Diddy play, it takes a serious amount of effort and timing.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
To master Yoshi you need to Master DR and DT, which are hard to due unless you were like a top melee player or have enough time or are focued enough to learn it.

You also need yoshi's CG's and some of them are quite hard, Also you need to pretty much change the way you would recover.

For a lot of chars it's DJ, Use a special.
Depending on your special whatever happens.

For Yoshi that 2nd jump is crucial, you can use it if your a risk taker, but to play it safe you pretty much always keep it in reserve.
To utilize Egg Toss for recovery....you've got to be top notch with Aerial Influence, otherwise Yoshi will basically just hover in the air... and not grab the ledge...I remember being so close to the ledge at one point egg toss'd and forgot to keep the AI, and I started dropping, I tried to save myself, but I didn't AI properly, I was too quick to Egg Toss again. Yoshi then died,

Well O.K maybe Yoshi isn't number 1. But he's pretty hard to master.

Some people will detest me for it....but MK isn't as hard, Im not a master MK, but he's quite easy to pick up, and many of his tech's aren't exceedingly hard. the IDC can be hard...to an extent, but basically for MK it's all about basics, knowing your spacing, getting your timing down, thats a master MK. Which is fine, but I don't feel he takes a huge amount of devotion to "master" him.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Really? because Olimar is the hardest to master for more info look at my post from before at least with ice climbers you get a two for one deal.

arch knight

Smash Lord
i would have to say meta. due to how it is hard to land a hard smash i mostly keep on someone long enough to do a sky cut or get an up smash in time however i cant stay on the ground for that long

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Oh yes, it's so difficult to spam one of those laggy dsmashes on Meta Knight. I know exactly what you're talking about. I can never get any attacks in with meta Knight because he's so slow. he's bottom tier material.

On the other hand, Ganondorf's a speed demon. His amazing recovery and gimping make him master of the air and his attacks come out lightning quick, especially the neutral B.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Meta Knight hands down. I'm being dead serious here. Dead.

Smash Master
Really? because Olimar is the hardest to master for more info look at my post from before at least with ice climbers you get a two for one deal.
Having to manage two characters is very difficult. The CG's vary by character and by percent, so they are very hard.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'd say Diddy and Wario.

Both of them have a rather hectical gameplay and both have pretty random moves. Although both of them are pretty good characters (specially Wario), their weaknesses can be humiliating at times, and be deadly for people who don't know how to use them properly (e.g. Wario's insane recovery needs to be trained, his actual recovery move, Corkscrew, is beyond useless).

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Ice Climbers. All that desynching, infinites & chain grabs on each character, their Squall timing for a very high vertical recovery (especially online), and more.

KBM

Smash Ace
Yeah the Ice Climbers can be pretty rough to master.

I'd still say Diddy though, because you have to get used to his vertical recovery, you have to be on the MONEY with glide tossing the nanners, and his lack of kill moves forces you to rely on gimping skills most of the time.

Even if you dont think Diddy is the hardest to master, you've gotta admit, he's technical as hell.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Definetly Ice climbers. If you see the way a pro ice climber uses the grabs, its unbelievable. I still dont even know how they do those crazy ChainGrabs.

Next would be diddy. His bananas are hard to use without tripping on them yourself. Plus diddy ditto's are WAY too hard. I tried one one time and i found myself tripping everywhere i went.

No, olimar is not that hard to master, I became good with him in a few days.

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
Havn't you realised yet? There are no "hard to master" characters. Everyone thinks characters are "hard to master" because they're either to light, slow, weak at attacking. This thread is pointless. There are no hard to master characters is the real answer!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Havn't you realised yet? There are no "hard to master" characters. Everyone thinks characters are "hard to master" because they're either to light, slow, weak at attacking. This thread is pointless. There are no hard to master characters is the real answer!
lol what are you talking about

no one has even "mastered" any characters

except for maybe mew2king and azen lolz

LoZ4EVER!

Smash Rookie
I have to agree that there are no "hard to master" characters but that doesn't mean you can be pro with every single one on the first try either. Every character was put in the game for one reason or another and each one has its own perks to playing, but being able to play them effectively is the hardest part. It's all a matter of how much time you spend playing as certain characters and then finding out certain tactics that can put any opponent in a bad spot.

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
I think you're missing something, the type of pikmin in his line DO matter, All of his attacks are based around which pikmin are used, some are better for spiking (reds) some are better for dealing damage (yellows/whites when latched), some are better for grabbing (blues/purples) some have better knockback (blues/purples), some are better for arials (reds/yellows) and some are better for pikmin chain (purples/whites), his pikmin line is a big part of his play. And you have to figure out how to use them and how to deal with what pikmin you have.
This cannot be any more true, an Olimar with pure electric pikmin would be torture, along with pure poison. Also, lets not forget those who could do Olimar target smash level 3 under 19 seconds, how hard THAT is!

mc4

Smash Journeyman
ice climbers easy. Try learning their chain grabs and what seem to be countless possibilities with their chain grabs. Then learning how to use them out of sync incorporating at's and any current ic glitches or dittos. Olimar is tough but what makes him tough in my opinion is know what pikmin are best for what and using each one for what it specializes in a given situation...

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Olimar and Ice Climbers I would say.

I only really main 3 characters. Meta Knight was easy to get the hang of and easy to master. Fox was easy as well, since I mained him during my days as a competitive Melee player. So Fox felt natural for me and I mastered him pretty quickly. Wolf took a bit of time, and I didn't like him at first, but I needed to pick up a second main (And Wolf seemed like a cool character) after Mewtwo (My other main during my days as a competitive Melee player) was booted from Brawl. Wolf took some work to get used to, but I eventually feel like I "mastered" him.

I spent a bit of time playing as Toon Link. I still don't feel like he would be a viable tournament character for me. I'll just have to stick to MK, Wolf, and Fox for tournaments. I'm planning on working on Falco, I'll have to see how that goes.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I see olimar and ice climbers being discussed quite a lot, and i personally love these characters, but hard to master?
Ice climbers grab combos are surprisingly easy, i practiced about an hour on a marth to get the timin for that weight, then practiced 4 another hour on different weighted characters. After tht, all u need to do is grab ur opponent.
As for olimar, you the main thing you need to overcome is the recovery. You need to order your pikmin so u can throw purple at edgeguarders or fair them off so u can recover. Apart from that, general groundplay seems to come quite naturally to me since im incredibly defensive in playstyle

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The three characters I STILL HAVENT mastered:

Metaknight, Pokemon Trainer (I got squirtle down :/ ), and ROB.

I know they're mindless characters but when I use them it just feels so unnatural ;_;

Tamoo

Smash Master
I know exactly what u mean, everyone says ROB and mk are easy 2 master, but they just dont seem to fit my playstyle at all. It really does feel unnatural when im playin as them

Top Bottom