• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest player to Master?

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
I think it's a toss up between ROB and PokeTrainer but who do you think is the hardest to main and master their techs.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Snake and olimar.

Rob has this crazy infinite recovery...why is he hard to master again?

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna say Olimar and Sonic. Olimar has so much depth and variation to his character. Using different pikmin in different situations, knowing how to line them up and when to use who and keeping them alive to grow and such. Sonic is just fast, from what i have heard he is hard to play and has a huge learning curve. As people get better i think he could be amazing, but it's gonna be hard for people to master him.

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
I'd say Olimar, simply becase, from what i've seen, he looks like a hard character to play. There are so many variables to his gameplay, but once people get the hang of him, i see him being right up there in the ranks, which is why he's gonna be one of my mains.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Probably mew2king fox. its crazy.
but if your talking about characters idk yet because i do not own brawl yet.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Before I start, I just want to say that this list is not in terms of 'mastery', because we're just scratching the surface of the metagame. Most people will still be attempting to use Melee techniques, with epic fail as result (ever seen someone attempting to WD in Brawl?). This list rather is based on the game as we've seen it so far.

I haven't played, but from what I've seen my list is as follows:

1. Olimar: You really have to know how to conserve your Pikmin. The leveling thing (leaf, bud, flower) could really come into play as far as speed/power of attacks. Order is important too, as is exploiting any possible elemental weakness/resistance.

2. R.O.B.: Killer aerials, but moderate lag and telegraphing accompany. As seen, d-air is a great edge-guarding tool and can be used by itself or in conjunction with b-air multiple times (and safely too, thanks to insane recovery. Does anyone have a video showing exactly how high that goes/how many times it can be used, btw?)

3. Snake: HIGHLY unorthodox. Smashes, B-moves, and FS are explosives with setup time, esp. the mine, so playing Snake requires possibly the most inderect offensive playing in the game, coupled with an acute awareness of your surroundings and ability to correctly time moves in advance. When used properly (see PsychoMidget vids), he can control the field.

$. Sonic: He's just TOO FAST. Most n00bs at the tourneys, if Sonic is unlocked (probably won't be since everyone will likely be req'd to use starting roster), will throw themselves off the edge with great haste. His attacks are good and have combo potential, but actually staying in control is key.

There could be others but that's all that jumps out at me at the moment.

Dither

Smash Apprentice
Both Olimar and Trainer can be played pretty traditionally. Despite the supposed stamina, Trainer can be played as just Charizard, or just Squirtle, if you want. Switching up is almost always a liability in battle.

Olimar is a bit more unique, but even if you ignore the order of your pikmin, and just chuck them and use smashes, you can play pretty well.

Out of the characters that are difficult to master, I'd have to say Sonic or Snake are the hardest to master. Two of my friends are good Sonic players, but they play differently to every other character. Snake is also different, as you have to have space awareness to play him - remember where thngs go and such.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Before I start, I just want to say that this list is not in terms of 'mastery', because we're just scratching the surface of the metagame. Most people will still be attempting to use Melee techniques, with epic fail as result (ever seen someone attempting to WD in Brawl?). This list rather is based on the game as we've seen it so far.

I haven't played, but from what I've seen my list is as follows:

1. Olimar: You really have to know how to conserve your Pikmin. The leveling thing (leaf, bud, flower) could really come into play as far as speed/power of attacks. Order is important too, as is exploiting any possible elemental weakness/resistance.

2. R.O.B.: Killer aerials, but moderate lag and telegraphing accompany. As seen, d-air is a great edge-guarding tool and can be used by itself or in conjunction with b-air multiple times (and safely too, thanks to insane recovery. Does anyone have a video showing exactly how high that goes/how many times it can be used, btw?)

3. Snake: HIGHLY unorthodox. Smashes, B-moves, and FS are explosives with setup time, esp. the mine, so playing Snake requires possibly the most inderect offensive playing in the game, coupled with an acute awareness of your surroundings and ability to correctly time moves in advance. When used properly (see PsychoMidget vids), he can control the field.

$. Sonic: He's just TOO FAST. Most n00bs at the tourneys, if Sonic is unlocked (probably won't be since everyone will likely be req'd to use starting roster), will throw themselves off the edge with great haste. His attacks are good and have combo potential, but actually staying in control is key.

There could be others but that's all that jumps out at me at the moment.
QFT, but I would add one more. Pokemon Trainer needs to learn how to control three different characters, each with different playstyles. The difficulty here doesn't so much come from unorthodox playstyles like the above four, but obtaining complete mastery of three different characters, each with varying speed, weight, and attacks.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
QFT, but I would add one more. Pokemon Trainer needs to learn how to control three different characters, each with different playstyles. The difficulty here doesn't so much come from unorthodox playstyles like the above four, but obtaining complete mastery of three different characters, each with varying speed, weight, and attacks.
True. I hadn't given PT much thought, since I'm focusing on developing strategies for the GS tourney. Since the matches are 1 min. time matches, I had merely assumed most people would use Squirtle since transforming leaves you WIDE open to attack and Ivysaur's recovery can be gimped so very much. (see v3x?'s thread with the stage6 videos, he does it to PT in a few of them)

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Ice climbers may not be new but they're still quite unorthadox compared to other characters.

And Olimar as well, each attack may have 5 different properties.

KaosAssassin

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon Trainer, because you have to master 3 different characters in order to use him properly, and you also have to know good times to switch out

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Olimar- nuff said.... Sonic-control and KO moves need to me mastered..... Ganondorf- Because it's a whole new ball game with him now(sad).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm... judging by what Ive seen...

I'd say:

1. Snake
2. ROB
3. Sonic. He could be good, but he's difficult to control it seems.

I thought it Olimar would be up there, but surprisingly, he doesnt look as tough as I thought he might be.

Hoping for a challenge in maining him however.

FoolyCoolyGamer

Smash Cadet
Well for sure it would be Olimar since most if not all of his moves require Pikmin, and each different Pikmin having a different ability at that. Knowing the order in which the Pikmin are and how to use them is going to be key in staying alive in matches.

Pokemon Trainer will probably require the most finesse since there are 3 characters to juggle with. Charizard is strong, but he's slow and some of his moves lack range. Ivysaur's vines have good reach, but his attacks require some time and thinking to use, since he isn't the balanced of characters. Squirtle is very fast and great to juggle and confuse the enemy with, but can be sent back pretty easily though. This, coupled with choosing the right pokemon for the right situation takes great effort.

X Megadragon

Smash Cadet
It takes a lot of work to be anywhere decent as a Samus than it is to be a Marth or Peach. <.< [/rant]

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Sonic, Snake, Olimar, and Pokemon Trainer, in that order.

I'm not really sure what seems so hard about ROB...

Grodus5

Smash Rookie
Olimar. Period. From what I've seen about the game, nobody else even comes close. He is just so different, he would be next to impossible to "pick up and play." He seems like his own little RTS, you need to micromanage your Pikman, else you fail.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
IMO, defiantly Olimar. He's got a lot of depth and a backlog of information you need to know before even starting to play him. And by the way, keeping your pikmin until they're flowers is impressive, but other than cosmetics, it doesn't do anything.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
I 'll be the first to say Lucario. The fact that he gets stronger as he takes damage brings interesting characteristics to his gameplay. Combos will never string together the same, to add to everything, he's got those psychic attacks that can throw you off even more.

I'm sure Sonic and Olimar will be difficult as well though.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
How can you know how hard it is to master a character if they have yet to be mastered...?
but anyway, I've heard people say that Sonic is.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is the hardest i believe. i mean. he's super fast. his aerial attacks are quite slow. and his special moves are a bit difficult to use to your advantage. but then again the game isn't out yet so... we don't know for sure who rly is hardest to master. although Olimar looks like hes a handful...

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
I dont play with techs....is that what makes a characer hard to main?
I use wavedashing occasionally, but not when i play to win

Gaddswell

Smash Cadet
I think it would be:

1. Yoshi - All sorts of quirks that need getting used to.
2. Ice Climbers - Managing Nana (De-sync, keeping Nana alive)
3. Olimar - Pikmin management

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
I dont play with techs....is that what makes a characer hard to main?
I use wavedashing occasionally, but not when i play to win
where on earth did you think people where talking about avd. tech?
were talking about which char. require the biggest learning curve!!

i believe PT , olimar, and sonic . someone stated they think pt can be played
with only one pokemon. there dead wrong. when a pokemon gets tired
their attack damage and knockback is decreased. To be a good PT main
you need to be good with all 3 pokemon.

Top Bottom