• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Hardest Temple/Dungeon in the LoZ Series?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The Water Temple's easier on the 3DS? Guess I should go try it out sometime.
I dunno, I think they're both just as difficult. The reason it seems easier is because we've played the Water Temple enough to the point where we already know what to do. That, and the camera pans to a hidden entryway in the center room of the dungeon once the water level rises, which would otherwise almost always be overlooked by first-timers.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
forest temple, water and the majora's ones. They just arruined my love for TLoZ for some time each game.
Zelda II for hardest game ever

btw, thanks for the spoiler about the last temple on Skyward, I didn't play SS yet

I move my vote to the Eagle's Tower in Link's Awakening. Its an artificial difficulty because its a confusing puzzle. But I have not played the game in ages, so I might be making out worse than it actually is.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
all were easy

but the Sky temple from twilight was pretty awesome

never got stuck in water temple i guess i just got lucky first time since i hear its easy to get stuck cuz game developers ****ed something up

what exactly was wrong with water temple in ocarina?

also what are the best zeldas, are oracle of seasons and ages worth playing?

what about zelda hacks? which are the best?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm surprised people found Forsaken Fortress hard. The only bad part is if you attempt to sidle across the wall without disabling the third searchlight, because it is kinda out of the way.

The moblins were easier than the guards in OoT because you never had to move to be safe. Whereas if you just stood still in OoT they'd eventually see you. Also the Moblins give you a warning if you move when you're too close to them.

Forsaken Fortress was cool though. The second plauthrough was fun, and it was cool to fool around there once it was empty, especially at day-time.

I hated the Temple of the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass, so much so that it turned me off the game. It would have competed with WW for my favourite game otherwise.

:phone:

@M2K: I would prefer the Oracle of Seasons/Ages over any of the DS titles or the Minish Cap for the GBA. OsS/A is pretty much Link's Awakening only with exceptions to a few item, dungeon, etc changes. So if you played any of those, I think you would find these much better.

The only reason I saw the water temple was pretty bad was because without knowing the most direct route, you end up retracing your steps. In order to get to the longshot, you have to collect 3 keys spread out through the dungeon. First off, you wander around trying to figure out what location the keys are in. When you do find what area you should go to you realize you have to adjust the water levels and go through an annoying tour of the dungeon to do so. Multiple times if you not smart about checking your locations. After getting the the long shot, you need another 2-3 keys and collect the boss key before you can finally finish the whole thing. To top it off, you have to keep putting and pulling off the iron boots.

So its more of an annoying dungeon rather than being hard.

I did not know of any hacks really other than ones for the easier to hack games: nes, snes, gba, or gbc.

@Dre.: Forsaken fortress is just another one of those annoying dungeons. If you do move, then the guard stops moving and you have to wait even LONGER before you can finish up the dungeon. I found it annoying because you have to wander around the place until you get to the right route, then realize you have to go and remove the spot light to prevent being attacked. Although, I have managed to get across without being attacked. It was only once though.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The Fortress's route is actually quite linear and not hard to find. The easiest way to get on route is to go outside and go through a door that has a flame on top of it. From there you can always just go forward and you're sweet.

It's pretty hard to miss the first two searchlights, and you're clued in to their significance by having to use the barrel to get past one at the start.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Great Bay Temple was pretty hard to figure out, although I guess MM as a whole was pretty difficult in the sense that there's some stuff you just gotta know. I can usually get through the first part just fine, but everything else? Yeah, I needed a walkthrough.

Also, I think the palaces in Zelda II are probably some of the worst in physical difficulty, though I can only imagine that much, since I've only beaten the first palace.

Chico113

Smash Apprentice
not sure about all the fuss for water temple. just visit the rooms you haven't been in????
great bay temple was a bit tricky, but as soon as i got my groove on i was able to complete the temple without any problems.
i'll just skip over to 2d dungeons since 3d ones have been done to death

face shrine

jabu jabu's belly

mermaid's cave

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The water Temple can be hard as hell if ya don't know how to use Farore's Wind and ya didn't pick up whatever that thing was at Jabu Jabu's place. (Was it the Water Tunic? I can't even remember? I think it allowed you to breathe underwater. Not that ya needed it cause he could hold his breath for like 5 minutes)

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
The water Temple can be hard as hell if ya don't know how to use Farore's Wind and ya didn't pick up whatever that thing was at Jabu Jabu's place. (Was it the Water Tunic? I can't even remember? I think it allowed you to breathe underwater. Not that ya needed it cause he could hold his breath for like 5 minutes)
The amount of time Link can hold his breath is based off of how many hearts you have. So the more you have, the longer you can hold your breath underwater. ( I don't remember the exact time for each amount of hearts.)

Diversity

Smash Rookie
Hardest 3D dungeon was definitely either Water Temple from Ocarina or Great Bay from Majora. The top 5 hardest dungeons in general though are most likely all from the first two games. Especially the second game.

Cleod

Smash Cadet
Stone Tower Temple. The overall lay out and puzzles is twice the complexity of the Water Temple. The mere mention that you can flip the entire temple upside down is mind numbing alone.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
sky temple from tp, or tower of the gods wind waker
Guess you haven't played the older Zelda games. Named temples are pretty fun and well made, imo. Can't recall I had any problems with them...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
LoZ Level 5/6? and OoT Forest Temple are a pain. 6 Wizzrobes in one, so many doors and Card Key kinds of things and hard-to-find chests in the other.

Special Mention to The Great Bay Temple.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm actually pretty stuck in the MQ version of Water Temple. I'm probably missing something obvious/dumb but it's been stumping me for several months now lol. I can do the original version with my eyes closed but I never played MQ before and it's just ****in with me.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
@OVE I had no problems with ANY of the other/older LOZ temples :)
That doesn't make any sense, but I guess we are all different from each other, lol. WW is easy mode, for instance. Maybe it is because it's one of my all time favourite games. The temple of gods was really fun with some great puzzles. Also, doing the boss without L-lock is so exciting :D

To be honest, I don't really remember sky temple in TP. Was it that temple with Ooccoo the human chicken? Maybe I should have another go. I didn't really like that game initially, but I think I like it more now if I give it another try.

LoZ had one temple that bugged me, I think it was number 6 (I didn't do them in the correct order, so I don't remember), the one with all the Wizzrobes. Other than that, that game wasn't too bad.

Zelda II, on the other hand... That's a difficult game with very tedious temples! And I lost all motivation after a game over when you have much experience XD

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
@Ove this is how i see it: some temples in LOZ and Zelda II were hard, i played this two 15 years ago
so i didn't remember a thing about them, but this year i played them again and they seemed to me that they're more tedious(like you said) than difficult (gameplay limatations or whatever), on the other hand twilight princess's sky temple is both tedious and difficult (very long too), i didn't like the game that much though lol

totally agree with you Loz's number 6 was a pain in the *** xD

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I suppose you are right. The poor battle system (short sword range, for instance) made the temples harder than they should be.

However, can you please elaborate your opinions about Sky Temple; what specifically made it difficult? I can't remember that temple!

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
@Ove obserbation is extemely important in this temple, hidden clawshot points everywhere, some rooms of certain levels have no floor (easy to lose track and get lost, using only the clawshot for a long time), there is one part where you have use your claws to hang from some fliyng things(don't remember their name lol) in order to get your chain to pass through a crack in a wall (it's hard to get very graphic this way XD)..besides of the two hidden pieces of hearts, and three poe souls. you also have to transform into wolf several times late in the tample. seriously, very long, tedious, but also amazing temple, at least in my opinion :). One of the few challenging things in the game
this temple's boss is one of my favorites :)

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I can't remember the boss either :( I recall it was an epic dragon, or something like that. You had to use your claw-shot, I presume?

TP had some rellay good Boss Battles and temples, imo. But other than that, the game didn't impress on me much. Something didn't feel right with Hyrule... I don't know, maybe I am too used with great landscapes from the other Zelda games?

Also, the Wolf felt like a gimmick.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yes, you are correct, it was a dragon called Argorok; and the double-claw shot was used to reach it in the sky, and also to make it come crashing to the ground by attaching to its tail whilst having the iron boots equipped. It was definitely my favorite boss in the game next to the other dragon in Arbiter's Grounds, Stallord.

I think the main gripe people had with TP's Hyrule Field was that, even though it was giant and magnificent, it was literally completely barren, empty, and there wasn't much of anything to do. Lots of space gone to waste.

:phone:

Top Bottom