• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has the new tierlist changed your perception on game balance?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Like, since there is no bottom tier this time around (which I found weird immediately), and we have so many characters in the Top & High tier instead of the 2-5 like in the previous installments, I wonder if that's proof enough to feel that more-or-less this game is balanced? I say more-or-less because no fighting game can be perfectly balanced. Perfect balance among characters does not exsist. Like tires (JOKE).

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Well you gotta remember this is the first tier list of brawl, it can easily spread out soon...

As for balance, it changed my opinion just a little on the balance, but it still has that little obvious nudge to the top tier still.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
You forget that MetaKnight and Snake are in a tier of their own in how extremely popular they are.

Fox, Marth, and Sheik were top tier, but that doesn't at all discount the fact that Falco, Falcon, Peach, Samus, etc were all almost just as good.

Take for example Shades of Falco -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vHxXE6VmJE

DaShizWiz completely ***** in that combo video.

In Melee, the characters who were good had a relatively small difference in potential. When compared to Brawl, there's a huge gap in ability between Top Tier and High-Tier. That won't change either because Brawl is completely based on character specific ATs. Melee had a smother transition between tiers because comboing was possible between characters in Top and High Tier and ATs were globally present to all characters and not character specific.

Also take for example there were many numerous people who were incredibly good at Melee bottom tier characters. Gimpyfish comes to mind and was an excellent Bowser player and t!mmy and tommy were excellent Pichu players. I don't think any one Captain Falcon main has arisen in Brawl and claimed numerous wins in tournaments as of yet.

In Melee, bottom tier was viable. It's hard to consider Brawl Captain Falcon viable since he's at bottom of the bottom.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Tiers never changed my perception in the first place. Yoshi always owned, and Yoshi always will own.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Tiers changed my perception of Melee in general because I was a noob back then. The new list was pretty much what I expected, or at least had no real surprises in it.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
The larger your character roster becomes, the more likely you are going to see -massive- gaps in character quality. If you remember the first Melee tier list, it has a larger top tier than later incarnations, because over time characters began to simply seperate themselves out more distinctly. In Brawl, right now there isn't that developed gap yet(especially when you take into account that most of those tournament placings for Metaknight are just M2K and other top players who would probably **** with just about any other character). As the metagame progresses, the tiers will probably be seperated to reflect any signifigant seperations amongst the cast in ability to win tournaments.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
This thread taught me Yoshi mainers are faithful.

@Topic, not really
I kinda had a vague idea of where very character was going to go, so it doesnt change it for me.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The tier list doesn't change my perspective. I disagree with the backroom, and think that Metaknight, and possibly Snake, should be in their own Tier, the middle Tier should actually be a little larger, and that Marth should be in the same tier as R.O.B., Falco, G&W, and D3.

I think the ordering is accurate or close, but I do also believe that the division of the tiers is where the problem lies, because it does not adequately show the power gaps, and balance gaps.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
We;;, the tier list was kind of "duh" from the moment I joined this board, so no.
QFT

I Joined a month before you, and the only different things were that DK is high tier and MK is at the top, and DDD got 3rd(before he was 7th).

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
A little, but nothing to the point of overly changing my mains completely. What I have is what I have.

P a i n

Smash Cadet
Falcon suprised me as the bottom of the bottom, and I would have put Marth higher or go with what pierc7d said. Other than that it wasn't too much of a suprise.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
It was a bad tier list. Ganondorf should be last, Cpt.Falcon is a little bit better and Ganondorf is not better than Link. I was surprised when I saw Link that low.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The tier list is exceptionally accurate. It did not change my views, rather it reinforced them.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
You forget that MetaKnight and Snake are in a tier of their own in how extremely popular they are.

Fox, Marth, and Sheik were top tier, but that doesn't at all discount the fact that Falco, Falcon, Peach, Samus, etc were all almost just as good.

Take for example Shades of Falco -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vHxXE6VmJE

DaShizWiz completely ***** in that combo video.

In Melee, the characters who were good had a relatively small difference in potential. When compared to Brawl, there's a huge gap in ability between Top Tier and High-Tier. That won't change either because Brawl is completely based on character specific ATs. Melee had a smother transition between tiers because comboing was possible between characters in Top and High Tier and ATs were globally present to all characters and not character specific.

Also take for example there were many numerous people who were incredibly good at Melee bottom tier characters. Gimpyfish comes to mind and was an excellent Bowser player and t!mmy and tommy were excellent Pichu players. I don't think any one Captain Falcon main has arisen in Brawl and claimed numerous wins in tournaments as of yet.

In Melee, bottom tier was viable. It's hard to consider Brawl Captain Falcon viable since he's at bottom of the bottom.
That's right. Captain Falcon is 100% inviable. He doesn't ever win a match. Even if you just put down your controller CF will lose. That's why I use him.

No, seriously. Just get good with whomever you like. Don't be a tier chaser. That is why there are so many MK players.:p

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
SmashBrother2008 said:
No, seriously. Just get good with whomever you like. Don't be a tier chaser. That is why there are so many MK players.
Well technically, everybody mained him before the list came out anyway.

The list hasn't changed my perception of the balance. I think it is almost entirely accurate. Just because there's no bottom tier doesn't mean there's no bad characters.

Johnny_C

Smash Cadet
Tiers are a help to describe the abbilities of the characters compared to others, So you can have an idea of how to behave gainst the foe. Not a list to tell you who to choose. So nah, I dont take tier list too seriously, and no, My perceptions is the same.

Roihu

Smash Ace
No, it hasn't.
When you compare Captain Falcon to anyone else, you certainly see it doesn't have balance. I didn't need a tier list to tell me that.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Well you gotta remember this is the first tier list of brawl, it can easily spread out soon...
QFT.

In Melee, Sheik was top tier for a very long time. The first time she was ever taken out of top tier was the most recent list I believe.

More on topic, as the months go on the tier list will be updated and maybe they'll add another group.

That's what they did with Melee I think.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
It was a bad tier list. Ganondorf should be last, Cpt.Falcon is a little bit better and Ganondorf is not better than Link. I was surprised when I saw Link that low.
Yeah, it should have ended as;

Low
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon

Bad
Sandbag

And there you have it, boys and girls! The true bottom tier!

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Didn't change my opinion on balance, not one bit.

However, it changed my opinion on how I structred my tier list; this list, despite all of the critical acclaims, is actually extremely accurate.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
We pretty much knew about Brawl's suposed "balance" before the tier list was published. It doesn't change my opinion. MK and Snake are nearly(if not) broken, and people like Link were put down.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
first off way too many top/high tiers, second there is no way bowser is mid tier while ness is low tier. ness is 10 times better and there is no way lucario and DK are high tier, they suck!! im not liking this tier list

Ace55

Smash Lord
first off way too many top/high tiers, second there is no way bowser is mid tier while ness is low tier. ness is 10 times better and there is no way lucario and DK are high tier, they suck!! im not liking this tier list
Wrong thread, wrong opinion.

On topic:

I already knew Brawl was poorly balanced, this didn't change my opinion.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I'm thinking Snake and MK deserved their own tier. Or at least MK does. His tournament results are far and away greater than even Snake.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman

On topic:

No, Brawl is more balanced than melee. The main reason MK and Snakes are winning so much is because of the amount of people that use them. At the last tourny I went to about one third were either MK or Snake. A lot of these things don't have to do so much with the matchups as how many people use them/potential.

The only thing I don't agree with is that the tiers are too big. Not enough people in medium, too much in top, high, and low.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
No, Brawl is more balanced than melee. The main reason MK and Snakes are winning so much is because of the amount of people that use them. At the last tourny I went to about one third were either MK or Snake. A lot of these things don't have to do so much with the matchups as how many people use them/potential.

The only thing I don't agree with is that the tiers are too big. Not enough people in medium, too much in top, high, and low.
Yeah, it's a raging circle of "use high, make'em higher". I actually used to enjoy smash before I joined this community.

Roihu

Smash Ace

On topic:

There is no such thing as a wrong opinion. Just opinions people don't like. =\

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Bowser really didn't change in terms of tier placement, so in short, I don't give a **** about tiers!

iLink

Smash Champion
Wrong opinion is wrong.

Bowser's position is mainly kept by his flying slam

DK has good KO ability and range along with decent priority

Lucario is just Lucario.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Bowser really didn't change in terms of tier placement, so in short, I don't give a **** about tiers!
me to but i hate when i see errors with characters that shouldnt be where they are now
ie. marth > than Wario = no; Marth cant play against projectiles wario can deal better i havent gotten any good reason for marth being where she is

Top Bottom