• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have we Prepared?

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Ok guys I don't know if you guys even respect me since my last post but whatever...But listen all. We all need to come together and think of ways to help eachother in terms of our metagame and play styles because it seems that other Ikes don't know how to play him properly I know that we have the critique thread and all but what are we to do about this problem. Ryko, Ren, San, Kimchi, Kirk and all of the other Ikes we need to rep up Ike harder then we ever have. Even if you guys don't see me as a good Ike please just listen we need to put together something more for the viewers. We have grown respected and known all around. Ryko I ask you a favor ok here in florida there is a tourney in December and I need you to help me with a project I need you to help us create another video of all the Ikes again but this time we need to show everyone more of what we can throw to the table. All of the other Ikes we need to put out more vids of sets, matches, even friendlies to give other Ikes an insight from us what it takes to improve. Posts that include how to make Ike faster thing we need to put together how to play Ike better video for others to show them the mechanics of him and what moves suit for which situations. We can bring Ike up on the Tier list if we all work at it together we can't just have one set of Ikes just rep up for us we have what it takes guys...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
1) The enter button. For crying out loud use it.

2) What you said is basically what the whole enter board does, but a lot more organized then you are suggesting. We have a video topic. We have TWO match-up topics/discussions. Ashurna Library is for asking things. We have one full write up about Ike, and working on a second better one. We have a wifi topic. You don't put EVERYONE into an Ike board video. Only the good ones. I've seen one video of you, I highly doubt you would have made it.

3) Tell your friend he sucks at trying to prove your good. Dude couldn't even provide a single tournament placing in that long PM flame war he started with me that only ended a few days ago when I put him onto ignore list until he could post results. Absolutely pathetic. Kept crying about how he didn't know how to navigate smashboards and how everyone here sucks. All he did was go BAWWWWWWWWWWW, cuss, and gave me the one video I mentioned above.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
guys like I said I don't give a **** what you think of me I really don't if in your standards I don't belong thats fine. and yea we have all this **** and even if I don't make the cut to you guys thats fine be the reps for it. I dont want anyone to look and laugh at the other ikes and be like thats how all the other ikes are I dont get that at all. they see me as one of the best....even Ren said so...so your words can revolve around whatever you like but I still consider myself what I am.

Palpi

Smash Hero
You are definetely a high level ike :)

Yo, Ryo. I will help you in this quest, I will go straight Ike in the philly bi-weeklies with MK banned.

Niddo please stop acting like you are superior to him. He is much better than you and his Ike is probably top 10...maybe.

I wish Kimchi could goto more tournies :(

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
1) The enter button. For crying out loud use it.
Quoted for emphasis. Seriously, your post is almost unreadable dude.

Maybe before you go on about how you're as good as Ryko, Ren, San, Kimchi and Kirk, and how you, along with them, need to rally the rest of us scrubs, maybe you should show us some vids of yourself playing and let Metroid and Palpi have a look. You may not give a **** what they think or say about you... but I think it may be time you swallowed your enormous ego for a moment and started giving a ****.

:034:

Palpi

Smash Hero
He isn't really being that pompous. He came in and made a thread and everyone flamed him. He is very good, he has a lot of videos vs Red Halberd's assortment of characters. (RedHalberd is a top 3 player in florida and a top MK internationally.)

Though his old thread was a tad over the top, he said how he felt.

He never said he was as good as those people, but I wouldn't disagree, maybe he is a little worse, but he definitely knows what he is talking about.

From the videos I have seen Ryo, a bit too much FF B-airs, but they do work sometimes. :chuckle:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Palpi said:
He came in and made a thread and everyone flamed him.
Well what do you expect with an OP as disorganized and ignorant as that. He makes it sound like we have no videos of Ike playing at all and that there are only like six Ikes who attend tournaments.

@Ryo: You sound like an intelligent person, so please type like it. This isn't live chat, you can take as long as you want to make sure your post looks good.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
fine guys thanks...but what we need to do is to present a new kind of Ike. Our Ikes are excellent but there has to be something for certain match ups. such as Metaknight, Snake and D3.

Tips Vids that exploit weakness. I will put up more vids of me playing and I want to work on my vids to point out good points to attack through the tougher match ups because I've seen so many vids of top tier characters where they are most open for punish.

Do I really need to prove myself? guys honestly.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Palpi. I never once said I was better. In fact I've stated multiple times I'm the worse Ike on the board. But at least my posts are actually readable. In fact, I still haven't read it all, as I've been staring at a computer screen all day due to homework, so my eyes can't focused on a wall of text well.

And I saw the video against the MK. He was alright/good. Not terrible like me, but not amazing either. It appeared to me that the MK had made a lot of mistakes, which was a big factor in Ryo winning. Still don't make the match-up only 4-6 or what ever it was he put it at.

I might also add top 10 isn't hard to make with Ike. We're lucky if we have 15 Ikes who go to tournaments. >_>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
just wait till bored sees this lol
****, I can't believe this guy had the nerve to come in and ****in ***** about how much of the **** he is in and talk like he is the ****. **** didn't even put me in the list of Ike's mentioned. Everyone should know how good and awesome I am (RoK STATUS).

Ok guys I don't know if you guys even respect me since my last post but whatever...But listen all. We all need to come together and think of ways to help eachother in terms of our metagame and play styles because it seems that other Ikes don't know how to play him properly I know that we have the critique thread and all but what are we to do about this problem. Ryko, Ren, San, Kimchi, Kirk and all of the other Ikes we need to rep up Ike harder then we ever have. Even if you guys don't see me as a good Ike please just listen we need to put together something more for the viewers. We have grown respected and known all around. Ryko I ask you a favor ok here in florida there is a tourney in December and I need you to help me with a project I need you to help us create another video of all the Ikes again but this time we need to show everyone more of what we can throw to the table. All of the other Ikes we need to put out more vids of sets, matches, even friendlies to give other Ikes an insight from us what it takes to improve. Posts that include how to make Ike faster thing we need to put together how to play Ike better video for others to show them the mechanics of him and what moves suit for which situations. We can bring Ike up on the Tier list if we all work at it together we can't just have one set of Ikes just rep up for us we have what it takes guys...
I'll agree with Niddo, I've been doing hw all the day and seeing this wall of text isn't exactly easy on the eyes. I however, was able to summon up the courage and read your statement.

For an Ike player to learn a match up, watching videos isn't everything. You actually have to go and gain experience. It's a 2 way street. We can't control the amount of commitment one pours into their metagame.

Yes, we do have the usual Ike's reppin out there. Obviously, the ones who are most known for reppin are the ones who are most popular. Skill and popularity can go hand in hand, but in any case, we fail to take notice of the Ike players who do rep him...just not as good.

And what do you mean of making a video that shows more? There's a limit to how much creativity in terms of game footage you can throw in. Besides, videos don't make the player excellent, if anything, it's just an advertisement for new comers to pick up Ike. Problem with that is, newcomers will get frustrated on their lack of success, and eventually see the flaws from our videos, and then run to MK.

Some of us don't have the ability to put up videos...even if we did, it goes hand in hand with popularity. Perfect example being that I posted a video of some Ike player from Brazil I believe...he was pretty awesome with his metagame (especially his offense) for the most part, but no one had even heard of him. Point being, the only way people will go watch Ike videos is if the opponent is a popular person, or if it's a grand finals of some tournament of sorts. From there, comes popularity, which leads people to keep tabs on the person.

Almost finally, posts and stuff about how to play better with Ike, such as making him faster can be found in general discussion. Yes it is hard to read through the past 20 pages to find it, that's why a newcomer can just walk in and ask those kinda questions. We'll give them the answer, and they can apply it to their game.

FINALLY, who cares about moving Ike up in the tier list? It is what it is, and you should personally take it as more of an acknowledgment of your skill if you beat someone higher up on the tier list. Tier lists are there for a reason, but I'm not interested in moving my character up, I'm interested in seeing my opponent's face when they lose to a crappy character.

Oh, and I think this could have been posted in Ashu's.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I've been casual for over half a year at this point and I've switched off of ike for even longer. I only played ike in tourney in chicago because I wasnt feeling my snake and I wanted to see if 2 ikes could make top 8. I dont mind making a video for people I guess but lord knows I have no footage worth a **** rofl.

I appreciate the shout out I guess but lord knows I'm a hasbeen. The only reason I do well at all anymore is because smart players do generally smart things and I can count on it. If you throw dumb **** at me all day you can bank on it taking me like 4 matches ot finally get it right. Lack of consistent practice in over half a year has really taken its toll on my skill. I ended up losing to quik in winner's because

1) I spot dodged too much, despite me always complaining that ikes spot dodge too much.
2) I forgot I could grab release kill wario.

I'm past my prime sonny.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
I do see where you are coming from...nevermind then I will try to figure something out myself I suppose unless you want to help then just message me then for maybe something we can all work on but I guess this thread doesn't matter I suppose. Sorry for the post guys.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey, if you're gonna provide anymore posts, please have some more input and detail. Your last two posts have been lacking. 2 Word posts don't do.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
In response to Ryo, I probably won't represent Ike for about six months or so, mainly because I want to focus on my schoolwork this year. However, I am currently creating the biggest Ike guide ever in history with the help of the entire Ike boards. It'll take a while, but we're making some progress. Maybe that can fit your request for a huge Ike guide. I'm even considering putting full matchup details into this.

As for videos, I try to upload as many videos I can, but since they're mostly Wi-Fi oriented, I don't think most people take my uploads seriously. I see an inkling of that fact by looking at my subscriber count. I also agree with Bored. By no means do I try to offend Ryko, Ren, and Kirk with this statement, but most subscribers look at their videos because of their popularity and skill. Although other Ikes such as myself are skilled, it doesn't necessarily mean we'll be popular on YouTube and therefore, we can't show other players what Ike can do. As for another "montage", I don't think that'll be a really good idea, mainly because first, Ryko already posted a video of most of the Smashboard Ikes and other Ikes. Another reason is that there are too many Ike montages on YouTube. As a result, these videos have already shown much of what Ike can do. However, I've been thinking of an idea for a while, but I wasn't sure whether I should go with it. I was thinking, should I create several "audio-commentary" guides that can go along with "Wait, Ike can do that?" I already created a jab canceling video guide along with several jab cancel setups, but instead of video annotations, I was thinking maybe I should go with an audio commentary, explaining these various setups. Assuming that I figure out how to rec my voice and sync it with the video, I thought it'd be a good idea.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
In response to Ryo, I probably won't represent Ike for about six months or so, mainly because I want to focus on my schoolwork this year. However, I am currently creating the biggest Ike guide ever in history with the help of the entire Ike boards. It'll take a while, but we're making some progress. Maybe that can fit your request for a huge Ike guide. I'm even considering putting full matchup details into this.

As for videos, I try to upload as many videos I can, but since they're mostly Wi-Fi oriented, I don't think most people take my uploads seriously. I see an inkling of that fact by looking at my subscriber count. I also agree with Bored. By no means do I try to offend Ryko, Ren, and Kirk with this statement, but most subscribers look at their videos because of their popularity and skill. Although other Ikes such as myself are skilled, it doesn't necessarily mean we'll be popular on YouTube and therefore, we can't show other players what Ike can do. As for another "montage", I don't think that'll be a really good idea, mainly because first, Ryko already posted a video of most of the Smashboard Ikes and other Ikes. Another reason is that there are too many Ike montages on YouTube. As a result, these videos have already shown much of what Ike can do. However, I've been thinking of an idea for a while, but I wasn't sure whether I should go with it. I was thinking, should I create several "audio-commentary" guides that can go along with "Wait, Ike can do that?" I already created a jab canceling video guide along with several jab cancel setups, but instead of video annotations, I was thinking maybe I should go with an audio commentary, explaining these various setups. Assuming that I figure out how to rec my voice and sync it with the video, I thought it'd be a good idea.
If your going with audio commentary i highly recommend writing a script and practicing what your going to say. IF i have to watch your video and it has alot of "uhh, yeah, umm, so like, and" utter type of words in it, i'll shut it off pretty fast. People are turned off by that so bad. Dont do it. which is what practicing what your going to say and having a nice mic to talk into is what will make or break that idea.

Dont do annotations and text overlay on video unless you need to point out something really fast, its done intentionally, and professionally well. Seeing either of these done sloppily will also turn off people.

And yea dont rush it, take your time.

You'll probably need a program like Adobe Premiere or Vegas Video video editing software

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Pretty sure the Ike Boards are much more prepared for anything than the Luigi boards

-We've never done a full match-up analysis of each character
-We've never even done a half match-up analysis of half the cast.
-The only topic to consistently get a post a day is our General Discussion.
-Each Luigi whines and *****es about their worst match-ups. With that, each Luigi has different worst match-ups then every other Luigi, but we don't even try to help ourselves, except for an occasional tip, and a few exceptions.
-We have two Luigi players who actually win tourneys/do stuff, and one of them doesn't even play the game. (Boss). The other guy is BigLou. The rest of us just take the d*** over and over.
-I'm on the Luigi boards. -4 in preparation.
-Our video topic is dead.
-The few guides that are written all say the same ****.

So don't even worry about not being prepared, you guys are miles ahead of the Luigi boards XD
-

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, I guess it all depends on the personality and character traits of whoever frequents the boards. Luigi boards are apparently abundant in slackers and procrastinators :laugh:

Actually if you think about it, there aren't too many productive people on any of the boards. In most cases it's just like three or four super-dedicated and organized people making all the important threads and stuff. I guess Luigi boards must not have been graced with one of their kind.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Probably. They've tried a thousand times to get match-up discussions going, searching for new things or writing some guide that always ends up the same.

I'm guessing we just really need to communicate more about that stuff. If you take a look at cr4sh, LuigiKing, hippiedude or chic, you can clearly see that they are good Luigi players, or at least have a ton of potential, but they each hit a roadblock that another one of them could get around. I think if the Luigi players actually took some time to pass ideas and strategies back and forth, and get some solid knowledge about match-ups and the such m(maybe in the Luigi Back Room) then you would see a lot more Luigi players starting to rise.

I've pretty much stopped Brawl in Halifax though. The game isn't as fun as it used to be, and I hate knocking people out and potentially taking money that others actually deserve. Melee is fun, but with no scene outside of tournaments, there's nowhere to go with it. I may make a trip to Newfoundland for a regional there next summer, but only for fun, and because no Nova Scotians have ever made a Smash trip out of province :)

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Prepare Yourself!

Threads like this among others make me regret wanting to play Ike again. These Ike boards are doing swell, don't stop the progress.

And Zhao, I'm sure many other boards have your same problem. The Ike Boards are actually pretty **** prepared compared to alot of boards, at least from what I've seen. The higher-tier boards seem to have their top players too busy, while the lower tiers seem to do better (like Ike...perhaps not Luigi ;P).

(Keep Fighting for your Friends, not against them! I don't know almost any of you, but you all seem like a pretty unified board.)

:)

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
just wanted to throw this out there....

I COMPLETELY forgot Ike existed as a character till I met Ryo and watched him wreck a bunch of good players and keep up with the best.

If theres one person that can seriously contribute to these boards, it's him. His ike is just wayyy too ridiculously good.

Im not here to meat ride anyone. Just stating that you guys shouldn't dispose of Ryo's opinions just because he doesn't post much on the boards.

And if you REALLY need tournament results to prove that he's okay at the game. He got 9th a month ago at a tourney with roughly 90 something ppl and took care of a bunch of Snakes, D3's, and MKs(including mine) along the way.

Also, mad props to all you ike mains for playing with him. Ive tried but i just suck horribly with him :(

:toonlink: is the way to go :)

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't Ryko making some Ike tutorial? What happened to that? Lost interest?

I think people here were harsh with Ryo because of his earlier thread. It came of as a tab bit conceited (more than a tad >_>). Humble players always get respect faster.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Prepare Yourself!

Threads like this among others make me regret wanting to play Ike again. These Ike boards are doing swell, don't stop the progress.

And Zhao, I'm sure many other boards have your same problem. The Ike Boards are actually pretty **** prepared compared to alot of boards, at least from what I've seen. The higher-tier boards seem to have their top players too busy, while the lower tiers seem to do better (like Ike...perhaps not Luigi ;P).

(Keep Fighting for your Friends, not against them! I don't know almost any of you, but you all seem like a pretty unified board.)

:)
The sad thing is, there's no big Luigi players aside from the two I mentionned, and I haven't heard of any recent results from them in a while, and we rarely have a decent discussion. Maybe once or twice a month. We're pretty much at the bottom of the proverbial food chain.

Kaito0921

Smash Rookie
who cares about ike's place in the tier list?
But in all other things I agree with u.
I think we should wait 'til kimchis ike guide is finished, lulz.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Thanks all for the support ok so here's what i'm gunna do.

I have videos I'm going to be uploading soon concerning the more difficult match ups concerning Ike and in the matches I'm gunna show just when to punish, defend, or even mind game an opponent. Yes this will take time but at least with this we have more vids and more info concerning the match up differences.

Seeing as our support here in this thread seems to be growing all of us need to put up vids showing like I stated before the match ups that cripple Ikes abilities. I do want to wait for Kimichi to return to give us his insight on this subject just to put more to the table seeing as we could use whatever we can to let the Ike boards grow.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I play when I can, which is probably a couple times a week. I'm in the middle of nowhere (Ithaca, NY) with no one to give me rides (because the people who even brought cars are most likely busier than I am)

After a while, you can only talk about Ike concerning so many things, before the same ideas and proposals come up time and time again. We should try to communicate more often if we can (kind of feels like a hypocritical statement coming from me, though).

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
I play when I can, which is probably a couple times a week. I'm in the middle of nowhere (Ithaca, NY) with no one to give me rides (because the people who even brought cars are most likely busier than I am)

After a while, you can only talk about Ike concerning so many things, before the same ideas and proposals come up time and time again. We should try to communicate more often if we can (kind of feels like a hypocritical statement coming from me, though).
that sounds like a plan we can talk more I suppose so that we can get problems out of the way concerning a lot of things such as recovery options and just straight up match ups.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You don't have to be a **** all the time. lol..
If I'm gonna hate on CK for makin stupid one liner posts, then I see why not we should do the same to someone who does the same thing. There's no bias.

As far as Ryo's skill goes, I don't doubt that. In fact, I think he's most likely a top 5 Ike for sure. You say you want Ike players to represent and help those who need help, but you rarely stick around the boards to help the lesser Ike players. Yes, not every single Ike player goes here, but there are still a good amount of Ike's that could use some tips and advice from you. Besides helping those in your community, it would help if you would actually stick around here for a while rather than creating a topic and disappearing for the longest of time.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
If I'm gonna hate on CK for makin stupid one liner posts, then I see why not we should do the same to someone who does the same thing. There's no bias.

As far as Ryo's skill goes, I don't doubt that. In fact, I think he's most likely a top 5 Ike for sure. You say you want Ike players to represent and help those who need help, but you rarely stick around the boards to help the lesser Ike players. Yes, not every single Ike player goes here, but there are still a good amount of Ike's that could use some tips and advice from you. Besides helping those in your community, it would help if you would actually stick around here for a while rather than creating a topic and disappearing for the longest of time.
sorry for all that I've been in school and with my fiance. Anyway yes I will be here for the boards I give you my word.

On my skill thanks for that and everything. But the thing is we all are great Ikes but I want to see what we all throw in the table so...who all has recording devices?

Masky

Smash Master
2) What you said is basically what the whole enter board does, but a lot more organized then you are suggesting. We have a video topic. We have TWO match-up topics/discussions. Ashurna Library is for asking things. We have one full write up about Ike, and working on a second better one. We have a wifi topic.
I don't think Ryo is suggesting that everyone put together matchup/writeup topics. Matchup/writeup/guide topics tend to always end up summarizing outdated information that everyone already knows anyway. What Ike players should be doing (what Ryo I think is suggesting) if you want to get better and advance your character is that you all work together not to summarize or discuss things that you already know, but think of or share NEW things in general or in certain matchups. That's the problem with 99% character boards, they don't do this. (Taking a quick look, your Wario and DDD matchups in the "official matchup thread" are all incomplete summarizations of obvious info...)

He isn't really being that pompous. He came in and made a thread and everyone flamed him. He is very good, he has a lot of videos vs Red Halberd's assortment of characters. (RedHalberd is a top 3 player in florida and a top MK internationally.)
RedHalberd isn't top 3 in FL and has never been, at least not in any objectively measurable way. Who knows how good he would be if he went to tournaments though, the last big one he attended was in April. That aside, Ryo is very good and is always coming up with new things with Ike, and is also very smart and knows how to mix up his various options. He has some solid tournament placings backing him, and has also beaten or gone head-to-head with some of the top FL players in tournament.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Alright so put of vids of winnings, losses and whatever the blah. And like Masky stated lets update the new plans for the new metagame seeing as new AT have come out for various characters we have to make sure we can exploit weakness for each and every one of them it will be hard but no matter we have to take them all out of the way so that we can keep our advantages rising against our toughest match ups.

Top Bottom