• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere..notice that you can alter location of hitboxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mourning Due

Smash Rookie
I'm a relatively casual player so stuff like this doesn't really matter to me, but I noticed something tonight that I would think serious players would certainly want to know.

With NUMEROUS moves (ex: Mario/Samus/Ganon/Luigi f-smash, Falco/Kirby/Ness f-tilt, to name a few) you can alter the angle of the move fairly dramatically by holding the joystick either diagonally up-towards or down-towards rather than just straight forward. It's more difficult for the tilts, with the smashes you can just do f-smash then immediately hold up or down to affect the angle. This definately affects the hit-box as well, Ness's f-tilt loses about half of it's horizontal hit-box and gains some vertical. Some of the more dramatic ones, like Samus's and Luigi's f-smash, gain a lot from this, as if you misjudge your spacing and your opponent gets above or below your f-smash attempt you can aim it and hopefully tag them. The differences in angles are fairly minor, but if you're the type to count frames to ensure a flawless victory I can imagine this being pretty useful.

Try it for yourselves and respond. Is this just useless graphical cheesecake or is it something that will have to be looked at more closely?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Nope, it's not just cheesecake, but it requires no closer examination.

You're right, angled smashes are indeed possible for many characters, and have been since the days of 64 (Or so I've heard. I myself do not recall their presence as far back as that, but it was certainly possible in Melee). They can be performed in the manner you mentioned, or by holding up/down on the Control Stick while pressing sideways on the C-Stick (with C-Stick set to Smashes, the default).

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Haha. I read the thread title, and thought that like you could alter hitboxes in general somehow, and thus sweetspots.

...Boy was I wrong.

Yes, this has been known about for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time- but hey, congrats on you finding stuff out on your own and contributing. But as a side note, take a look at some of the Melee discussions to get yourself up to speed on some of the things/terminology that has carried over from there.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I thought the thread title meant moving your character's hitboxes to be able to evade attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom