• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HD TVs question

rexpro02

Smash Cadet
Hi All

i wanted to know is there is a way to repair the lag issues of melee in hd tvs...
i dunno what to do maybe if i use a wii or something, the lag of the attack is realy pissing me off... :mad:

any suggestions are welcome
(im not getting another tv)...

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think using a Wii make a difference. I've heard that there are adapters for the HD lag issue, but I'm not sure.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
lag is a biproduct of refresh rate, something that all HD/plasma/LCD screens have. I don't know about anything "fixing" that, so to my knowledge if you're not getting another tv then you're stuck.
you can check the refresh times of different TVs , generally the more expensive the smaller the refresh time which is good. I think 6-8ms is common, and I've heard that 5ms is okay but i'm pretty sure you can still tell with melee. That's about the extent of my knowledge unfortunately...good luck.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
LCD, plasma, and other such TVs just don't refresh the screen as quickly as CRT TVs do. No set of cables or different Wii will ever fix the lag issue; only an update to the hardware (IE: new TV breakthroughs) can fix it.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It took me a while to find this post that I made a while ago.

This can possibly work. If you have an HD TV Component cables can work providing 1 of these 2 options:

1. Your TV's Native Resolution must be 480p or lower.

2. Your TV must have the option to set your resolution to 480p or lower (possibly have a gaming mode on your tv that does this as well)

Basically if your TV's native resolution is 720i or higher and you have no way of changing it, component cables will remove some but not all of the lag. And standard cables will lag if you have a native resolution of 480p or higher. Component cables can only fix lag if the native resolution (or gaming mode of the tv) is at 480p.

mewtwomaster1000

Smash Rookie
there must be something wrong with your gamecube/wii if it dont work in hd but its better with regular tv's

TPoint1BUA

Smash Cadet
Gamecubes and Wii work fine with HDTV's, but there is a huge amount of lag. I think someone did a test and there was up to 70+ ms of lag (4-5).

Anyone know what the lag is like on LED tvs? I'd assume it would be very little.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
Using component cables will definitely help with the lag issues you have, but it could be situational to individual tvs. When I was using a Visio 20" lcd, melee is unplayable with standard cables, but you can hardly notice the lag once you use component cables.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...HDTV lag ranges from "knocks off pros" to "9001 YEARS OF WAITING". I checked my TV and it falls into the latter range, while the TV in the common room where I play is "knocks off pros".

I guess component cables would work.

Top Bottom