• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heavy Brawl = Melee?

AsaLostar

Smash Rookie
As many of us know, there are many veterans among the Smash Bros. community that prefer Melee over Brawl. The primary reason for this is because the overall feel of the game is VERY different. I personally like both games equally, but I am aware that both games have a lot of differences in the mechanics.

Take Captain Falcon for example. Because of the way the gravity of Brawl is, Captain Falcon's aerial combos are a lot less effective to pull off. A short-hopped foward-air is more difficult to time because of the increased air time all characters received by default.

Despite all this, one day I decided to try the 'heavy match' option in Special Brawl to find out that in several ways, setting the game up this way puts the game physics closer to what Melee was. Of course it doesn't make the game EXACTLY like Melee, but let's just say after setting Brawl to heavy, it became much more difficult defeating a level 9 Captain Falcon without any items. The CPU will still blunder from time-to-time as it does not seem to adjust to the increased gravity in terms of recovery, but his performance on stage combat improved to the point where he's landing 'knees of justice' left and right! If you haven't tried it before, please do and you might see what I mean.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
No. It isn't Melee.

However I do enjoy Special Brawl on occasion. Nothing quite like Heavy Metal Giant Brawl with 4 Bowsers on Jungle Japes.

link2702

Smash Champion
heavy brawl isn't evne close to melee

all it does is make everyone heavier

just like fast brawl just makes everyone faster

it doesn't change the physics to be like melees

it doesn't change the hitstun to be like melee's

it doesn't change ANYTHING that would make it feel like melee, all it does is make things feel like a faster ver. of brawl with heavy characters

it really does nothing to make things feel like melee's gameplay....

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I remember when Brawl first came out and people were talking about using certain settings in the game to make it more like Melee. Heavy mode was one of them.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Didn't really notice, it doesn't really feel like Melee to me. :p I don't really play Special Brawl anyway, not a lot of interesting modes to me.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I do a Heavy Fast Brawl, with damage ratio around 1.4.

It's close to Melee.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Heavy brawl is no where near close to melee.

It doesn't have things like Fox/falco having a jump cancel on their shines.
Falco having "fox's shine"
Ganon's melee sideB
and other things like those

it also doesnt have L canceling, wavedashing, wavelanding, powershield reflect, etc.

lol

and to top it all off. NO PICHU ;~;

Forgotten Soul

Smash Rookie
I prefer to do Stamina Brawls, I don't really care about making brawl close to melee so I just have fun with the game, as should the rest of you, If you wanna play melee, play it.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I prefer to do Stamina Brawls, I don't really care about making brawl close to melee so I just have fun with the game, as should the rest of you, If you wanna play melee, play it.
Who are you to tell others what they should or shouldn't do with their game? lol

Jonas

Smash Champion
What if I want something "close to Melee" but also want something that isn't Melee and doesn't involve hacking my Wii?
Then I guess you're hard to please.
Besides, I'm not going to say you're a dumba** for playing heavy/fast Brawl, or that you absolutely shouldn't do it. I just don't think it's anything like Melee at all.

and Project M does not involve hacking your Wii

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
stack smash isn't modding your wii or installing anything like Gecko OS

simply just using a loophole in the stage builder loading mechanic

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
it´s not melee, yet it´s better than normal brawl and captain falcon could not be anymore nerfen in brawl........also put the damage ratio to 1.5 and it´s a little closer to be like melee

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the kind of person to care about "Advanced Tactics" used in Melee's metagame either. The main element of my strategy is chasing my opponents and hunting them down. I don't like to resort to camping or turreting. Also, I use more Standard Attacks and Special Moves ("Spells") and less grabbing/throwing ("Judo").

On the topic of whether or not Fast or Heavy Brawl makes it like Melee, I don't believe it, but why should I care if the physics can't be like Melee?

And I'll admit Captain Falcon isn't as powerful in Brawl, but I can still play as him well enough.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Then I guess you're hard to please.
Besides, I'm not going to say you're a dumba** for playing heavy/fast Brawl, or that you absolutely shouldn't do it. I just don't think it's anything like Melee at all.

and Project M does not involve hacking your Wii
I wouldn't go so far as to call this mode FAIL, and yes I know this Heavy/Fast Brawl isn't quite like Melee due to the lack of advanced mechanics, but I will say that at the very least is just as fun, and that's quite a statement for Simone who preferrs Melee, but I'm not gonna get into that....

:phone:

Jonas

Smash Champion
There's more to Melee than the "advanced techs." Just look at how much work the Project M team have to put into Brawl to make it resemble Melee. The physics are totally different. Heavy Brawl is just Brawl physics, but with more gravity. Personally, I think it feels even worse than regular Brawl.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Heavy Brawl is nothing but infinites galore.

Top Bottom