• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help...AGAINST Kirby.

Felixphaeton

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who never played Brawl at all (pretty good at melee though), picked up Fox when he was at my house, then I proceeded to pound his arse into the ground with Ike. He continued to use different characters until he tried Kirby. He won every match thereafter.

That made me pissed.

So instead of complaining that Kirby is imba (which I know would get me flames), I want some advice on what characters have an advantage over Kirby, anti-Kirby strategies, and the such.

h31P Pl4WKZ!!??!!11

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Grab him out of his down-b is good because the landing lag usually gives you enough time. now you can attempt to combo is arse

crazykirby

Smash Rookie
hehehehehehhehehehhehe

i play as kirby all the time so i know his everymove....

here is some help------
1. dont let him suck you up (this is bad he takes your power)
2.get him up to high damage with a fast moving character and dont let him fly away.

Samson_ASR

Smash Rookie
Well Kirby is tricky beacuse he is pretty weak but in my opinion his advantage is his monouvering and speed. The best thing you can do is get a player with long range attacks such as Samus etc. Wolf rocks but not to good against the cute little kirby. Hope i was help.

I have to buy a wireless router, i cant play wii online. that is not cool

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Plox explain what your problem is. Kirby's a friggin' balloon!

Kidding, Kirby rawks. He's my second main/first secondary. Yerrow Kirby ftw. Uh, he's really hard to fight off stage, beings he has more jumps than you, if you're not the other Dream Land charries, Pit, or Jigglez. So don't bother chasing after him, otherwise he'll pwn you with his humungo hammer. STOP. Hammer Time.

Oh, I should apologize for my somewhat immature behavior. I'm in a rather... hyper state. O_X

Felixphaeton

Smash Rookie
The main thing is that..it feels as if his dodge and grab is too fast. I was able to dodge my friend when he rolls behind me and attempts to grab with all the other characters, but he gets me everytime with Kirby.

And the he kinda overuses his Up+b a lot. It goes half of final destination and is pretty tall, and it comes out very fast, so I have a semi hard time dodging those. When I do, he just uses another.

Kirby's dash attack has a lot of priority. It goes through most of my attacks.

I think I use Ike too much, so I want to get better with another. Who has an advantage over Kirby?

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Kirby pretty much destroys Ike in most cases.

Characters I generally feel like Kirby is disadvantaged against are Marth, Lucas, and Zelda. A smart Kirby player will still know how to take on these guys, but they'll need to be much more careful.

With Marth, proper spacing is pretty much key. Essentially the only move of Kirby's that really outreaches Marth's sword is Final Cutter. That move has so much lag all around it, it should be simple for a Marth player to punish. If you space with your forward airs enough, it's hard for Kirby to even get close.

Lucas just seems to out-prioritize Kirby in most cases. You'll want to focus on Lucas' quick, low lag aerials and tilts. His neutral air and forward air are great and seem to cancel straight into up tilt and forward tilt. Lucas' jab combo is great too. All of his smash attacks are incredibly powerful, but you may have trouble hitting with the Up and Down smashes, but they kill. His forward smash comes out so fast that it's hard to see coming sometimes and is also a good kill move. A smart Lucas player won't have too hard of a time hitting Kirby with PK Thunder while he's off the edge.

Zelda is another good choice to counter Kirby. Her high priority, multiple hit attacks make it hard for Kirby to get in close enough to actually get a hit off. A smart Kirby player will absolutely capitalize if they can get one hit off, though. She's so floaty that Kirby seems like he can just up air her forever sometimes.

Meta Knight is another choice, but I've played so many of those that I've learned to counter most of their tactics.

6footninja

Smash Ace

here is some help------
2.get him up to high damage with a fast moving character and dont let him fly away.
1. I find myself going 10-15 kills before even considering sucking in. Its not very useful.
2. He can't fly forever...

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Kirby pretty much destroys Ike in most cases.

Characters I generally feel like Kirby is disadvantaged against are Marth, Lucas, and Zelda. A smart Kirby player will still know how to take on these guys, but they'll need to be much more careful.

With Marth, proper spacing is pretty much key. Essentially the only move of Kirby's that really outreaches Marth's sword is Final Cutter. That move has so much lag all around it, it should be simple for a Marth player to punish. If you space with your forward airs enough, it's hard for Kirby to even get close.
Everyone seems to say that Marth has an advantage over Kirby =/=. I understand that if Marth get's a tip on Kirby at 50%, then it could really kill. But it's really not that hard to avoid Marth's tip from his forward smash cause Kirby is such a small target, plus Marth can't f-air him over and over that easily. As long as you don't get tipped, you really shouldn't have to fear about dying to Marth until around 120%. Marth spamming his f-smash doesn't help him much if he can't land a hit cause the game makes attacks less usable after using it many times.

You'd best stay in the middle of the stage with Marth so you're morely likely to live longer and not get edge hogged or guarded. Getting f-smashed from the edge of the stage by Kirby makes it easy for Kirby to just grab the ledge so you miss kirby with the dolphin slash and you just die instead of grabbing the ledge (invincibility frames ftw). It's not that easy of a match up for Marth since he combo's a lot and relies too much on tipping which is hard to do on Kirby.

Generally, all of Ike's smash attacks has huge range (I know his up and down smash have more than marth's) and can easily kill no matter what part of the sword hits you. As kirby, I'd think you'd need more experience with Ike to deal with him better than Marth since he's a mid-heavy weight and his standard combo activates pretty quickly and always connects, he could easily bring your percent up high enough and just go for the kill.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
1. I find myself going 10-15 kills before even considering sucking in. Its not very useful.
2. He can't fly forever...
i agre ninja he's weekness would have to be projectile chars you just need to camp iknow it seems like that would not work but it does Pit anti kirby.....

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
im pro with kirby, so i'll let u in on some of his weaknesses ;3

watch out for kirby's down B. you can easily avoid it by dodge rolling. once you hear the sound of his down B(rock), then dodgeroll immediately. you can also avoid it by running away too tho. also be aware of his down B when he is floating above you. I'm assuming you use ike. if im right, you can also cancel his down B with your up B. you can also cancel kirby's up B with your up B.(they both look the same, but ikes is stronger). so remember when he uses up B u can easily cancel it with ike's up B. and if you havent already, i highly suggest you start using sheild and dodgerolling. kirby is fast, and ikes moves are laggy and slow. gl

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
oh and i forgot about character disadvantages. if ur not gonna use ike then use: metanight, sonic, lucas, or mr. game and watch.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman

here is some help------
Lol, this was actually very funny.

I thought you were serious at first.

storm92

Smash Ace
I hate fighting Ike's as Kirby.
The thing is, even if he gets you up to 50% quickly, keep in mind in about 2 or 3 hits you can balance that out easily.
What you need is good timing and prediction of where the Kirby is going to go. Say you use Quickdraw to the left, you know he'll either shield, jump over you, or roll to your other side. Excluding he uses simple shield, you can easily Fsmash to your right and either hit him in the air or to the side.
Due to Kirby being one of the lighter characters in the game, if you get him up to about 60%, you can finish him with Fsmash or Usmash.
And also, Aether completely nullifies most of Kirby's air game and rock, as you have invincibility frames.

Top Bottom