• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me beat my Neighbor

Metasponge64

Smash Rookie
So my friend thinks he's the best SSBM Player in my neighborhood, and I want to prove him wrong.

I'm going to be Luigi and he might be Marth, I have no idea.

He likes to use that forward smash and is very aggressive

He knows about edgehogging too, but does not dodge to prevent getting hit

As Luigi, I'm decent at wavedashing.

I know how to:

Wavedash

Tech

DI

L-Cancel

Fast Fall

SFFL

Here's the ruleset:

4 Stock

5 minute time limit

No items

Stages:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland
Battlefield

So yeah, any good tips, advice, or words of wisdom?

JKJ

Smash Ace
If you can effectively wavedash out of shield, you can easily punish any fsmashes he does on your shield. Once he forward smashes, wavedash out of your shield and downsmash. Try to forward air him a lot. Basically, make him miss a swing, then wavedash in and punish him with a smash or forward air.
EDIT: Don't let him pick Final Destination. Or Yoshi's Story, if you can avoid it. Go to Dreamland as much as possible.

Insom

Smash Apprentice
I saw the title and thought to myself(jokingly): "Why would someone come to smashboards asking for help mugging someone?"

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
If its a 5 minute timer, pick jigglypuff and plank to the win

Not actually tho

Jace08

Smash Lord
this is pretty funny

you got this man! Follow their advice about wavedashing out of your shield to d-smash. Watch a few videos of good luigis if you haven't already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlT1-M2QLK8

if you already know how to SHFFL you really should have an easy time. Practice the hard technical stuff against computers so you get better as a player. But don't go for those difficult things (especially around the ledge) during your actual matches with him though unless you're already comfortable with the movements

youtubing players like ka-master, pakman, vist, and abate will only help you

Nimbus

Smash Rookie
There are so many ways you can bait out a forward smash out of a Marth who doesn't know any better. Having been a f-smash spammer way back when, I know how that goes lol. Once they think you're in range, they usually don't hesitate in throwing one down (It works against computers, why not try it against people, amIright?). The two bets ways to bait out a foward smash from your neighbor (IMO) would be wavedashing right into his tipper range, wavedashing back as soon as his F-smash starts, and then punishing accordingly. The other is doing something similar, but with jumps. Jump into his tipper range, and then double jump as soon as he uses the move---> Punish accordingly.. Once you've established yourself by doing all of that, he's basically putty in your hands for you to do generally lulzy things.And that's why baiting out F-smashes warms my heart oh so much... lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good luck bro, believe in yourself

focus on learning with every match rather than winning each one

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
When are you playing him? I'd like to see the results. Being a doc player who's majority of regular practice is with 3 marth players, I love seeing players playing non-high tier characters beat the marth master race.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
One of my best friends plays marth, and being a doc main, the matchup is tough. Pills are useful though (until he decides to fair them away and approach). But if you can get a feel for his regular approach its easy to bait out the typical approach and punish. I just play patiently, throw out some pills, and shield his approach, then wavedash out of shield and hit hard.

I imagine it would be similar for luigis game, bait out an approach with projectiles then punish.

The most important thing to remember with the marth matchup is that nearly every attack he has outranges anything you have. So when you get in, make it count, try to string together as many attacks as possible. But don't overextend, because he can punish you harder than you can punish him.

-Ran

Smash Master
At that level of play, you can probably win by simply not approaching. Get close enough to him where he has to make the first [second, and every one after!] move. Chances are, it'll be a laggy move that will be punished by an aerial out of shield, or ideally a grab out of shield. Wave dashing out of Shield obviously will give you a much greater flexibility when it comes to punishing. As long as you aren't descending into Marth with aerials [at this level of play], you should be able to beat him with just playing out of your shield or using wave/dash dancing out of his range to bait laggy move choices. A wiffed F-smash should be punished with a Wave-dash Down Smash, if I recall correctly.

D

Deleted member

Be careful, Marth has an matchup advantage against Luigi.

Top Bottom