• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me beat Pit

Uraithen

Smash Rookie
Hi folks,

I've been using R.O.B. almost exclusively lately, but I seem to run up against a brick wall against pit. Most of my kills normally come from aerial battles, but against pit I seem to be helpless. I feel like he outranges and outprioritizes every single one of my moves. Any advice would be appreciated.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to win projectile wars; Pit's arrows are just way faster than your laser and at best you'll just be trading 5%. Whenever you use your neutral B it should be as a surprise, and you should almost never use down b. In the air you have a definite advantage (R.O.B's fair >>> any air move of Pit's), so obviously try to knock him up as quickly as possible.

I would recommend throwing in forward B's every once in a while. They reflect Pit's arrows and have priority over Pit's Mating Call side B attack. It's best used when you are pretty far away from him because at midrange it's far too slow. Of course, it's still a pretty terrible move in any case so use it sparingly, but every little bit helps against such a horrible matchup.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Of course you should charge top when he's dead. However, charging top when Pit is on the stage is just asking to eat an arrow. If you knock Pit off the stage, you might want to try charging top (you still might eat an arrow), but most of the time you should be chasing him to try to dair/fair him off the stage.

Uraithen

Smash Rookie
Of course you should charge top when he's dead. However, charging top when Pit is on the stage is just asking to eat an arrow. If you knock Pit off the stage, you might want to try charging top (you still might eat an arrow), but most of the time you should be chasing him to try to dair/fair him off the stage.
Could you go into a bit more detail on how you can Dair Pit? The Pit I normally play against is easily able to outrange it with his Uair, and since his comes out faster, I find it next to impossible to pull off. I understand how to WoP him, and I'm able to pull that off, but the Dair simply doesn't work for me. Any elaboration would be great.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
you'd just have to time it right, i dont bother using dair's against flyers/floaters because they can di or "flap" their way outta of it, unless ive read the opponent long enough and actually go to where they will go and dair them.

against pit well, in the beginning of battle most of them well start spamming the arrow so i usually jump and hit them with the laser (aiming downwards) and approach them that way though ofcourse i trade dmg still because of the speed those arrows fly.

keep up the WoP's because that how i usually get my kills.

when hes approaching from the air (and your on the ground) and you know that hes going to do an aerial at you just sidestep and immediately dsmash, you can pull that out pretty fast, but it may take a few to get him, to do with it. but he'll be popped up, i suggest a preemptive rising nair if you know he likes to comeback down with an attack, im pretty sure he will be the one to get hit (afterall his range isnt a marths anyway).

but you should try focusing on mindgames and reading ur opponent, its hard to find a fool-proof combo in brawl nowadays (and with rob)

if hes at the edge, and he tends to roll, pretend to dash at him and when he tries to roll behind you, punish him with a reversed ssmash, or just a dsmash.

the downB i find helps me alot, but you cant let it go to ur head because Pit can easily reflect it, dont be afraid to use it tho, he may not be expecting it. if you do attempt using his gyro, may i suggest using that throw glitch in which you dash right after you throw?

because at low percents + throw glitch and immediately after dash you connect a ssmash, now that leaves you feeling all warm inside :D

also if he likes to hang around the ledge, try running off the ledge real quick and immediatly do a bair that will push him against the ledge and if he cant tech fast enough, its most likely a kill. try watching a few ROB vids (with good ROB players ofcourse). i think tommy's? yeah his videos showed an attack like that.

im sorry if some of my advice may get a little obscure at times, just ask which parts you need clarification on heh. hope it helps D:

if only my problems were with a pit, its the canceled-out-of-shield-fair-with-DI-away-from-my-shieldgrab-marths that really annoy me.
BOOOO.

Luigi Smash Master

Smash Cadet
i used almost all of rob's aerials except his up air against pit. and it works. and i smash close to edge to get KO

Sharky

Smash Master
Amen, brother. I've made very very very good use of this combo since I learned how to glide toss. This makes it so you don't have to charge the gyro for it to be good, you can just spew out an uncharged one (which takes very little time to do,) pick it up when the time calls for it, and glide toss right into your opponent for a combo or at least very good pressure. This is one of R.O.B.'s best approaches, in my opinion, especially considering the distance he gains with it. =D

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Don't try to get in a projectile battle, but by all means make *judicial* use of the vB, Charge it when he is off the screen out of ROBs range (which isn't often, considering you can cancel the Rocket Boost w/ a D-air to save vertical momentum and use D-air to maneuver laterally). Also charge on the way down if hit far up and to the corner of the screen/ 'KO walls'- especially if the Pit isn't a marksman with his arrows- though the chance of that is low. Toss a fully charged one out randomly, pick it up and make use of the glide toss->dash attack-f-air.

I wouldn't reccomend getting into an aerial battle with him either. His aerials come out quicker, and have a general longer range. Don't use D-air unless he is 'pinned' under the stage so to speak, even then try to wait until his more vulnerable ^B. B-air should be used when you are almost sure it will hit, or at a decent enough distance so that the recoil pushes you out of range. Also, try to mingle in a B-air as a forward facing attack as you can hit with ROB's head. I say MINGLE, not SPAM.

Use the lazer as you are falling below the stage level; as the stage should provide some cover, especially those stages that have ledges extending from their base (FD,Smashville,etc). Toss it out when you're up high, angling it down. Also you can attack w/ it occasionally by bouncing it off the stage upward so that it ricochet's up and hits him.

D-tilt is a good edgeguard, especially if Pit is running low on jumps, as its hard (relatively, given the idiot proof of the system) for him to sweetspot with the fluttery-ness of his jumps. Run off the ledge and F-air following the D-tilt.

D-smash is your friend when things get close. DI properly. Don't bother using the >/<B as its start up is too long to to any good @ reflecting the arrows. Though, feel free to mix it in sparingly when off the stage as Pit should be trying to juggle you w/ arrows if you've established any sort of close-range aerial dominance with your F-airs.

Personally, due to ROB's weight and recovery, I'm more apt to exchange %'s with Pit. Try to keep the damage ratio to at worst 1.5 to 1. I'm willing to take arrow damage to hit w/ a lazer, or w/ the vB.

That's all I have @ the moment.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Dull_Razor gives sound advice. After more playing it's extremely difficult to hit a good Pit player with your dair - you're much better off either nairing or fairing. But as Razor said, if you force him to use his Up + B, definitely give it a shot because there's not much he can do to avoid it.

Since almost every single Pit I've played starts off every game with at least one arrow, on certain levels you should be using >B every time at the very start of the match. In some levels you spawn too close to each other and it's too slow, but on others you have enough time to just get it out. After that though you probably have to shield/dodge because Pit can recover from the hit of his reflected arrow and fire another arrow before you can recover from >B and laser (yes, Pit is lame).

I've started just throwing the top out and grabbing it when I've killed Pit instead of charging it, because glide tossing the top into a grab is one of your only real ways to approach the little *******.

Top Bottom