• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me explain why the ICs AREN'T cheap characters(to my roommate)!

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
This is stupid. I main ICs and my roomie mains Pichu, Samus, Link, Doc and CF. Everytime we get into a Smash discussion, he complains that the ICs are cheap because of their chain-grabbing and desynch abilities. I play defensively and pressure him with desynched blocks and grabs and I never hear the end of it! It's almost to the point that I feel guilty for using ICs. It's a shame too because he's better than I am, I just put more time in. Everytime I try to explain, he says, " There are two charadter models. They're broken." >_< HELP. My friends complain about it too. It's ludicrous....

shadydentist

Smash Lord
They're cheap. Just not as cheap as fox, or falco, or shiek, or marth, or peach...

Seriously, higher tier characters can be much more annoying. Ice climbers, even with wobbling, chain grabbing, and desynching, are relatively mild.

By the way, I don't really consider cheap to be a bad thing.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Your roommate is what we call a "scrub". Stop playing with him and find some better people.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Well, you can tell you're friend not to use a sheik or a C. Falcon, cuz he could get ***** (Especially a sheik :lick: ) I also heard that they have some sort of grab technique when one of the IC's hit the character while in a grab, and the opponent cannot escape. But, I don't myself see how they are cheap. :laugh:

Lixivium

Smash Champion
He's better than I am. And I can't find any other smashers here in NC.
If he's better than you then why do you keep beating him? Does he beat all your other characters? IC's are broken in some aspects but they are not without weaknesses; it's his fault he can't exploit them, especially with Samus.

Besides, it doesn't matter how good he is; his attitude is what makes him a scrub. Tough luck if you can't play with anyone else (I assume that means he can't either).

Smasher89

Smash Lord
It´s not your fault that he mains pichu, if you want to win, use IC´s, he probably a hard time beating them, so use them if you want to win, and don´t let his whining make you switch character/strat, I used to play someone, who complained when I techased with shiek (worked like all the time, i guess I was kinda good at it) so I did not use it as much and now i cant follow the tech as easy anymore (and he ended up playing WoW), and I want to win tournaments, so I´ll just have to stay focused to my (now IC´s) strat and go for the win no matter if people whine about them being cheap or something, I use that to a advantage..

Smash Master
Tell him that by definition, cheap in a fighting game is a maneuver that delivers output disproportionate to the amount of input skill required. For example, Wobbling (yeah I know I'm like a broken record but w/e) requires a person to look at another game on another screen while tapping A at 200bpm. As a result, the opponent loses a stock. This is cheap. However, other IC desynchs and chaingrabs are not simple, so although the effective output is still like 100 damage, the imput skill required to perform the maneuver is high, so the rest of the IC game is not cheap. If you chain-grab like you indicate in your original post, then your friend has no room to complain.

mathis4dorkz

Smash Cadet
the game designers knew what they were doing when they made the game
There is an article about how there is no such thing as cheap but i dont know how to get to it again. its very interesting

the game pretty much all balances out(except wobbling) I dont consider them that broken. You have to pratice to get good with IC. They arent a character you just pick up and get good with quickly. Any "brokenness" that you explot on purpose is wel deserved because you praticed to make them broken ;)

Cons:

they can easily be edgeguarded. Nana Isnt that hard to kill. they can be shieldgrabbed fairly well. They do horrible against projectiles. (HORRIBLE). It Seems like they enjoy being juggled. They have an up tilt that can REALLY be punished. Their d-tilt and their F-tilt are very similar(i think, i dont use d-tilt really). Their air game is pretty bad. They are floaty and can be killed over the top at 80+(stupid fox Up-air) Oh, And they dont do to well on platforms.

of course all that depends on your skill but im speaking in general.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i like to use what i call "the tactic", just walk around and whenever either climber gets close, just dsmash... only gotta watch out for bairs...

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
Tell him that you'll stop grabbing once he stops letting you.

Ice Climbers, cheap. Ha.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I have gotten the same amount of heat man. Plain and simple IC's require alot of practice dont care what anyone says. All the chains, desyncs they can be compared to learning waveshining. The IC's have so many possibilities and problems to go against , within top tiers you gotta have all your style right to give up a good fight not even a upperhand one. Overall any good player should be capable to chump Nana. He moans tell him to figure out a counter character or learn, otherwise stop b!tchin

Oskurito

Smash Lord
That's true, the IC's are kind of hard to master. But it is true also, that most people think they're cheap in all ways

Anther

Smash Champion
I really don't appreciate the Ice Climbers at all. But I'm also a silly pikachu main that doesn't like what their downsmash does.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
So stay in the Pikachu boards! j/k. But seriously, tell your friend to look around at the threads on the infinite as well. They contain a lot of opinions on this general topic as well...

Top Bottom