• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me to get better at Smash- Samus Main

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone this is my first time on these forums. I have been playing smash for a long time now but have only picked it up seriously a few months ago when I learned how to wavedash. Recently I went on vacation and took my wii with me. While away I learned how to do the super wavedash and have been implementing it into my play and also started using l-canceling. Unfortunately when I got back my my trip, my friend kicked my ass as usual. but what was worse is his friend who was clearly worse then me when I left, not only beat me, he did it with my own character. I feel a lot in part may have been that I kept attempting the SWD but also I did feel that maybe he just played a superior samus(always spamming and charging). Anyways I just want to improve so I beat my friends.

What are your some ideas on how I can improve? I assume online play would be great but I have no one to play with and honestly very little clue on how the friend list thing works. I have tried adding some ppl(that I ddint know) only to see "awaiting registration" by their name. Anyways my friend code is 1207-2715-8867. I'm using Project-m 3.0(cant update pm site is down) homebrew version and am in the Maryland Area. If I need to change somethings plz let me know or redirect me to a tutorial. I really just want to vs amazing players, I feel its fastest way to learn. Any other tips are greatly appreciated. Some other questions I have are what samus skills or tricks should I focus on?
heres what I can do so far

Wavedash
L-cancel
Missle land cancel
tether spacing
SWD(cant dswd yet)
rising grapple
crouch cancel
windmill of fury

Is there anything im missing? Iam pretty sure she doesnt have a Dacus or its a very poor one. Any other cool combos or tricks I should try? Thanks in advance!

PS. On my trip I watched the smash documentary, The Smash Brotherers, it was very cool.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Don't worry too much about losing a ditto. It doesn't really mean you are worse at your character. Dittos are only like a 10th of the game, nondittos are more frequent and thus more important.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Don't practice with brawl online, use Dolphin Netplay, I used to suck at the game (I still kinda do lol), but Dolphin has allowed me to improve dramatically. There is very little lag, and there are some amazing people on netplay.

And I remember when I first learned how to do advanced techs, I thought I was really good, and I still got owned.
Just simply knowing how to do advanced techs isn't enough, learning them is easy, applying them is a different story. Your friend either knows your play style, or has better fundamentals. And if he is beating you, then he is better than you, accept that fact first, and never let yourself get frustrated, try and do things calmly.

One of the things I do when I'm playing someone I can't beat is that I stop trying to win, and start trying to learn what my opponents like to do. I start dash dancing in and around them, and start doing goofy things to see if they have any trends I could abuse.

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about posting in the wrong section, if a mod could plz move it to samus forum that would be great. Is online play on the wii obsolete? Hmm, I believe I would need a controller adapter to play on my pc with netplay. I do not unfortunately have one but may be able to borrow from a friend. My problem is that I end up playing the character, not the player while my opponents are reading me. He just plays a very defensive samus, always has the charge and always spamming missles so I cant crawl or jump over to him. I dont think he is better then me, he doesnt even know how to wavedash, but he is playing more efficiently then me. But I will def try your suggestion, I have tried playing with the dont get hit mentailty only to have it backfire on me lol. Any ideas on how I can approach him? I think my biggest mistake might be underestimating him as before I freely wreck him without a thought, but now with constant missle spamming its very hard to get a leg up without resorting to the same thing. I really want to try the wii project m online just once before moving to netplay, is there a site or forum where ppl share friend codes?

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter whether or not he knows how to wavedash. Wavedashing and other techniques like it are options. They don't make you instantly better unless you apply them properly. If your fundamentals are not nearly as good as the other persons, then you will lose no matter how many options you know.

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
I see, well clearly he has improved so power to him, thats one of the greatest assets of smash that anyone can improve. And clearly my fundamentals are not solid so I gotta practice. I think the key for me might be wavedashing, as I can usually bait out an attack, wavedash back and in for a smash. I will also try to learn how to moonwalk today.

Thanks for all the feedback btw!

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I use the Y button to jump, so I use the X button to side taunt to switch to ice beam quicker.

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
I use x for jump and y for grab and z for taunt. I have to completely relearn her wavedash now tho. I switched from full set to wifisafe as I was told it was needed to play online. The wifisafe version doesnt differtiate between light and hard press which completely throws off my timing as I use r and x to wavedash. I use to be able to wavedash everytime but I mess up so much now, definitly a buzzkill but worth I guess its the online play. Anyone know if the SWD is possible thru the wifi? Ive been trying but so far had no luck but when Im in the training room I can do it consistently. I guess I have to input ahead for the lag delay but every connection is different and all together it just might not be worth practicing as much. thoughts?

Top Bottom