• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on Ness matchup?

Commakaze

Smash Rookie
Having difficulty with learning the Ness matchup, there’s a really good one at a local weekly and I don’t know how to beat it rofl
What are some characters or play styles that counter Ness?

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
What part of the matchup are you struggling with specifically? I can give you lots of general information but I dunno how useful it will be without more context.

Ness's recovery is low tier, so once he's off stage, go for the throat. Rosalina hard counters Ness's recovery. Villager, Isabelle, Ness, and Lucas also have amazing counters to Ness's recovery. Characters with a counter can also edgeguard Ness pretty effectively, but stay sharp when going for the gimp. The first half of PKT2 is entirely intangible and if the Ness mixes up their PKT2 timing, then you just might die for it. Character with quick recovery in general can challenge Ness off stage easily, especially the likes of Sheik or Captain Falcon.

If you want a really, really grimy stage counterpick and Castle Siege is a legal stage at your scene, then pick it. The right wall that blocks the camera allows you to edgeguard Ness without even attacking: just run off stage with him and suddenly he can't see himself recovering. Had a friend do that to me once... felt bad, man. Also, the slant and small stage size make it hard to effectively use PK fire. If you play a character that can juggle well, then FD can be a good stage counterpick as well since Ness won't be able to land. Just be careful you don't counterpick yourself to FD because PKT juggling is actually busted on FD.

Outside of gimping Ness, you should also take advantage of his slow speed to control the pace of the match to your favor. Projectile zoning can be effective, but may prove a poor decision if the Ness can quickly adapt with the bat and magnet.

Be careful challenging Ness in the air. His attacks are disjointed, fast, hit like a truck, and safe on shield when spaced well. Plus his aerial mobility makes it hard to pin him down.

It appears your main is Richer? Ness's biggest weakness is recovery, and Richter can't really challenge anyone for anything off stage, so a character counterpick would probably make the MU easier for you.

Commakaze

Smash Rookie
What part of the matchup are you struggling with specifically? I can give you lots of general information but I dunno how useful it will be without more context.
I think my lack of knowledge on the matchup (what he wants to do vs what I would have to do to beat that) is what’s inhibiting me so far.

It appears your main is Richer? Ness's biggest weakness is recovery, and Richter can't really challenge anyone for anything off stage, so a character counterpick would probably make the MU easier for you.
I mained Richter early, but dropped him because his playstyle gets really anti-fun if you do it right lmao
Currently maining Mario, Bowser Jr. secondary, with half the roster as developing pocket picks, particularly Link, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Incineroar, Ike, and Wario, in that order. The player I mentioned earlier mains D3, with a Wolf secondary, and Ness as his third. What of those do you think would do well against Ness, and which do you think would be safe to blind pick into that specific character pool?

Thanks bunches, by the way!

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I think my lack of knowledge on the matchup (what he wants to do vs what I would have to do to beat that) is what’s inhibiting me so far.
Sounds like general knowledge was definitely what you were after. I hope I was able to provide!
I mained Richter early, but dropped him because his playstyle gets really anti-fun if you do it right lmao
Currently maining Mario, Bowser Jr. secondary, with half the roster as developing pocket picks, particularly Link, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Incineroar, Ike, and Wario, in that order. The player I mentioned earlier mains D3, with a Wolf secondary, and Ness as his third. What of those do you think would do well against Ness, and which do you think would be safe to blind pick into that specific character pool?

Thanks bunches, by the way!
Ike thrashes Dedede imo, and his counter eats Ness’s recovery alive, but he might lose to Wolf. Ike also has a poor disadvantage state so he’ll just get smacked around without some work put into the matchup.
Snake’s nikita is a hard counter against Ness’s recovery, but PSI magnet absorbs all your good explosives (even up smash), so winning neutral will be rough.
And I don’t know much about Pkmn Trnr, but squirtle can mess up Ness’s recovery pretty easily, and I imagine between ivysaur/charizard you could have an advantage against the other 2.

Top Bottom