• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with beating an MK?

viperGTS

Smash Rookie
I really need help with beating MK. I only play 1 person who actually uses him and they kind of spam up B and down throw. I currently use olimar but I still lose to much. Is there any character I can actually use to stand a chance at beating mk? I don't want to use mk myself though...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Unless the guy you're playing is one hell of a scrub, merely choosing a character people are telling you to use isn't going to help you at all.

Logical ways to handle this IMO from most to least logical;

-Learn from the mistakes you're making, if he's spamming the move over and over, it should be pretty easy to read him and then punish him. Hopefully.
-Go to the Olimar boards and look in the matchup discussion thread, if they don't have MK there then ask in the Q&A. Course', as I understand it MK v. Oli is a pretty bad matchup, so you might be better off doing the below...
-If you do pick up an other character, learn the character and the matchup.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Mindgame him. Only complain when he makes mistakes. I do this to local Metaknights to condition them into spamming more Jab combos and Drill Rushes.

Lol, but seriously, why is this here? Every character has a huge and comprehensive guide/strat to beating/surviving against MK.

Afaik, the only characters that ever have positive matchups on MK are Falco and Diddy. Lots of characters have 45/55 against him, which is usually positive since MK's rarely ever examine matchups.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers can put up a good fight against MK.

I've also seen Yoshi and Bowser do well.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Yoshi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t11GYdJ0Gd0

This was the first time I ever saw any character destroy a good MK. Not even Ally vs M2K impressed me this much.
Just proves you need to know the match up , and that match was over a year ago

Here is another match up Lain had no idea what to do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFvW2tnsbVk

On topic I might say if you never get into the competitive scene I'd stay your main (no matter the match up) because when you friendly your friend and you learn from there mistakes you should be 50/50 over time

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Yoshi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t11GYdJ0Gd0

This was the first time I ever saw any character destroy a good MK. Not even Ally vs M2K impressed me this much.
I lol'd at the comment that said that this match was "proof" that any character could be as good as the player could be, tires dun exits and whatnot. Sure, every character that has that many grab release shenanigans against MK but fails vs. almost every other high tier character.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Yoshi vs MK is massively overhyped. Once MK realizes there's no reason to stop swinging his sword vs a Yoshi, the only thing Yoshi has going for him is a grab release that - sometimes - deals 25 damage, and will score a kill at like 170% damage. Tails and feet are not nearly disjoint enough or high enough in damage to keep up with MK, and Yoshi gets gimped hard.

Yoshi's cool, but MK is not a reason to play him.

Beating a spammy MK is about extreme patience and fast reaction time. If he does a glide attack after an up-B, you can powershield it then punish with grab or something. Altenatively, Olimar's pivot grab is probably disjoint enough to catch him before even the absurdly long range glide attack can hit you. If he goes for the grab, you have all your typical anti-grab options available to you, provided you see it coming - attack, spotdodge, or even just grab first; olimar's got enough range for it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
If you refuse to ditto(which does give you the best matchup vs MK), the next best characters vs him would be Diddy, IC's, and Snake IMO.

A random low tier like Yoshi or Ness has good novelty because 99% of the MK's out there won't know the matchup vs you, but you're still at a disadvantage and some players will figure your limited character out before a set is over.

viperGTS

Smash Rookie
Well I have 2 problems when it comes to reaction.
1. I'm playing over wifi
2. I'm playing on a plasma tv
and uh the sig thing is outdated so don't mind that. I guess I'll be using snake then. And I'll go to the snake boards while I'm at it haha.

etecoon

Smash Hero
oh, it's wifi? just pick wolf/pit/lucario and run away while using your projectile a lot, MK isn't very good online anyway(yoshi actually does work pretty well here...)

but snake is good too, and snake boards is awesome, we barely talk about snake though <_<

edit: where are you? if you're east coast I can play you a bit with my MK and give you some advice maybe

viperGTS

Smash Rookie
oh, it's wifi? just pick wolf/pit/lucario and run away while using your projectile a lot, MK isn't very good online anyway(yoshi actually does work pretty well here...)

but snake is good too, and snake boards is awesome, we barely talk about snake though <_<

edit: where are you? if you're east coast I can play you a bit with my MK and give you some advice maybe
I'm not in the east coast and I'd rather not reveal my location. But thanks for trying to help.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Haha, wifi on a plasma TV. You won't see what's going on for like a full second.

Sliq

Smash Master
I don't know whether or not I should mock you for using "an" in the title since "m" is pronounced "em."

I read the title as "an Metaknight." So fix it or I'll punch you.

Moksha

Smash Rookie
just choose a different colour of metaknight and gay him back

Moksha

Smash Rookie
but really, just choose metaknight and spam tornado and up B OoS

Moksha

Smash Rookie
Ike???

Characters that have safe safe approach options and projectiles tend to do better, obviously.

Nothing new.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Fighting an MK on wifi is different than fighting an MK offline. You can simply camp MK online, since MK has no projectiles, and only certain projectiles are effective against MK because they knock MK out of tornado, projectiles like... Snakes grenades, Yoshi's eggs, Diddy's bananas, Lucario fully charged AS, and there's a few more out there.

Kideras

Smash Rookie
an easy way to get rid of that annoying little sword-armed kirby is to use ranged attacks, I suggest using lucario, and when he gets close use double-team to counter

ShoutingRyan

Smash Rookie
I wish I knew. But my best strategy is to go long range, as I have a regular opponent now that uses Metaknight... with no spam.:uzi:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
an easy way to get rid of that annoying little sword-armed kirby is to use ranged attacks, I suggest using lucario, and when he gets close use double-team to counter
Double team only works for so long though

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
All Metaknight moves could be considered some form of spam, since they all work. Spamming what? Try getting around spammed Shuttle Loops laglessly cancelled with glide attacks. Depending on your characters, try getting around tornado spam.

Planking. No more needs to be said on this matter.

Only a few characters can deal with retreating fairs. Nair spam off the stage kills at any and every percentage. Dsmash, because of it's frame advantage, can usually be spammed safely a few times for a safe kill.

Dair camping is one of MK's safest options, only a VERY few characters can get around it.

MK is a spammy character. Even if he's trying to play his entire moveset.

Whoever suggested Double Team, you're asking for a fully charged Fsmash in the face.

JagaTranvo

Smash Rookie
I always find that with snake,holding a nade and power shield will stop him in his tracks =p

Top Bottom