• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with defeating shieldgrabbers with falcon.

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
Boys in the last days i've been crossing in for glory with guys who select a character generally with projectiles and the only thing they do is waiting to me do the approach however no matter how i do it, they finish shield grabbing me, i tried spacing with pretty much all falcon aerials however all get shield grabbed, falcon kick and raptor boost too, and if i try to rungrab him he rolls or jumps like he can predict that and is hard to me to read where is he gonna dodge because they generally change rolling direction for each dodge. Also if they select a character with a projectile they will also spam them if you dont aprroach them.

A help here to get rid of them the falcon way please? im really getting tired of being completely rekt by such cheap plays :(

PD:: characters i've seen shield grabbers love:
Mario (God his dthrow+utilt combo is extremely annoying), Pacman, Link and Toon,Luigi ,Zelda & Duck Hunt (Maximum neutralb spam)

Last edited:

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
Try mixing up your options if you notice they're hiding in their shield. Like empty short hops into grabs and pivot grabs. Punish rolls with pivot ftilts, dairs, grabs, and of course always use falcon punch. There is literally no reason to not falcon punch on For Glory.

KoiWhite

Smash Rookie
Definitely need to mix up your approaches. Dash attack, dash grab, and nairs/upair approaches are all you need.

It's predictable when you come running to him full speed, so mix it up. Run up to him and shield just outside his range. If he falters in his defense, capitalize on that because falcon has the best dash grab in the game. If he remains steady, just run back and ready another approach. It sounds stupid, but this little running and stopping mixup has let me invade the zone of so many hard campers and better players.

Every neutral approach is like a game of rock, paper, and scissors. If I dash attack, he needs to shield. If he shields, I need to grab. If he spot dodges, I need to throw out a delayed nair or dash attack. If he attacks, then I shield grab. If you're approaching with a rock to his paper, just stop the approach and try again with a different combination. With Falcon's speed, you can space yourself to do just this. This way, you optimize your chance to get in and punish while minimizing the amount of times you get punished yourself.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
spaced up air can't be shield grabbed except for a few characters like charizard (?) so you can do that. i also like f smash on shield to bait them into a jab since they'll get hit if they're slow with the punish. other than that just exploit the shield's traditional weakness to grabs and bait him out of it.

also don't play FG

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
spaced up air can't be shield grabbed except for a few characters like charizard (?) so you can do that. i also like f smash on shield to bait them into a jab since they'll get hit if they're slow with the punish. other than that just exploit the shield's traditional weakness to grabs and bait him out of it.

also don't play FG
At aprox. what distance i can use uair to properly hit on ground? also For Glory is pretty much the only no convention way i can find players with the same or better skills than me, Sm4sh is still not so widely played here.

Demitus

Smash Rookie
At aprox. what distance i can use uair to properly hit on ground? also For Glory is pretty much the only no convention way i can find players with the same or better skills than me, Sm4sh is still not so widely played here.
Maybe you can play some people from here or Anther's

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
Did someone just recommend f-smash on a shield? Guys, please don't do this.

Deal with projectiles deliberately if the opponent is just spamming, ie walk > perfect shield all the way to Falcon's dash grab range. Just wait here in shield, do nothing and observe, then get out. Consider it practice for future approaches. This does a few things; 1.- you get information on what the opponent will do in a situation where they're not sure if they're safe or not 2.- it switches their spam into potentially a different style of game play for a short period before they go back to spamming, and 3.- it conditions your opponent to believe whatever response they had was not punishable by you, the particular Falcon player. I'll break this down considering the mindset of a zoner using your example of Mario because he's easy to understand (he want to grab you). Appropriate responses will be italicized.

So he's spamming fireballs, you walk and perfect shield until he feels threatened (assume you're at Falcons dash grab range as mentioned earlier). Defensively, he can roll towards you (hold A for jabs), roll away from you (running grab), sidestep (wait), jump away (reset to neutral), run away (reset to neutral) or shield (dash grab). Spoiler alert: he's going to roll towards you and go for the grab>up tilt. Good luck with these guys in the future.

P.S.- You can DI down/away and hold shield to get out of Marios d throw>up tilt.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill

also don't play FG
is falcons jab a zone breaker??

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Did someone just recommend f-smash on a shield? Guys, please don't do this.
i also like f smash on shield to bait them into a jab since they'll get hit if they're slow with the punish.
i never said it was particularly good, just something i like to do, and i did imply that it could be punished.
is falcons jab a zone breaker??
i'm not quite sure about what you're specifically asking, but falcon's jab is okay to stuff a few approaches and great in close combat. otherwise just dashing around and looking for an opening is better.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
i never said it was particularly good, just something i like to do, and i did imply that it could be punished.

i'm not quite sure about what you're specifically asking, but falcon's jab is okay to stuff a few approaches and great in close combat. otherwise just dashing around and looking for an opening is better.
A zone breaker is when you bait someone and before they can punish it breaks them up. Lets say i hold out f-smash and sheik comes charging at me ready to grab me. the zone breaker would stop her before she could grab me

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
A zone breaker is when you bait someone and before they can punish it breaks them up. Lets say i hold out f-smash and sheik comes charging at me ready to grab me. the zone breaker would stop her before she could grab me
oh well i was thinking of what type of zoning you meant. yeah it's really good for baiting too, especially if you can lead the jabs into a grab and convert into a combo.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
oh well i was thinking of what type of zoning you meant. yeah it's really good for baiting too, especially if you can lead the jabs into a grab and convert into a combo.
thanks, btw is pichu really your melee main or is it just a joke

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
Well... I don't know the right way to say this, but f-smash on a shield is objectively bad, @ Comet7 Comet7 . I think the only character who wouldn't have an answer to that is Luigi, and that's if he's slow to punish. If you like to do it, that's awesome. Break the meta.

Chud

Smash Rookie
NNID
A3R0dynamic
Bait out shield grabs when approaching with back air. Jump towards them like you're going to hit their shield. Then double jump after they come out of shield to grab you. Before the grabbing animation is over, you can punish with a back air.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
There's also a technique from melee that works well called "tomahawk" grabbing. It's basically just an empty jump in to a grab when you land. Theory is they're waiting for shield pressure and they never get it.

StrykerX

Smash Cadet
Smash Ladder is a good website to get matches on... better people than FG (most of the time) and stages that aren't Omega

also don't play FG
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT F-SMASH ONTO A SHIELD

Top Bottom