• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with my DI?

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I have what DJ Nintendo would describe as "BAD DEE EYE" and i was wondering if there was any way for me to practice and get better at it, besides setting up a cpu to hit me repeatedly until high percents and hoping he does a proper kill move. Suggestions i can practice alone would be great.

I'm also having trouble reacting to the move and the trajectory in which i should DI with, i feel at times during a match it becomes more guessing and predicting the move rather than reacting. An example of this is when my opponent and i are in neutral and i get hit with a random Fsmash or something, i either get caught holding back which kills me or not DI'ing it properly.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
I have what DJ Nintendo would describe as "BAD DEE EYE" and i was wondering if there was any way for me to practice and get better at it, besides setting up a cpu to hit me repeatedly until high percents and hoping he does a proper kill move. Suggestions i can practice alone would be great.

I'm also having trouble reacting to the move and the trajectory in which i should DI with, i feel at times during a match it becomes more guessing and predicting the move rather than reacting. An example of this is when my opponent and i are in neutral and i get hit with a random Fsmash or something, i either get caught holding back which kills me or not DI'ing it properly.
Understand the concept of DI
Implement it to your game
With time, you'll realize that most of the hits you get are from your errors (punishments from the opponent)
It just takes practice and having a focused mentality

oats_

Smash Apprentice
DI isn't something you can just grind out in the lab to practice. Your DI is always going to be different depending on how you are combo'd or how you are hit with a kill move.

Start playing real players. It will come with time and experience.

Sal

Smash Rookie
DI isn't something you can just grind out in the lab to practice. Your DI is always going to be different depending on how you are combo'd or how you are hit with a kill move.

Start playing real players. It will come with time and experience.
While it's true that you can't GRIND it, it still takes practice to actually be able to control your DI.

oats_

Smash Apprentice
While it's true that you can't GRIND it, it still takes practice to actually be able to control your DI.
The only thing you could really grind out is SDI to ledge tech, but that's such a small aspect of DI.

You really aren't going to get a good understanding of DI unless you play real players. Its one thing to know "oh, if I get forward smashed by marth I should DI up and survival DI", but its an entirely different thing to say "I made a mistake and will likely get forward smashed, so I will be ready to DI just incase" which you honestly can't learn in the lab or by playing computers.

If you can't find real players to play, just look into playing melee online. Trust me, 1 hour of playing real players will give you infinitely more experience than 1 hour of practicing against CPUs. Practicing alone is for grinding out tech skill and nothing more.

Top Bottom