• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with terminology

Badwolf

Smash Rookie
Hi there. Don't really know where to post this so I'll put it here unless someone tells me to put it somewhere else. But anyway, having trouble figuring out some of the terms being used here. Like JC, QD and so on (obviously referring to game techniques and moves). Can someone tell me all the terms being used and what they mean? Thanks

Fortress

Smash Master
JC: 'Jump Cancel'; to jump out of certain actions like Shield or Dash, or specific actions like Ike's Quick Draw
QD: Ike's Quick Draw (Forward B)
WD: 'Wave Dash'; movement technique that exploits how the game's engine recognizes standing characters retaining momentum from an airdodge into the ground at certain angles.
WL: 'Wave Land'; see 'Wave Dash'
SH: 'Short Hop'; should explain itself.

Were there any specific ones you were having trouble with?

SHFFL: The Short-Hop, Fast-Fall, L-Cancel (assuming you know that one though)
WS: 'Wave Shine': advanced Fox/Falco (Wolf?) technique. Not sure if people abbreviate this one, but I think I've seen it.
DD: Dash Dance; act of dashing back and forth such that your character remains in the initial dash animation
DACUS: Dash Attack-Cancelled Up-Smash; advanced tech which grants certain characters the ability to move while using their up-smash. A lot more technical than that, but that's the gist.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
JC: 'Jump Cancel'; to jump out of certain actions like Shield or Dash, or specific actions like Ike's Quick Draw
QD: Ike's Quick Draw (Forward B)
WD: 'Wave Dash'; movement technique that exploits how the game's engine recognizes standing characters retaining momentum from an airdodge into the ground at certain angles.
WL: 'Wave Land'; see 'Wave Dash'
SH: 'Short Hop'; should explain itself.

Were there any specific ones you were having trouble with?

SHFFL: The Short-Hop, Fast-Fall, L-Cancel (assuming you know that one though)
WS: 'Wave Shine': advanced Fox/Falco (Wolf?) technique. Not sure if people abbreviate this one, but I think I've seen it.
DD: Dash Dance; act of dashing back and forth such that your character remains in the initial dash animation
DACUS: Dash Attack-Cancelled Up-Smash; advanced tech which grants certain characters the ability to move while using their up-smash. A lot more technical than that, but that's the gist.
Yeah DACUS basically transfers the momentum from the dash attack into an Usmash. It's a physics exploit from Brawl.

Isn't Jump-cancelling cancelling a jump into something, not cancelling something with a jump? Like Jump-cancelled grabs and jump-cancelled Usmashes? Like if you jump out of shine it's not called a jump-cancelled shine it's called a shine cancel, and jumping OoS. . .it's just that. Jumping OoS.

Oh, OoS means out of shield, by the way. You can do certain things out of shield. You can grab, and you can jump. Jumping out of shield also allows you to do a bunch of other things, like UpB out of shield, aerials out of shield. . .basically anything you could do out of a jump. Including a jump-cancelled upsmash.

Fortress

Smash Master
Isn't Jump-cancelling cancelling a jump into something, not cancelling something with a jump? Like Jump-cancelled grabs and jump-cancelled Usmashes? Like if you jump out of shine it's not called a jump-cancelled shine it's called a shine cancel, and jumping OoS. . .it's just that. Jumping OoS.
Yeah, you're right. I thought that was goofy as I wrote it, but, I always mix that up with the other. I think it was the way I first learned about certain actions and how they reacted to the jump. Like, "you can cancel your shield with a jump". I just learned it in a pretty incorrect way.

Last edited:

Badwolf

Smash Rookie

Oh, OoS means out of shield, by the way. You can do certain things out of shield. You can grab, and you can jump. Jumping out of shield also allows you to do a bunch of other things, like UpB out of shield, aerials out of shield. . .basically anything you could do out of a jump. Including a jump-cancelled upsmash.[/quote]

Wait, so how would you jump cancel grab? Jump-fast fall into grab?

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
Badwolf said:
Wait, so how would you jump cancel grab? Jump-fast fall into grab?
To do a JC grab you have to jump and then press grab before your character is even off the ground. There is a small window of frames between pressing jump and actually leaving the ground. This info is mainly coming from my knowledge of jump canceling in Melee since I've played barely any Project M. But anyways, for example most characters had roughly 4-6 frames until they are actually considered airborne.

Badwolf

Smash Rookie
To do a JC grab you have to jump and then press grab before your character is even off the ground. There is a small window of frames between pressing jump and actually leaving the ground. This info is mainly coming from my knowledge of jump canceling in Melee since I've played barely any Project M. But anyways, for example most characters had roughly 4-6 frames until they are actually considered airborne.

And is there actually a jump animation before the grab? Or else I'd say it's kinda useless.

Fortress

Smash Master
And is there actually a jump animation before the grab? Or else I'd say it's kinda useless.
Your character very briefly goes into their jump squat, and it's during that time that you initiate the grab (you basically hit jump+grab at the same time, jump a little before grab). Your character will stop on the spot (depending on traction) and perform a standing grab with less startup lag and less ending lag than they would had they used their dashing grab.. The advantage is that you get to use your standing grab while moving. JC grabbing is anything but useless, add it to your toolkit.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Your character very briefly goes into their jump squat, and it's during that time that you initiate the grab (you basically hit jump+grab at the same time, jump a little before grab). Your character will stop on the spot (depending on traction) and perform a standing grab with less startup lag and less ending lag than they would had they used their dashing grab.. The advantage is that you get to use your standing grab while moving. JC grabbing is anything but useless, add it to your toolkit.
As he mentioned QD in the OP he may play ike, and jc grab is essential for ike. You can QD into a jc grab with ike just throwing that out there.

Badwolf

Smash Rookie
As he mentioned QD in the OP he may play ike, and jc grab is essential for ike. You can QD into a jc grab with ike just throwing that out there.
Ahh I do main Ike as well. Thanks for the tip

Top Bottom