• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with tilt attacks

Psychokinetic

Smash Rookie
I often have trouble using a character's tilt attacks (besides down-tilt) and often end up using their smash attacks, I often end up neglecting tilt attacks for the most part and using smash attacks instead. I would be thankful for any advice on how to properly perform tilt attacks without accidentally using smash attacks, and also where they think tilts are best used in general.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
If you are using the GC controller, then go into your controller configuration, and set the c-stick to "attack." Your c-stick will then do tilts instead of smashes. As for WHEN to use tilts, it completely depends on the character you are using...know your character well and learn their attack ranges and speeds and you will figure out when to tilt and when to smash.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you don't have to do all that.

just LIGHTLY tilt (hence the name) the control stick in the direction you need to tilt.
you only BARELY have to press the stick over for it to work.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
eat a banana and drink a beer before you start a session. that way you wont be as shaky

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Easy tips:
-Lightly tap the stick. You dont gotta bodyslam it.
-Do a dash attack and keep the stick tilted. When you get back up you are set up for a tilt.
-Do the same thing with a jump.

These arent practical, but they did help me get used to tilting.

The Kitchen Sink

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem. There are a lot of good tilt attacks, and what with the increased "stale move" decay, using almost exclusively smashes and neutrals on the ground isn't helpful. Since I never use the C-Stick, changing that to attack could be helpful...I'll look into it.

Mama

Smash Ace
I used to have the same problem lol. I rarely used the up tilt because I either jumped or smashed. But what helped me out is realizing the name "tilt" really means tilt. You don't even have to move the stick that far at all in order to perform the attack. It may take some getting used to but you'll get the hang of it. Another thing you could try is setting the C-stick on the GC controller to "Attack" which means tilt. You could use that as sort of a training wheel.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Seriously, practice only tilting the stick halfway from neutral. Thats the best way.

Brawl also has a new way of tilting, which is that hitting the c-stick in the same direction as the control stick will execute a tilt rather than a smash.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Seriously, practice only tilting the stick halfway from neutral. Thats the best way.

Brawl also has a new way of tilting, which is that hitting the c-stick in the same direction as the control stick will execute a tilt rather than a smash.
That only applies to the standard button configuration, however.

BISON

Smash Rookie
I couldn't do tilts until about 4 days ago but here's what I did, first I turned off tap jumping with the GC control so you can do your up tilt by pushing the stick as far up as possible just as long as you push the joystick first and then attack. After some 5 matches you get used to the control setup and you'll be tilting like crazy.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Mmmh.. You can set the C-Stick to "attack" to do tilts?

I'm having a similar problem, I DO think about doing them sometimes but not enough to my liking. I'll try that, since I never smash with the C-Stick unless I'm spamming it.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
Just switch C-Stick to attack and turn Up-Jump off if you are used to smashing with the A button anyway.

Psychokinetic

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys, I do use the gamecube controller. I actually already have the up tap for jump turned off because that bothers me even outside of tilts.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
There's a common misconception that you have to press the stick all the way in a direction to do a tilt. This is false. Just tilt it the tiniest bit up or forward. People especially have a tough time with up-tilt, but that's just silly. Tilt the control stick just a BIT. Practice it a little.

Purple Black

Smash Rookie
This is the way I learned to tilt. It is very easy to do and to replicate.
Simply hold the control stick in the desired tilt's direction during lag frames and press "A". You can even hold the control stick all the way down. If you are too slow on your up tilts then I suggest turning the 'tap up to jump' feature off.
This technique is used after any action. For example (just an example lol), hit side-B and during the animation, press and hold any direction. After the animation is over, all you have to do is press "A" along with the held direction to tilt.

As for tilting on the spot................:lick: lick your eyeball off your face
j/k ^---read the comments before me lol

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I would really like someone to explain to me what drawback there is to using the c-stick for tilts (i use wii classic <3, but, yeah).
Beside the glitch, that is, that attack tilts during some frames of animation somehow makes the controller decide you should jump.
Smash attacks are easier to do than tilts. So why is the second stick used for them? (besides the fact it is more fun for casual gamers, who rarely ever learn that tilts exist.)

Edit:
As for turning stick jump off, that has a real negative effect. It make smash up attacks out of shield more difficult (an advanced technique i've heard of).

Top Bottom