• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with ZSS vs Captain Falcon matchup

Welperino

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm having trouble against my friend that plays Captain Falcon. The issues I have is that I have trouble avoiding getting dash grabbed into down-throw into knee, or any kind of combo that starts with a dash grab. And I also have trouble landing safely against him once I get knocked into the air.

I can typically air dodge the knee but I'm not sure where to go after that. I do land a fair amount of my own grabs into down throws, but I have trouble connecting with anything other than maybe a forward air to follow up the down throw which he usually dodges.

So my questions are how should I approach the ZSS vs Captain Falcon match up? How do you avoid getting dash grabbed by him or what is a good response to that kind of play? When I do land a grab down-throw, what is the best way to capitalize off of it? Also, what moves should I look to use to punish Captain Falcon if he whiffs or makes mistakes? Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
If he's not short hopping and just running at you either:
}} Z + Down throw + Fwd air/Uair pending on how he DIs. (Your throw range kills his, remember that)
}} Spot dodge/Up Tilt.
}} Paralyzer (weak) to either freeze him or if he shields, run up and grab him/run behind him grab him.
}} Short hop straight up and throw out a SH FF Nair.
}} Downsmash can also catch up if you can time it right, but the other options above are a little safer I think.

If he's short hopping just expect knees and shield grab/up-tilt.

This feels like a great matchup for ZSS, one of the few characters I've had almost no issues in for glory.

Spacing with fwd+b is good too if he's doing a lot of hopping around.

He's also really heavy which ZSS loves, Up+B out of down smash is a fantastic option. If you are feeling saucy, hop up and Up+B him out of a down throw. Most of the hits connect on him because he's so heavy and he's dead at 90% or so.

Hope that helps ya out.

Last edited:

Welperino

Smash Rookie
I will try out what you mentioned and let you know the results! The one thing is that I have never been able to land an Up+B after I down throw him, he either air dodges or DIs away from it. Is there a particular technique I need to do to land the hits?

Last edited:

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I prefer using Boost Kick (up + b) after I bury them with Flip Jump (down + b without kicking).

I always enjoy using a ton of Flip Jumps against fast characters like Captain Falcon because it helps me avoid their attacks, recover from a huge hit, punish, and bury. Sometimes I get in some nice combos with it.

Top Bottom