• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Roll Dodging becomes very easy to predict by experienced players, but that doesn't mean they don't use it.

The duration of the roll dodge truly represents whether you should use it or not. For example: Samus has an extremely slow roll roll dodge compared to Marth and MK, so you will see them roll dodging more often.

If you roll dodge a lot, it becomes a bad habit and most likely you will spam it when an opponent is close to you. In order to lose that bad habit, try thinking about the different options at your disposal in your situation and utilizing them. OR you can try playing offensively and rarely use your shield button.

I never really understood the explanation of it is easy to predict. From my own experience and talking with others, there are times where you can try predicting it, but most of the time in a match rolling is something you just end up reacting too and take into consideration when you make decisions.

For example, if during a match I continually keep trying to space a jab or ftilt near max range as Falco, if it happens to whiff due to a roll, then the roll most of the time puts a person at the correct range that all I have to do as falco is turn around and jab/grab. There, roll punished pretty simply.

In another case, say a person is downed on the ground. A position where they can only stand-up, get-up attack, or roll. Well, since I know this downed character has only those 4 options, I can pretty easily cover three of them. Stay just outside of the get-up attack range. If they attack, I won't get hit and I can rush in with an attack. If they stand-up, same thing. If they attempt to roll behind me or towards me, I can react to this as well. Its only roll away from me that is harder to cover, but if near a ledge even that is easily covered.

But, I wouldn't say you should stop rolling altogether. Simply recognize that its not perfect and it is something that if abused would normally be stopped by another player time and time again. If anything, its best to learn to recognize where rolling cannot be punished. The downed character situation of roll away I gave is generally a good one. Although, there are lots of other situations to consider that you sort of only learn through experience.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Omg what is up with all these (Mr.) Players lately. So, annoying.

N E way the only reason you spot dodge is most likely just u getting nervous or simply hesitation. Most scrubs/noobs will tend to do this mostly because your not sure what your opponent is going to do next. It pretty much takes time to get out of this habbit. I suggest u practice shielding more and and not be so defensive. Try to be more agro offensive and dont be so afraid to get hit, in the end its just a game. Btw, try to avoid other players who have this habbit cuz it is only going to make yours worse.

Safaridor

Smash Rookie
As it was said earlier, people can become experienced in reading your dodge rolls. To help understand how this is used i'll give you an example from my main: game and watch.

With game and watch, if I notice the person I'm playing against has a habit of dodge rolling away or into me, I automatically change my approach. If they roll away, I usually approach in a way that allows me to land the bair. If I am grounded and watch them roll, I will run up to them to get them into my down throw combo (which is a tech-chase, another type of read on their rolls or lack thereof).

While it does not seem very easy to read their rolls, I find it much easier to condition the person I'm playing into believing that a roll is safe, while I set up an attack on where they will roll.

There is also the simple fact that there is usually a better option. IE. shield-grab, etc.

Wronskian-Physics

Smash Cadet
Good players do use rolls sometimes, but rarely use it for maneuvering around players. Usually you'll see a pro roll back to reset and space.

Top Bottom