• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Herpderp, Anime Drama

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=3112]Herpderp, Anime Drama[/drupal]

(Note that when I say "Anime", I also include Manga as well, just for simplicity's sake)
I come back to Smash blogs, and now there seems to be Animu drama in the first 2 topics I read. What the hell.

I'll just say it outright: Saying you like or hate Anime is a really ballsy statement. I mean, REALLY ballsy. Balls-off-the-walls ballsy. Why? Because having any opinion on "Anime" as a whole is just plain stupid. Saying "I think Anime is ____" means you're grouping

this, with

this, with

this, with

this, with

this, with

this, with

this,with

this, with

this, with

this.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Now have I at least opened your eyes to just how F*cking ******** it is to group "Anime" in one single genre? No? Well let me fix that:

TO ALL THE ANIME LOVERS/FANBOYS:
Chances are, you don't really like Anime. Anime is not a single franchise, made by a single company, all within a single demographic. Anime is a Medium. For example, I like a whole lot of different Japanese works. But I hate Naruto. There, now I don't like Anime anymore. See how that works? I can't ever be an Anime fan because "Anime" is just too broad a scope to judge as a whole. It's like saying you like every person in the world. OF COURSE YOU DON'T! Arseholes are pretty much everywhere, you can't possibly make such a bold statement unless you can somehow say that every person who ever lived has a shred of good in them, and that's all that matters. Chances are you don't think this way, so why go out of your way to say that Anime is the best thing since sex, when you probably don't like all of it?
Now I know what you're thinking: "BUT TIRK! NOW YOU JUST WANT US TO OVER COMPLICATE OUR SENTENCES BY SAYING JAPANESE ANIMATION OR SOMETHING"
Well first of all, saying "I love Japanese Animation" is just as bad, but the real problem I have is that I don't want "Anime" to be classified in one group. Even though I'll still use Anime/Manga as a term for simplicity's sake, one thing really bothers me: Anime and Manga are pretty much Buzzwords in the west. You know what the average market for Anime/Manga is in America? Teenagers. A rather specific group of teenagers at that. Basically, terms like Anime and Manga are just to attract that specific group of consumers. While the intentions were pure, here's the problem: we're now leaving out just about everyone else. For example, why the hell aren't I seeing Naoki Urasawa's Monster on NBC or something? It's certainly better than anything I've ever watched there, that's for sure, but why aren't I seeing it? Because of the "Anime" Buzzword. If any Anime, no matter what the subject matter, ever gets aired on TV, chances are it would just be grouped in a Block with other Anime. No exceptions. The biggest offense to this is the "Manga" section in a bookstore.

See this? This is all the manga currently published in this certain Bookstore in America, all confined to one location, next to a bunch of stupid Narutards. I can literally see GANTZ and Megaman NT Warrior sitting on the same shelf. I can see Fist of the North Star and Pokemon Adventures, resting comfortably together. And this, frankly, is BULLSH*T. Putting all Manga in this location means only a certain demographic will ever bother to look at it. Manga, as a whole, covers a VERY WIDE range of subject matter. Some are very kid-friendly, while some are MOST DEFINITELY NOT for kids. To put this in perspective, say I went to a Bookstore in, I dunno, Germany or something, and they had every American book confined to a single section. That means I could see "Sesame Street Stories" right next to "A Time to Kill." All this, just because you decided to make "Anime" a buzzword. Well, you and ADV, the b*astards. In 10 years, I want to see Naoki Urasawa's Monster in the "Suspense and Horror" section, and not sitting next to Sumomomo Momomo.

TO ANIME HATERS:
The exact same thing I wrote above applies to you as well, but increase my RAAAEEEEG by 300%. In a sense, I can't tell whether you're the product of the above or a cause of Anime Fanboys to be Fanboys, but no matter what, you're DEFINITELY part of the problem.
Let's just face it: the REAL reason why you dislike anime is because of the fans, in some way. In a way, I don't blame you, but in another way, that's still f*cking stupid. There's idiots in this world, and you're going to have to deal with that. If I let idiots change my opinion, I wouldn't even be on Smashboards at all. Now stop being anal and give Animation that actually *GASP!* doesn't come from America a chance already.
As for the rest of you who hate anime just....because... well, you're just stupid. This is like if I said I hate Books because all I read was Harry Potter and Twilight. There will be some Anime you'll like, as well as dislike. Saying you HAET Anime as a whole reeks of either
1. Ignorance or
2. Inherent Racism
This all reminds me of one f*cking ******** critic on some hackjob-yet-still-professional-enough-to-get-on-Rotten-Tomatoes site, who did a review of "Ponyo", who's the exact kind of person I'm talking about. He barely ever touched upon the Movie itself, and just went on about how Anime characters don't look Japanese (PROTIP: They do. It's just that Japanese aren't the minority in Japan, so they aren't drawn with stereotypical features.) and constantly described "Japanese Animation" as a "Genre", and overall reeked of "DURRHURR, THIS CARTOON ISN'T AMERICAN AND DOESN'T HAVE A TALKING DONKEY, SO IT'S TOTALLY INFERIOR." I never RAAAEEEEG'd so hard in my life, but luckily, the comments did that for me.

Basically, here's the Bottom line: I want Anime to be mainstream. I don't want to constantly see it grouped as one thing. I want to see certain Animes on Primetime TV, since I've certainly seen MUCH better Anime than anything I've seen on Primetime tv combined. Both Anime Haters and Lovers need to stop getting their panties in a bunch, and just realize that Anime BARELY even counts as a medium. Different Animes should be marketed towards different consumer groups. Maybe one day, I'll finally be able to see a movie like Summer Wars on my Local Theater. Maybe one day, I'll be able to read Manga in Public without some guy saying "YO DAWG, WHY YOU READIN' THAT JAPANESE ****, LEMME SEE, WTF, WHYZ IT ALL BACKWARDS."
Maybe, just maybe, all Anime related flamewars will just boil down to "Certain Anime" vs "Certain Anime" and not "LOLANIMESUCKS" vs "NO,ANIMEROX"

Oh, and adding to the "Haters" section, a common complaint seems to be "OMG, ALL ANIME LOOKS THE SAME." To which I reply:
1- If you bother to look, a lot of Western designs tend to look very similar as well. For example, I can't tell a Mass Effect from a Halo from a Gears of War from a Duke Nukem Forever at all. Neither can I with DnD from a Wizardry from a Lord of the Rings from a Harry Potter from a Elder Scrolls. Hell to me, all CG animated films being shown in theaters (Y'know, instead of actually good animated films like Summer Wars should be) all look exactly the same from another. However, I won't say that because....
2- You're wrong. Look at the above images.
3- If you still can't swallow that down, there's a reason why the standard "Anime" look is so popular. Because it works. It exaggerates the features most appealing to the human eye. Boondocks creator Aaron McGruder said it best when he said, "[Anime] is the closest you can get to live-action while still being a Cartoon" It's the exact same reason why a lot of Western products either stay live action or stick with a realistic look.
4- In the end, American and Japanese animation aren't too different.
"[Western Animators] often ask me why Anime character's eyes are so big, but when looking at western characters, I see no difference"
-Some Japanese Animator who's actual quote I can't find at the moment.

(Also, don't mind if what I typed sounds like gibberish at times, I'm typing this at 2AM and about t- ZZZzzzzzz)

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's always threads based around anime, but none based around our old western cartoons.

God I changed my avatar to this like 5 seconds ago. What impeccable timing.

But, with that said, I agree with this 100%. People think I hate anime because I hate all the popular mainstream animes that everybody loves (ek Naruto, Inuyasha, etc.) The only one extremely popular one I've liked is Death Note.

I don't think of anime as one big thing. I see every anime as just another show, and I judge it just like any other show. If it's good, I watch it. If it's bad, I don't watch it.

Why people make a huge deal about anime I'll never know.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
The only thing that every anime has in common with each other is that they're all equally bat**** crazy.
I'm not trying to troll here, that's just an honest view of mine and not necessarily a negative.

Except Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, they landed on the other side of the line. With Newton and Albert Whatitsface.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Well, based on this logic, saying, "I like Smash," is similar? So you can't be a fan of Smash based on the community, ruleset, etc.? I'm sure there's SOMEONE in the community you could do without, so you can't really say you're a fan of Smash? Saying, "I like Anime," is MUCH more easy-sounding than "I like anime except blah blah blah and this and that. But for the most part, I like anime."

Does this also apply to other real-life interests, such as sports? If you dislike one aspect about it, you can't be a fan?

I'm not trying to troll... just to understand why disliking one aspect about something means you dislike the ideal as a whole.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The only thing that every anime has in common with each other is that they're all equally bat**** crazy.
I'm not trying to troll here, that's just an honest view of mine and not necessarily a negative.

Except Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, they landed on the other side of the line. With Newton and Albert Whatitsface.
There are realistic Anime you know. Try out Winter Sonata.

At any rate, I'm not an anime fan, but I'm a fan of the arts and see nothing different about anime than the rest of the arts.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Well, based on this logic, saying, "I like Smash," is similar? So you can't be a fan of Smash based on the community, ruleset, etc.? I'm sure there's SOMEONE in the community you could do without, so you can't really say you're a fan of Smash? Saying, "I like Anime," is MUCH more easy-sounding than "I like anime except blah blah blah and this and that. But for the most part, I like anime."
Maybe I didn't word this right.
By this point, I'm sure it's far, far to late to purge the term "Anime fan" from modern vocabulary, so I'll just assume that when using it, you mean "I like anime except blah blah blah and this and that. But for the most part, I like anime."

But really, the entire point of the blog was to not simply pigeonhole every Anime into a single genre, and whatever awkward wording I may have used to get to that point. This was mostly talking to the haters, though the lovers are also pretty guilty of it too.

I remember pretty clearly, long ago, someone on the internet who said something among the lines of, "Nah man, I hate anime. My friend tried to show me Naruto, and I didn't like it at all."

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't think calling people "Narutards" is a good way to get your point across. People like and hate different things, I don't see how bashing it is really going to help people listen to you. I agree Naruto is hyped pretty badly for a series that is nothing too special. I still respect it more than half of the creep stuff to come out of anime.

This topic is kinda, silly.

Anime is grouped together because it comes from the same area of the world, which is why it is grouped together. But I agree people shouldn't assume all anime is bad.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Link to original post: [drupal=3112]Herpderp, Anime Drama[/drupal]

As for the rest of you who hate anime just....because... well, you're just stupid. This is like if I said I hate Books because all I read was Harry Potter and Twilight. There will be some Anime you'll like, as well as dislike. Saying you HAET Anime as a whole reeks of either
1. Ignorance or
2. Inherent Racism

altairian

Smash Lord
Interesting...but I think the one over-generalizing is you =\

Saying "I like anime" is like saying "I like reading". The word "reading" doesn't imply that you like all books of all genres. The word "anime" in that context only implies all genres because you want it to. Nobody likes everything.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
How many more threads are we going to have dedicated to this topic? Saying you don't like anime is ballsy? Is it ballsy to say I don't like most anime? Is there such a huge difference between those two statements?

I will repeat this, again. Anime is just like any other form of entertainment, there's a lot of really ****ty stuff with some good ones in between the ****. Same goes for pretty much anything, anime is not some magical thing that the Gods of Japan sent to us as a gift to let us know how much better they are. Stop being so butthurt over someone's ignorance to what you like, because there is A lot of really worse **** out there that no one is complaining about because it makes no freaking difference.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
I really liked the pre-time skip Naruto before the filler hell. I stopped watching Shippuuden anime 2 or 3 years ago. ****ing stalling and so slow pace. Manga ftw obv

The only anime i am currently watching is Pokemon :x .......the lack of good animes on TV is disturbing......i blame Japan for making so many "KAWAII DESU DESU" animes now :/

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I really liked the pre-time skip Naruto before the filler hell. I stopped watching Shippuuden anime 2 or 3 years ago. ****ing stalling and so slow pace. Manga ftw obv

The only anime i am currently watching is Pokemon :x .......the lack of good animes on TV is disturbing......i blame Japan for making so many "KAWAII DESU DESU" animes now :/
I watch Pokemon with my son in the mornings. It's a shell of its former self :(

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Anime goes through big phases unlike anyone else, its crazy. For 10 years, it was all MANIME! then TECHIME! Now its PUSSIME! Its clean, cut, feeling, and directed towards women, for the most part. Now it seems to be moving towards the WTFIME! where things get all surreal, with films like Paprika (given, he's been doing that for about 10 years now) and Trappeeze.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
*Hanamaru Kindergarten*

this, with this

*Baka Test*

are the best currently airing series of this season.
Brofist.jpg

Though I'll slightly forgive you for leaving out Durarararararararararararara

Interesting...but I think the one over-generalizing is you =\

Saying "I like anime" is like saying "I like reading". The word "reading" doesn't imply that you like all books of all genres. The word "anime" in that context only implies all genres because you want it to. Nobody likes everything.
'Snot the point.

I'm not being a nazi, saying "YOU CANNOT USE THIS PHRASE BECAUSE I SAY SO," because that would just be stupid and would require turning the internet upside it's head.
I'm saying, I don't want anime being judged as a whole. Really, that's the only point I'm trying to make.

Racism towards anime fans?
1- When the hell did I say that?
2- I meant it more among the lines of "Xenophobia"....but with animation.

How many more threads are we going to have dedicated to this topic? Saying you don't like anime is ballsy? Is it ballsy to say I don't like most anime? Is there such a huge difference between those two statements?

I will repeat this, again. Anime is just like any other form of entertainment, there's a lot of really ****ty stuff with some good ones in between the ****. Same goes for pretty much anything, anime is not some magical thing that the Gods of Japan sent to us as a gift to let us know how much better they are. Stop being so butthurt over someone's ignorance to what you like, because there is A lot of really worse **** out there that no one is complaining about because it makes no freaking difference.
Isn't that.....pretty much the point I'm trying to make?

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
Considering it was written at 2:00 A.M, I'm rather impressed ;)

This is very well written and I think it gets an excellent point across; don't judge an entire medium by a few bad apples. I can't tell you how bad it sounds when I hear people say "I'm not really into reading books." I can only think:

...Anyways, All I can say is that I miss when the Sci-Fi channel did Saturday morning anime. I didn't find a single movie I didn't like there.

finalark

SNORLAX

I was about to come in and say this. But Falcon already did so, as usual.

I think the thing that really gets me are the fans (NOTE: NOT ALL ANIME FANS ARE LIKE THIS, SIMPLEY THE HARDCORE ONES, AND YES I HAVE MET TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE LIKE THIS), and how they treat anime/Jcomics like they're a gift handed down on golden plates by Amaterasu herself. I could rant about the hardcore fans for hours, but I won't. In my eyes, anime just like any other TV entertainment, and manga are just comics from Japan. And while I'd love to see Case Closed volumes in the mystery section, well, American comics don't even get that treatement.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I somewhat agree.

I can, however, say "I like MOST anime." Which I do... I LOVE Gurren Lagann, Pandora Hearts, Death Note, Code Geass, Hellsing Ultimate, D.Gray-man, and Princess Mononoke and I really like Trigun, Trinity Blood, Zoids, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and others. While I say this... I HATE Naruto and Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I HATE... HATE....HATE One Piece and Paranoia Agent.

Anime is simply a medium that generally really appeals to me, but I do not look at it through biased eyes.... if something in anime is crap (or rather I think it is crap), I'm going to tell it off for what it is.

finalark

SNORLAX
So yeah, I vent about hardcore anime fans and suddenly everyone with an anime avatar grabs their guns and starts martching around my house swearing vengance.

It's kind of funny how things work out.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Define funny, it irritates my balls off. I don't think anyone on this board hasn't seen at least 10 of these threads in the last 6 months, seriously.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Well you seem to be inferring I want this place to be serious business or some **** because I'm really tired of these threads. I like lulz, lulz can not be serious business, but this thread is not lulz.

Top Bottom