• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey I'm new and need advice on training :o

FaMaS

Smash Rookie
Does beating level 9's in 1v1 on a regular basis mean you're good, or is that average? Like say my Ness beats level 9's with an even matchup against him 9 out of 10 times. would you say this means I'm good enough to compete, or is this pretty easy to do?

Sorry if it's a noob question, but for all intents and purposes on this forum, i am a noob :p.

-Ran

Smash Master
Tournament play > Watching videos of Pros > Friendlies with Tournament players > Wifi ladder matches> Reading Character Discussions > Playing with casual players [no items] > level 3 Cpus > level 9 Cpu.

-Ran

Smash Master
Level 3 Cpus allow you to practice techniques, spacing, and don't air dodge like morons. =P

FaMaS

Smash Rookie
ohz :). I feel like such a nub :p. oh well, learning is the only way to not be a nub. thanks

FaMaS

Smash Rookie
Hey do you think i could get your friend code thing? i literally have NO friends on wifi :'(

link2702

Smash Champion
training against cpus isn't that good of an idea, really you need real matchup experiance against real players, reall competitive players i should say, not the noobs you find in basic brawls who go ike and think they are "pro" cuz the other morons run into their constant stream of Fsmashes and Usmashes.

cpus are good for when you wanna practice advanced techs like the timing on the chaingrab for the broken eskimos of hell, mortar sliding with snake, glide tossing, ect., they are NOT good for learning actual matchups because the cpus don't honestly play anything like real players(the metaknight cpu has to be one of the dumbest in the game, and yet mk himself, when played by a real player, is something most everyone dreads facing cuz of how ridiculously broken he is), plus, even though they are smarter in brawl then they were in melee, they are stil computers, that always go into a pattern, if you get constantly used to this "pattern" the cpus do, and constantly use the same moves yourself to defeat it(because the same thing will always work on the cpus) you yourself end up forming a very predictable patttern, one that a REAL oppenent can very well figure out, and start punishing you everytime you go into it.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Level 9s are bad to play against. In a nutshell:
Level 9s play nothing like actual competitive players do, so you will fall into destructive habits like what was said above.
Level 9s have inhuman reaction speed. An actual person might panic or something and miss the one frame they had to ecscape the chaingrab or something. You know? It's just not the same.
You can't practice baits and you can't mindgame a CPU. This is an essential skill you need for high level play. If you fight CPUs for too long, you will be on autopilot and guessing what your opponent will to in an actual tournament match instead of reading and predicting.

Sorry, but beating level 9s has little to nothing to do with tournament competitions. And you say your relatively new, so don't be surprised. Good luck getting better man! I remember when I found out level 9s were bad. I was horrified. XD

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Playing against Level 9s is a terrible way to prepare to go up against tournament players.

Most tournament players are much more predictable than Level 9s.

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
just going to tournys gets you a lot better really fast. I remember before my first tourny i thought i was so good because i beat all my friends then i went to the tourny and got owned lol. But by the end of the day i was significantly better, and im still getting better with each tourny. just remember to not be afriad of losing and ask lots of questions, im sure they would be happy to answer if they foind out your new and want to get better.

Pixels

Smash Rookie
The best experience to have is always real combat. I myself am trying to get better, if I had my wifi running I'd definitely train with you.

tjbdude

Smash Rookie
yea i have to agree playing against lvl 9's isnt a good way to train cause a lvl 9 snake is like fighting a 6 year old playing ganon for the first time. i wish wifi wasnt so laggy i would probably be a lot better

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Tournament play > Watching videos of Pros > Friendlies with Tournament players > Wifi ladder matches> Reading Character Discussions > Playing with casual players [no items] > level 3 Cpus > level 9 Cpu.
This is what you want to do if you want to train and get better.

The absolute best way to get better when you're a newb is to go to a tournament, make some friends, call in next game during friendlies and play against people who know what they're doing. Then enter your bracket or pools and get absolutely destroyed. Challenge people who are better than you, and have fun.

The next best thing, which you should always do, is to always ask why. If you beat someone, why did you beat him or her? Or why did you lose? Make it even more specific. Why did I lose that stock, or why did I get grabbed or hit there? Watch videos of pros. Why do they do what they do?

Read some tutorials on How to get Better. There are some really great ones on these forums. Actually, I'm from the melee boards so I can vouch for us. Dunno about brawl boards actually LOL.

That said, computers aren't real opponents. Don't treat them as such, because doing so will actually make you worse. Practice tech skill, timing, hand motions, setups, spacing, and stuff with the practice dummy smashboards likes to call a level 3 computer. That's all they are, practice dummies.

Top Bottom