• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi, im 25, is that too old to go to tourney's?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Hello, Like my topic title says, is 25 too old?

I have played smash bros since its debut on the n64 and never gone to a single tournament. I think it was mostly peer pressure that kept me from going to one. You might be familiar with it; it's the one where you don't want to feel like you associate yourself with nerds. lol, well im far beyond that mentality now that im quite a bit older. But now i have a new thing that im a little afraid of, and thats if i might be too old to be at one of these events. I mean im almost betting that a lot of high school kids that are mostly there right?

I should add that i do go to college still to earn a BA in history that i hope to teach in the future some time. I'd like to think im moderately good at smash. Though i haven't really integrated much of the advanced techniques yet, but im slowly learning them when i have time away from my studies. Being on this board again has kinda sparked an interest in testing myself at one of these events.

So once again, is 25 too old? And also what would be the right mindset to going to one of these? Like i said earlier, i kinda want to test myself, but i also just want to go to try and fine tune my skills even if i end up losing. :)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
We have, afaik, a few 25/26ish players and tournament goers...

Besides, why should you be too old to do whatever brings you fun?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
The better part of the crowd is late high school age, you're around the deeper end of it. If you have the time, the cash, and you find the game fun, gogogo

As for mindset, play to figure the game out as you go and get some enjoyment from it. The only way you'll be able to figure out if the scene is okay with you is by going for it :)

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Eh, one of the guys who taught me how to play melee is about your age. And he still plays, and sometimes show up to tournaments. Heck, If you go to shoryuken.com most of the members there are around mid twenties to early thirties, and still frequent SF tournaments. You might feel a little awkward at first, but you should be alright. Anyways you're going to get wrecked HARD. But good luck man. Let us know how you did. :)

Noa.

Smash Master
No need to worry about nerds either. Most smashers are as far away from nerds as possible. Some might be Geeks, but for the most part there are no nerds.

You're also not too old. Most generally stop at 28 or 29 so you still have some years left if you're interested. And quite a number of smashers go to college.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Video games arent just for kids, there a way for familys to spend time together on a rainy day. There a way for family to reconcile, they are magic.XD Anyway, they've just been stereotyped to be played by nerds or geeks (Kids). In all truths, its all in the way you look at them. And that kids is my sage advice for tonight. :laugh:

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
If you give me a good reason or argument, I can accept your opinion. If you don't have a reason other than "lul vidoe gamz r 4 kidz lol", I'm sorry... because that's not valid at all.
No, I am just saying that by the time I am 25, I will be involved in more important things than videogames, such as a serious job, and a girl.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'm 21, ha...d a job before my workplace went into insolvency, and despite the fact I have currently no relationship, I have almost one which was the same state before the company went bankrupt. I still was able to maintain hobbies besides work and (almost) relationship.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Why force yourself to abandon a hobby because of your age?

I know 25 yos who still do play smash, nothing wrong with that ;D

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
dude i know 40 year olds who still play video games all the time, don't ever stop man, if there fun to you they will always be.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Anyways you're going to get wrecked HARD. :)
Yeah, that may be another thing that has kept me from going to one was the possibility of that happening and the resulting embarrassment that often ensues.

But then i have slowly figured (and still figuring), that even if that happens you still end up learning LOTS from it. I recall reading one of Scotu's threads here (i believe its stickied) that mentions that you may not be consciously aware that you are learning, but you really are, and maybe you put Brawl down for a month or two and come back only to find that you pwn much harder than you did before. That's what I've come to realize over and over. I'll play nonstop for maybe a week, 2 weeks to a month and then take a break from it and come back and find that I kick more *** now than I've ever done.

So I'm really starting to think that going to one of these events may in the long run give me so much more knowledge and skills that soon it'll be like a Neo moment, lol, and everything just clicks perfectly for me. Well maybe that's a bit too optimistic, but i certainly don't doubt that i could be just as deadly as one of the top players.

That may be a long ways away, so i suppose ill just go to one more for the learning experience and the enjoyment in the learning until it all just fits together perfectly for me. :)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If there's one thing that I've realized, then it's that you don't learn much from winning. And losing is not embarassing.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
So I'm really starting to think that going to one of these events may in the long run give me so much more knowledge and skills that soon it'll be like a Neo moment, lol, and everything just clicks perfectly for me.
Ahh, I love those moments, lolol.

Krono

Smash Rookie
never to old to play smash, and so what if you lose, you can learn from a lose :)

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
You are never ever too old to smash. Looking at this thread made me feel a little old. So many people younger than me....
Anyway, go to that tournament and show those youngins! :)

Sanu

Smash Champion
I know two people who play smash competitively who are around that age, one just got his masters degree and the other is becoming a teacher.

Don't feel bad man! They're awesome guys and I'm sure you are too ^-^

Darkurai

Smash Master
No, I am just saying that by the time I am 25, I will be involved in more important things than videogames, such as a serious job, and a girl.
I find it hilarious that you're implying that because of having a girl, you can't do something you find fun.

auroreon

Smash Ace
How could you ever be too old to do what you enjoy doing? Are you ever too old to watch movies? Play sports? Listen to music? No. Then how could you ever be too old to play video games.
This mindset that people seem to have about video games, or indeed any form of entertainment that society deems as childish, is just silly.
To the guy who said you should have a job and relationship by then; Shame on you. Have you ever actually questioned why you must conform to this commonly accepted way of living. Just because the majority decides to adopt a certain lifestlye, should not mean that you have any obligation to do the same.
Just because most people don't ever think past that idea of "Job > Money > Food > Survival > Wife > Sex > Reproduction" that is forced upon us throughout life, doesn't mean you have to accept it too.
At the end of the day, life is about having a good time. What would be the point of survival if we didn't enjoy life?
I still play video games, I watch pixar movies and I still build stuff out of lego with my little brother, does that make me odd? Maybe it does, but I don't see why I should care.
My advice is do whatever you love to do and don't let age or anything else deter you. You should deffinatly go to a tournament, you would have a great time. There are LOADS of people in their twenties and even thirties that go to tournaments.
If you think about it, how is playing video games any less valid a hobby than playing a sport, reading, sailing or watch making? Its not, it has just been stereotyped as 'childish'.
I will continue to attend tournaments and play video games untill my fingers are no longer able to work a controller because its what I love doing, and if its what you love doing too then don't let any braindead conformist sheep stop you from doing the same.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I don't see why you could be too old for a tournament, let alone playing video games. It's all just how people look at it, some people will look awkwardly because you're an ''old man'' playing videogames, which is totally unacceptable (sarcasm). Depends on how you look at it, too, if you're afraid to lose (and you will) against some 14/16/19 years old dudes/girls and be embarrassed because you lost to someone younger than you, you shouldn't go to a tournament.
BUT, with a mindset like you have, as you've just recently posted, you can make it a great experience by having fun and learning both at the same time. Do your thing, and don't let etiquettes or common norms and values get you down :).
Good luck!

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Nah dude... I would go. If you are worried about sticking out like a sore thumb then set your mind at rest. Cuz I know plenty of people that are 16-21 and they don't look that different from people who are 25.

To Spadefox: That sucks dude. -_-

To people who think he's to old: I see your point in saying he should be doing other things, but let me ask you this. "When you are 80 and you are looking back at you life don't you want to say that you had the guts to get into the car?"
If he wants to do it then he should. Other wise he might regret it. Seems like he might already.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It's not too late
It's never to laaate

LLDL

Smash Hero
Its actually mostly college aged kids... nevermind this is brawl

Zesse

Smash Rookie
Never to old to go as far as losing always going to be someone better then you it's just how life works

Blad01

Smash Lord
Wtf in this thread ?

1. You're not too old, society should not define people's standards anyways... People define standards themselves. If most of the players are around 17-18, a lot of players still play until ~28. And I mean, if you go to tourneys, you will by yourself change the standards a little bit.

2. I don't see why you couldn't have a job, a wife and whatever you want, and still go to tournaments...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
You're never too old to smash.

It would be tight if old men still played fighters. You know how old men in parks in NY or something like to play chess? Well we'll be playing smash or whatever new games there are when we're old.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
I'm not betting against that.
Unless he sues you for emotional damage.
The amount of money he would burn up trying to sue someone he knows nothing about through the internet into a legal battle to sue them for being mean to him would ENSURE he becomes a jobless loser. Also being homeless tends to damage your ability to be a big mover and shaker in the social scenes, not very attractive either.

Top Bottom