• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Names in Official Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
This is an interesting thing that originated in the Snake thread, and then derailed the Shulk thread. The gist of it is that you search google with the text site:smashbros.com (https://www.google.com/#q=site:smashbros.com&safe=active) and the name of a character (also, for veterans and other character who appeared prev, throw --www.smashbros.com/wii at the end to filter out any results for the brawl site). This will search only the smash bros site for that character. And it'll some times turn up results even if that character is nowhere to be found, which could be a sign that the character is in the site's code and hasn't been revealed. I'll keep a spoiler in here for character/etc. that turn up these sorts of results. So, go nuts.

Alfonso
Ash
Ashley
Aura
Baby
Bash
Batman
Bayonetta
Blaster
Blue
Boomerang
Cackletta
Cake
Captain
Chibi
Christmas
Dark
Din
Dixie
Dragon
F-Zero
Falco
Farore
Food
Ganondorf
Giga
Goddess
Goku
Heaven
Heels
Icarus
Isabelle
Jigglypuff
Konami
Landmaster
Light
Lucas
Mewtwo
Mii
Miiverse
Nana
Nayru
Ness
Palutena
Pichu
Pimp
Princess
Protoman
Ray
Ridley
Robin
Roll
Sakurai
Santa
Secret
Shadow
Shulk
Snake
Star
Sun
Sword
Tails
Tetra
Tiki
Toad
Triforce
Twilight
Upperdash
Venusaur
Waluigi
Water
Wolf

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Alfonso causes it to react? I that case, I'm pretty sure that it's nothing of importance.

Anyone with a better knowledge of Google and coding that could clarify why it would be detecting these names?

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
With Pichu, Google just seems to interpret Pikachu as Pichu; doesn't seem like anything remotely interesting with that, at least.

However, this is definitely interesting. Ridley gets results on the Italian Wii Fit Trainer page and the French main page; not quite sure what, if anything, that could mean. Considering that Alfonso, several ATs and Tiki get results, only a few of these results really leap out as odd, particularly Shulk and Bayonetta. What is going on here? Names might just be embedded in the site to get hits from people looking for Nintendo stuff, but I hope at least a bit of this ends up being more fruitful than that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This is an interesting thing that originated in the Snake thread, and then derailed the Shulk thread. The gist of it is that you search google with the text site:smashbros.com (https://www.google.com/#q=site:smashbros.com&safe=active) and the name of a character (also, for veterans and other character who appeared prev, throw --www.smashbros.com/wii at the end to filter out any results for the brawl site). This will search only the smash bros site for that character. And it'll some times turn up results even if that character is nowhere to be found, which could be a sign that the character is in the site's code and hasn't been revealed. I'll keep a spoiler in here for character/etc. that turn up these sorts of results. So, go nuts.

Shulk
Konami
Mewtwo
Dixie
Ridley
Tails
Protoman
Ashley
Falco
Ganondorf
Isabelle
Lucas
Ness
Ray
Shadow
Snake
Tiki
Waluigi
Wolf
Venusaur
Bayonetta
Alfonso
Tetra
Robin
Pichu
Jigglypuff
So... What does this mean, exactly?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Considering that Alfonso, several ATs and Tiki get results, only a few of these results really leap out as odd, particularly Shulk and Bayonetta. What is going on here? Names might just be embedded in the site to get hits from people looking for Nintendo stuff, but I hope at least a bit of this ends up being more fruitful than that.
You're right. There are only a few that really mean anything. Is Bayonetta first, second, or third party?

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
"Captain Falcon" gets no results, but just "Captain" brings up the English Olimar and Pit pages. Olimar's a captain, and Pit does command Skyworld soldiers, but nothing on their pages brings those points up, so... Pure conjecture here, but could character biographies be hiding in the page code?

D

Deleted member

Shulk's case is pretty interesting to me. He only links to a single page and it is the one where you choose your language. I dunno... something tells me that this pseudo-confirms him. It's significant since he is a character that was created after Brawl and he links to Smash's website.
That and if you type in Konami, you get a link to Pit's page... perhaps it might mean something with Snake? Or maybe it has some left over data from the old DOJO!!?
Other oddities I noticed were that I couldn't find anything for "Pac-Man" or "Namco" or "Bandai", I searched up EarthBound's creator Shigesato Itoi and got nothing, and some big potential characters don't have any links (the most surprising ones being King K. Rool (outside Brawl links) and Chrom).

EDIT: Honestly, I don't think this means anything too much, but it kinda makes me curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Okay, 'site:smashbros.com goku' gets results; 'site:smashbros.com "goku"' does not.

Time to slap quotation marks on every previous search and verify that these names actually show up on the site.

Edit: So far, "ridley", "bayonetta", "alfonso", "dixie", "palutena", "shulk", and "ashley" give no results whatsoever. Meanwhile, "pit", "samus", and various other confirmed characters turn up plenty of results.

Granted, I don't know how exactly Google parses quoted searches; does it avoid anything that wouldn't be visible on the page, like hidden code and such? Still, this is worth keeping in mind. Continue digging; there could still be valuable things to be found, even if these character names turn out to be bogus.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
"Captain Falcon" gets no results, but just "Captain" brings up the English Olimar and Pit pages. Olimar's a captain, and Pit does command Skyworld soldiers, but nothing on their pages brings those points up, so... Pure conjecture here, but could character biographies be hiding in the page code?
Well that would certainly explain a lot. Here are some words that link to pages, pretty much no-brainers:

Aura = Lucario
Giga = Bowser
Dragon = Yoshi
Star, Landmaster = Fox
Triforce = Link

I'll try to find more, and BTW, the OP forgot Toad (he links to Peach's page).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, if I'm doing this right, Mii links to Zelda.

RyanCE

Smash Cadet
This doesn't mean anything at all.

YouTube videos are embedded on the official site, and it's likely that Google is just picking up character requests from the comments section.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

YouTube videos are embedded on the official site, and it's likely that Google is just picking up character requests from the comments section.
That's possible. At the same time, though, I have to wonder why there's nothing for characters like Chrom. You would think there would be some mention of him in all those comments.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice

There's a number that link to pages other than the main page, like character pages and language selection, and a few don't link at all to the main page. Some character pages have embedded videos, but not all do, and a few of these link to character pages that don't. While I am skeptical of this myself, I don't think your suggestion would prove beyond a doubt that none of these mean anything.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Goddess = Rosalina
Icarus, Palutena, Upperdash = Pit

Yeah this is real random.
Okay, if Palutena is dinging Pit's page, then perhaps quoted searches really don't take into account hidden page elements, as trying "palutena" brought up nothing; trying "upperdash", "icarus", and "goddess" all bring up nothing as well. Looks like quotation marks aren't going to be of much help in deducing validity.

Also, Second Power, could you perhaps edit the thread title to clarify what exactly this is all about? "site:smashbros.com X" doesn't really indicate what's going on.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Interesting, but that's a weird variety of characters. What's more, not all of those could be playable in Smash 4 therefore it means nothing.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm very interested in what happens here. Hidden biographies would make a lot of sense for this...but so would the comment theory.

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
BATMAN CONFIRMED

Seriously though, this is pretty interesting. I doubt it really means anything but it's kind of weird how certain things actually bring up results while others don't.

I personally hope that this has no actual connection to the roster, because "rool" didn't bring up anything. :yoshi64:

Dixie brings up DK and Diddy's character pages though so maybe they do have hidden character descriptions or something.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Proto Man? Besides the Konami bit, that's interesting, considering we already know of Elec Man. This list also shows Shadow and Tails though, so perhaps either we got more than one AT for 3rd parties or it could be including things as minor as trophies (and considering Tiki is on the list, that would make the most sense)

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Some of these do seem a bit random. Not sure what to think. I tried some obvious ones like Wario and nothing popped up. I tried some really random ones too like Cackletta and stuff showed up. Gonna reserve judgement until later.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yo OP, I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but I think you should organize the names, whether by vets vs. not yet playable in smash, or in alphabetical order!

Thanks! ^_^

Also, the Ivysaur vs. Venasaur vs. deconfirmed is a debate for another thread...and sub-forum!

Edit: When I found that all 4 links for Bayonetta lead to Zero Suit Samus (I was the guy who discovered it with her; or at least I think I was) I lol'd s hard.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

I think there is quite a bit of merit to this. If you do Mewtwo, it link's to Greninja's page. And what was one of the biggest reactions to Greninja? "I thought it was Mewtwo" or "where's Mewtwo?"
Also, someone else mentioned Bayonetta linking to Zamus' page and we know that a reaction to her heels was, "What, is she Bayonetta now?"

I find it strange that neither "chrom" nor "Lucina" give results in that case. I think this is meaningless, if "Goku" yields results this is really pretty useless in trying to predict anything.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Some of these do seem a bit random. Not sure what to think. I tried some obvious ones like Wario and nothing popped up. I tried some really random ones too like Cackletta and stuff showed up. Gonna reserve judgement until later.
Cackletta shows up as a sticker on the Dojo, not the Smash 4 site.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice

Nintendo has disabled comments on all of the videos.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Also, Second Power, could you perhaps edit the thread title to clarify what exactly this is all about? "site:smashbros.com X" doesn't really indicate what's going on.
Okay, I will, should I do something like "Tentative hidden code on Smash's site"? "Google Search algorithm giving weird results"? Or does anyone here have ideas.

Yo OP, I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but I think you should organize the names, whether by vets vs. not yet playable in smash, or in alphabetical order!
I'm going out soon, so I only have time to update the list up to this point. I'll do it when I get back.

Also, I wouldn't say Goku (http://smashboards.com/threads/goku-the-martial-arts-monkey-master.328600/) being a result means this is worthless... Though batman certainly hurts. I have no idea what any of this means, but like I said in the OP, this derailed the Shulk thread so I figured a thread was warranted.

Morbi

Scavenger
Interesting, but that's a weird variety of characters. What's more, not all of those could be playable in Smash 4 therefore it means nothing.
Hasty generalization fallacy; it doesn't mean "nothing," albeit I wouldn't assert that it means much.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Hasty generalization fallacy; it doesn't mean "nothing," albeit I wouldn't assert that it means much.
Yeah fair enough. It's just odd seeing tails, protoman, shadow, goku, and batman all here. I mean the first few I can see being costumes, but goku and batman?

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah fair enough. It's just odd seeing tails, protoman, shadow, goku, and batman all here. I mean the first few I can see being costumes, but goku and batman?
Yes; I wouldn't mind those characters, personally. But I can certainly see why no one would use this as a primary authority. I do believe that in certain instances it might yield "something" though. A Tiki assist trophy perhaps? That is honestly the most I expect out of it. I just didn't like the objective claim on a speculation forum, nothing personal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom