• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High/top tiers Vs Low/bottom tiers. What takes more skills?

Kratos1

Smash Rookie
Better characters don't need as much skill as characters that are not so great to win against. So what if a low tier beat a high tier (considering these 2 know what they are doing) what generally takes more skills. Also keep in mind that they both know the match up. But there is character advantage. What it comes down to is who has to worker harder and who is better If a low tier beat a high tier or the other way around. Cause reasons could be for the advantage or the character and skill or just the character or advantage.

So what is harder and what makes them the better player.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
you cant be so general about stuff like this in a fighting game...
its all about the character match-ups.
for example: two high chracters like Snake and ROB. ROB has an advantage even though Snake is generally considered higher on the list. but with two low characters- Bowser vs. Ness. Ness has an advantage becuase the matchup is in his favor... not becuase hes higher on the list.

if you just want to know who is hard to win with- play Ganondorf. He is hard to win with.
If you want to know who is easier to win with PLay Snake, ROB, or MK... they will be easier to win with than chracters like Ganon, Poke Trainer, or Jigglypuff.

Kratos1

Smash Rookie
you cant be so general about stuff like this in a fighting game...
its all about the character match-ups.
for example: two high chracters like Snake and ROB. ROB has an advantage even though Snake is generally considered higher on the list. but with two low characters- Bowser vs. Ness. Ness has an advantage becuase the matchup is in his favor... not becuase hes higher on the list.

if you just want to know who is hard to win with- play Ganondorf. He is hard to win with.
If you want to know who is easier to win with PLay Snake, ROB, or MK... they will be easier to win with than chracters like Ganon, Poke Trainer, or Jigglypuff.
So player skills does not come into account at all?

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
The better player is generally considered to be the one who wins. Winning games with a character like Captain Falcon or Ganondorf might garner some attention, but it won't, on it's own, make you more skilled than people who do the same with Meta Knight.

On that note, don't pay any attention to tiers, play as a character you like whose style suits you.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Bottom tier takes the most skill to use think about which char has the advantage MK or Yoshi.

Even though Yoshi should not be bottom

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Better characters don't need as much skill as characters that are not so great to win against.
Try playing well as Fox in Melee.
Just because the character is high tier doesn't mean the character is easy to play as. It is possible for a game to have characters in the low tiers who can be unwieldly to use (as in, too fast for anyone and I do mean anyone) and still have low tier qualities such as low damaging moves, probably only one reliable KO move, horrid recovery, bad range and bad priority.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
^^
Apart from MK.
Seriously, mashing B isn't that hard unless you're arthritic.
*runs*

No offence meant to the people who don't use MK like a spammy cow.
If they even exist

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it's all the same. With any character you need some time to get used to and practice.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^
Apart from MK.
*runs*

If they even exist
It takes quite an amount of suckitude for someone to lose to a Mach Tornado-spammer. Ever heard of the shield-button? Or rolling? Or airdodging? There are even moves that will go clean through it and hit Meta out of it.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
There's certain characters that take more skill to use effectively, but it's not necessarily along the lines of tiers. For example, in Melee, Sheik was a great character but was relatively easy to use, yet Fox is a much better character and is more difficult to use, and Captain Falcon was a decent character that was hard to use. It doesn't go in order from least skill to most.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It takes quite an amount of suckitude for someone to lose to a Mach Tornado-spammer. Ever heard of the shield-button? Or rolling? Or airdodging? There are even moves that will go clean through it and hit Meta out of it.
For Sonic (who has no priority or range, as it's been deemed by most)

Dair goes through a grouded one.
I've had a Bair go through one.
And Forward Smash breaks it if timed correctly, so does Dsmash.
Ftilt outranges and prioritizes it.
Moar but I've proved my point.

I'm not actually a ******, so there's no need to talk down to me.
When did I claim that I can't handle a tornado spammer?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The MK tornado kinda reminds me of a buffed up version of Mewtwos Nair.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not actually a ******, so there's no need to talk down to me.
When did I claim that I can't handle a tornado spammer?
When did I claim you did?

You, however, insinuated that spamming B is a legit tactic that actually works in high levels of play.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Ever heard of the shield-button? Or rolling? Or airdodging?
Then.

And yeah I'm insinuating that, because it's a vaild point. I've seen pros lose against Metaknights who do nothing but tornado and shuttle loop through the entire set.

RDK

Smash Hero
When did I claim you did?

You, however, insinuated that spamming B is a legit tactic that actually works in high levels of play.
He's not talking about solely spamming the tornado and shuttle loop to win; he's saying using those as the majority of their options to an advantage. I've seen plenty of matches where a competent MK went up against a great Bowser and just spammed B and shuttle looped intelligently to win the match.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Prediction is a lot more important than individual character skills. As long as you're good at predicting and punishing your opponent while not being predictable yourself, you will be good with any character.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Regardless whether you play high or low tiers, you need to have the skill to play Brawl in general, which is probably more important than your skill with any of the 35 characters in the game.

But yes, if it's harder to win with a certain character, you will need more skill than your opponent. IE, there are some things you will have to perfect shield in order to punish appropriately. If the case is that you're opponent is being predictable, and you're still losing, you just need to learn how to counter it. However, if you find that your character has NO chance of countering your opponent's predictability, that's a sure sign that you should use a higher-tier character.

Servebot vs Cable in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is a good example (not counting assists).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
He's not talking about solely spamming the tornado and shuttle loop to win; he's saying using those as the majority of their options to an advantage. I've seen plenty of matches where a competent MK went up against a great Bowser and just spammed B and shuttle looped intelligently to win the match.
I don't care if that Bowser was great, he played pretty badly if he fell for Mach Tornado spamming. Using iit a lot, but still sparingly, yes. Spamming, no.

Either the Bowser can't punish it for some reason (bad!) or he leaves himself open so much it works (also bad!).

Kratos1

Smash Rookie
With some characters its not that easy. And your sheild gets eaten so you cant just shield 24/7. You will at some point get shield stabbed and get caught in it. if it was that easy, it would not be spammed. Players spam it causes you will mostly likely get away with it and not EASY to punish or get away from.

There's certain characters that take more skill to use effectively, but it's not necessarily along the lines of tiers. For example, in Melee, Sheik was a great character but was relatively easy to use, yet Fox is a much better character and is more difficult to use, and Captain Falcon was a decent character that was hard to use. It doesn't go in order from least skill to most.
Well if that is the case character match ups override skills then no?

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
So player skills does not come into account at all?
i was talking about character match-ups, and who is considered harder/ easier to win with.
just because you win with a low tier character does NOT mean you are better than your opponent if the match-up is in your favor. It doesnt mean your worse either, but you have to consider match-ups not just tier rankings.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
^^
Apart from MK.
*runs*

If they even exist
i have beaten quite a few meta knights with a memorable little guy named ike...(Fair spam) (Usmash spam)

Ok so what about if you win with a low tier and you don't have the advantage?
it could be that the opponent sucks hard...

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
With some characters its not that easy. And your sheild gets eaten so you cant just shield 24/7. You will at some point get shield stabbed and get caught in it. if it was that easy, it would not be spammed. Players spam it causes you will mostly likely get away with it and not EASY to punish or get away from.

Well if that is the case character match ups override skills then no?

about spam...

it is VERY easy to punish...

you jump off the edge and grab it...then the opponent (most of the time)will be dumb enough to move toward you...

smaci92

Smash Lord
bottom tiers take the most skill. I've switched from yoshi to metaknight and I was like, "Wow!" metaknight is easy to learn. so then I just switched to ZSS and I'm happy with the mid tiers

Tenki

Smash Hero
Meh,

Lower tiers have to work harder to win. Not necessarily that it takes more skill to use them, but they require more effort to pull off results like people using higher tiered characters would.

Sometimes I question why I can kill a scrub with Falcon in under two minutes while losing 1-2 stocks but 3stock the guy with Sonic and take twice the time.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Play as GaW, he's impossible to beat!!! I fought somebody online the other day whose main I can beat almost always, but he tried GaW and just used bair over and over and over and over, and I couldn't find anyway to get around it.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
There is a difference in mastering a character and playing a character competetively. Sometimes it takes quite a bit more effort to master a certain character regardless of being higher in tiers than it does to master a different lower tiered character.

Example in point Toon Link and Ike. Toon Link has more depth than Ike does so he is harder to master. Ike however will need more effort to be played competetively because of much worse matchups.

By the way, Meta Knight is hard to play at levels like that of DSF, Dojo, Xivi, and especially m2k. However he is easier to play at high level competetive play considering his awesome matchups.

Kratos1

Smash Rookie
Play as GaW, he's impossible to beat!!! I fought somebody online the other day whose main I can beat almost always, but he tried GaW and just used bair over and over and over and over, and I couldn't find anyway to get around it.
I hope this is a joke.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
if that Bair isn't spaced right it can be shield grabbed. also can't you roll around it, or airdodge past it? i believe there are some moves that can go through it too right?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If the tier list is well made? Low tiers take more skill to win with than high tiers.

That's kind of the point.

Top Bottom