• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Higher Controller Port

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
So I've picked up Bowser, and I think I'm pretty decent. I knew Bowser ATs in Melee like fortress-hogging, up-b oos, flame cancelling, etc.

Anyways, I've played some matches in SSBB as Bowser, and they've all been as controller port 1. I've yet to try a controller port higher than my opponents. How important do you all think a lower controller port is?

Clearly, it opens up options with Bowserciding on the last stock, and that's been a lot of my game. I'd say at least 75% of my matches end with me on my last stock, low damage versus an opponent on his last stock and higher damage, which lets me bowsercide easily due to more effective DI.

I guess controller port doesn't really affect it until that last stock, but isn't it still really important?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't think the controller has anything to do with it.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I don't think the controller has anything to do with it.
Well then you're wrong. Bowserciding effectiveness IS controlled by controller ports. It's pretty useful to be player 1 but it's not like it's anything majorly game changing, just because you're in port 1 doesn't mean you're going to be playing better than them so it's not really a big deal. It'll always give you the sudden death opportunity anyways.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Well then you're wrong. Bowserciding effectiveness IS controlled by controller ports. It's pretty useful to be player 1 but it's not like it's anything majorly game changing, just because you're in port 1 doesn't mean you're going to be playing better than them so it's not really a big deal. It'll always give you the sudden death opportunity anyways.
So what, being player ones makes Bowsersides always kill the other guy first or something?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It's reasonably important because it changes the mechanics of the game otherwise.

If Bowser Bowsercides on his last stock (and the opponent's last stock), the enemy dies first, giving Bowser the win, but if Bowser is 2P or higher, it goes to sudden death for some reason.

Just more proof that Brawl is a buggy, unbalanced mess, I suppose.

salaboB

Smash Champion
If Bowser Bowsercides on his last stock (and the opponent's last stock), the enemy dies first, giving Bowser the win, but if Bowser is 2P or higher, it goes to sudden death for some reason.

Just more proof that Brawl is a buggy, unbalanced mess, I suppose.
It makes perfect sense from a programming standpoint, but it's still terrible design.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I agree, and it's the same in Melee/64, I believe: if two players die at the same time, it considers the higher player the one who died first.

Something this obvious should've NEVER made it past beta testing, though.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it wouldn't make it past beta if the developers gave a **** about competitive play, but in their minds it barely exists. So they just didn't care about it because it's random and fun and they didn't think it would matter in the grand scheme of things.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
yah, the developers don't care about competitive play at all, it isn't what makes them the money. Face it, they don't care about us, and that's why Brawl didn't meet most expectations

HybridEntity

Smash Rookie
@airgemini - I read that guide and it said that the match should've resulted with a sudden death after the Klawcide. I'll post up a question in that guide as well.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's a huge difference when you play the way I play.

Look at it this way: If we played a one stock game, it would be a humungous advantage. I could kill you at 0% with bowsercide.

In a three stock game it's not. So i focus on making it a one stock game. If we are both at 50% and i land a side B, i bowsercide. If my friend is at 90%, and I'm at 70%, I bowsercide. Even though he had more damage than me, I'm taking a loss just so i can get to that one stock game. And i do get to that one stock game (usually by bowserciding one stock, and earning another. Or by earning, bowserciding, then sucking and losing a stock and having it 1v1).

I really want controller port one. At tournaments, I'm gonna hope no one knows, and I'm gonna try to act like my IQ is 69 and say "But, Danny always lets me be player one. I want to be player one. Danny says i should be player one because i'm left handed". And say that while cross-eyed.

Top Bottom