• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HitStun or Input Dropping Difference?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Hey there,
I'm coming from playing about 6 months solid of Melee on a weekly basis to playing PM more often now
(Not my decision, mainly the decision of the smash community here in ptbo because there's monthly tournaments for PM and not Melee)
Now I play Fox, Peach, and Lucas. I don't have enough experience to talk about Peach or Lucas for hitstun wise, but does hitstun last longer in this game?
So many times in melee, I'll be hit into the air and my secondary jump will come out, but in PM it will be the same situation and either the input is dropped or I'm stuck in never-ending hitstun it seems.
Does anyone have an explanation or am I just being dumb?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey there,
I'm coming from playing about 6 months solid of Melee on a weekly basis to playing PM more often now
(Not my decision, mainly the decision of the smash community here in ptbo because there's monthly tournaments for PM and not Melee)
Now I play Fox, Peach, and Lucas. I don't have enough experience to talk about Peach or Lucas for hitstun wise, but does hitstun last longer in this game?
So many times in melee, I'll be hit into the air and my secondary jump will come out, but in PM it will be the same situation and either the input is dropped or I'm stuck in never-ending hitstun it seems.
Does anyone have an explanation or am I just being dumb?
You're just being dumb :p

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Melee has a 20 frame jump buffer at the end of hitstun in many cases. Project M lacks this. The two games have the same hitstun multipliers, but Project M no longer babies you and lets you press jump way before it will even come out and still successfully get the jump however many frames later, you will actually have to time your jumps properly to escape combos in PM. The lack of this buffer in PM also lets you SDI kill moves pre-emptively while in hitstun without the possibility of wasting your double jump on the chance your opponent decides to delay or drop combo in favor of a different follow-up. This is a good thing.

rpotts

Smash Lord
this is why i SD as falcon when i hit shield and continue off stage =p

its a learning curve, but you get there.
The jump buffer DrinkingFood is referring to does not apply to airdodge or other inputs. I'm assuming you're talking about sliding off the stage and airdodging when you're trying to get your shield up or wavedash or whatever.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If you connect a hit with someone's shield and go off stage, you'll need to jump your jump press after the lag on your move has ended. It's just hitlag pushing the timing of it further away.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If you pressed too early before the move's lag ended, you will not jump.

Narpas_sword

which is just incorrect timing, rather than a lack of buffer?
Ie, there was no buffer for that in melee?

(think i got it lol)

next question.

If in the OP's situation the jump is pressed too early in hitstun, and doesn't register, are you able to jump immediately (if you time it) when you are allowed, or is there a cooldown on jump inputs?

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
No fail window, kind of like Up B meteor cancels. Mashing is your best bet if you aren't sure.

Narpas_sword

Sweet, so what we may be interpreting as 'more hitstun' is in fact hitting jump too early (due to no buffer, this doesnt ignite when its able) then the time it takes to hit jump the second time is just that little bit longer that it feels like hitstun is huge?

#Thingsivelearnedtoday

Last edited:
Top Bottom